So #8

spndnchz

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I would do rossi / holtz, but I wouldn't mind Askarov myself.

What do you like more about Holtz than Seth Jarvis or even Rodion Amirov?

Im just going to answer my own question and say, the shot, it’s elite.  I have several concerns about Holtz though.

1) His shot is elite, but I’m concerned that he does not create his own scoring chances and will be upon someone to create for him.

2) I think part of the reason he has been good as a prospect is that he seems to have been pretty physically mature for his age.  He still has some growth left in this area, but probably not as much as a lot of other guys.

3) I don’t think he has any other standout skills apart from shooting.  I worry that he will end up being a one dimensional player.

4) The Sabres already have a couple long term, top 6 wingers who are pretty one dimensional.  I think that they should look to acquire more diverse skill sets.

5) I think the Sabres need to play with more determination and intensity.  I don’t see Holtz as weak in these areas, but I don’t think he stands out either.

For these reasons combined, I question what Holtz will be as a final product and I question his fit for the Sabres. 

Edited by Curt

I'm not sure about this Holtz needs someone to create for him narrative.

If it means he'll score 40 on Jack's wing and 25 on Staal's, I agree. But he's a goal scorer. He will get himself into scoring position, and he will finish, no matter who he's playing with.

It's two-way street; whoever centres him is going to get a lot more easy assists.

I think my list right now is:

Rossi

Perfetti

Raymond

Drysdale

Sanderson

Quinn

Holtz

Lundell

I won't be upset if they pick any, and the only way I will be disappointed is if Rossi or Perfetti is available and they take someone else.

Well we know who the 10 on Ottawa's list are (IMPO). 

1. Lafrienere
  2. Byfield
  3. Stutzle
  4. Drysdale
  5. Rossi
  6. Perfetti
  7. Sanderson
  8. Holtz
  9. Raymond
  10. Quinn

That is the order listed in the article and normally I would discount the SM team posting this but the inclusion of Quinn who has previously been linked to the Sens makes me think they were given this list. Now whether or not that is in a ranking order or just the random order they put it up is subjective but Rossi sitting there at 5 is interesting. It is a long shot but it could be in preferred order in which case they could take Byfield/Stutzle and then Drysdale. Just something interesting to ponder, way more interesting than the nothingburger of the Eichel thread. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade up for Rossi. 8 and idk, something to move up to 5. 

He won't. 

Could Stutzle drop to 5?  That's when I move up.  And I would give up #8 and next year's 1st without even blinking, so I would have to add...

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Could Stutzle drop to 5?  That's when I move up.  And I would give up #8 and next year's 1st without even blinking, so I would have to add...

Realistically, I think it’s pretty certain that he is going 2 or 3.

I’m not convinced that he should rated so highly as to command such a steep trade price that you propose.  I wouldn’t have him ranked any higher than 5th.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I’m not convinced that he should rated so highly as to command such a steep trade price that you propose.  I wouldn’t have him ranked any higher than 5th.

If we keep the pick and stay pat we'll come away with a good prospect. What I'm hoping for is at least one of the defensemen getting selected pushing down a forward. From most of the draft sites that I have looked at the top 10 has had little variation. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Stutzle reminds me of what I liked about Draisaitl.  JMO

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Curious, what’s that?

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just saw Pronmans new list. It's well written but he's overly obsessed with size. 

He's German?

It's nothing tangible.  Just a gut feeling.  Of course, considering that my gut is too big and too unfit to trust, that's a bad, bad reason.

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

List of OHL players who have scored more goals than Jack Quinn (52) in their draft year since 98-99:

Patrick Kane (62)
Steven Stamkos (58)
John Tavares (58)

It's funny how people used to put way too much emphasis on points, and now they barely pay any attention to them at all.

The production of Quinn, Perfetti and Rossi should not be overlooked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.