So #8

spndnchz

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

Regarding Raymond and what you implied as a perceived lack of sacrifice or effort.  He doesn’t lack in those areas, he excels in them.  In addition to being very skilled, he is a diligent 200 ft player, and he came into his just started season having worked hard in the time off, adding a lot of muscle.

I think of his ceiling as a Marian Hossa/Daniel Alfredsson type of complete winger.

I would be excited to draft him at #8.

You think he has an HOF level ceiling? 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Hard workers with solid underlying numbers would be my guess. Very much in the same line as Cozens. 

I agree that will be his bias, but which highly-rated guys don't fit that?

@sabresparaavida's info would seem to suggest there are multiple guys ranked between 5-10 that he doesn't like.

Also suggests that we shouldn't be surprised if he "reaches" for Jarvis.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Who do you think are the guys Adams expects to be choosing from and doesn't particularly like?

No idea.  I wouldn’t have any insight into what Adams is thinking about the top draft prospects.

Who even said that he is targeting hard working type prospects?  It’s just speculation, right?

Edited by Curt

2 hours ago, Weave said:

You think he has an HOF level ceiling? 

Sure, why not?  He is a very good prospect with a very high ceiling.  He is one of the top 5 prospects IMO.  Of course it’s unlikely.  It would be a result of him exceeding expectations.

My player examples were more to demonstrate the TYPE of player he could become.  Skilled, point producing, defensively responsible winger who you want on the ice in all situations.  I don’t know if he will be as good as those two guys, but I think he could be.

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jake Sanderson has had two interviews with New Jersey 

It makes sense to me that the Devils would be interested in a D-man.

No young studs on the roster, and only Ty Smith meets that category in the system. Two first overall centres, plus another recent top 10 guy in Zacha.

Hasn't been the narrative though.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curt said:

Regarding Raymond and what you implied as a perceived lack of sacrifice or effort.  He doesn’t lack in those areas, he excels in them.  In addition to being very skilled, he is a diligent 200 ft player, and he came into his just started season having worked hard in the time off, adding a lot of muscle.

I think of his ceiling as a Marian Hossa/Daniel Alfredsson type of complete winger.

I would be excited to draft him at #8.

I like Raymond too, I've heard him compared stylistically to Marner?

Just don't think he'll be there at 8. 

@dudacek, I'm hoping/guessing the "guys Adams doesn't like much" refers to players like Holtz and Perfetti. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Sure, why not?  He is a very good prospect with a very high ceiling.  He is one of the top 5 prospects IMO.  Of course it’s unlikely.  It would be a result of him exceeding expectations.

My player examples were more to demonstrate the TYPE of player he could become.  Skilled, point producing, defensively responsible winger who you want on the ice in all situations.  I don’t know if he will be as good as those two guys, but I think he could be.

He'll definitely never match the flow of Krusty from the Sens. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I like Raymond too, I've heard him compared stylistically to Marner?

Just don't think he'll be there at 8. 

I think he will be stronger than Marner.  I hope he shows Marner’s puck skills in the NHL!

I just wanted to point out that he is not a low effort or offense only type of player.  He is a hard working, 200 foot player who can play in all situations.

Edited by Curt

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think he will be stronger than Marner.  I hope he shows Marner’s puck skills in the NHL!

I just wanted to point out that he is not a low effort or offense only type of player.  He is a hard working, 200 foot player who can play in all situations.

As is Marner. 

4 hours ago, Curt said:

If I am comparing a guy, I am using a similar level as the comparison, not someone levels above.  If we are saying that someone has Lidstrom ceiling, we are implying that he has a complete game, excellent skating, excellent decision making at a level Lidtrom was at, possibly GOAT.  If we are talking about those same skills but at another level, Neidermeyer is a better comparable.  Or Teppo.  And much more reasoanble.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

If I am comparing a guy, I am using a similar level as the comparison, not someone levels above.  If we are saying that someone has Lidstrom ceiling, we are implying that he has a complete game, excellent skating, excellent decision making at a level Lidtrom was at, possibly GOAT.  If we are talking about those same skills but at another level, Neidermeyer is a better comparable.  Or Teppo.  And much more reasoanble.

That’s why I compared him to Hossa/Alfredsson instead of Jagr.

You asked if that’s what I thought his ceiling was.  I do, although it’s unlikely that he reaches that level.  Just as it’s unlikely that most players reach their absolute ceiling.

I also said the comparison was more instructive as to player type than a prediction of exactly how good Raymond will be.

I guess this is why player comparisons kinda suck.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Marek said he's hearing Ottawa is debating Sanderson (?) Askarov (?!) and Quinn )(!?!?!?!?!) at five,

Any of those and we should be golden for Rossi or Perfetti.

Really depends on what Ottawa does at 3. They could take Perfetti or Rossi at 3. If Byfield is there, I think they take him so depends on LA now as well. Quinn makes sense for Ottawa on paper. He played close to there and they know him, winger that scores, bigger than Rossi which I bet they favor. 

1. Lafrienere (NYR)
  2. Stutzle (LA, makes sense considering their center depth)
  3. Byfield (OTT)
  4. Perfetti (DET)
  5. Quinn (OTT)
  6. Drysdale (ANA)
  7. Raymond (NJD)
  8. Rossi (BUF)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.