So #8

spndnchz

55 minutes ago, FLSabreFan said:

Love Rossi, he's my favorite, but seems like NJ snags him if available.

Lundell makes a ton of sense if you believe Cozens is a 2C; making for a future down the spine of Echel, Cozens, Lundell...that would be sweet.

Holtz dosn't get enough love here...Sabres could use an elite finisher on the RW, I'd be fine with him.

Let's hope Rossi drops in our lap!!!

The Ducks I am most scared of taking Rossi.  NJ has Hughes and Hischier.  A third small centre seems redundant.  I could dee them going for a dman or sniping winger for those two centres to play with.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Trade, Drysdale, Rossi, Jarvis, Lundell is my order of preference for those I could see being available (though Drysdale is pretty unlikely). 

Assuming of course that Laf, Byfield, and Stutzle are gone, and likely Raymond, too. 

Not very enamoured with Perfetti, Holtz, and Sanderson. 

I’ll play, assuming Lafrenière, Byfield, Stutzle are gone:

Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, Lundell, Sanderson, Drysdale, Jarvis

We both don't want Holtz

Surprised you have Sanderson above Jarvis. 

I'd be pretty happy with anyone I mentioned in my preference order, and I could talk myself into Perfetti. Pretty much anyone but Holtz and Sanderson I could settle. 

Edited by Thorny

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We both don't want Holtz

Surprised you have Sanderson above Jarvis. 

I'd be pretty happy with anyone I mentioned in my preference order, and I could talk myself into Perfetti. Pretty much anyone but Holtz and Sanderson I could settle. 

I like Sanderson more than most I guess. I think he is a complete player.  His offensive game is underrated.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

I like Sanderson more than most I guess. I think he is a complete player.  His offensive game is underrated.

He's missing that flashy offensive ability that people might be looking for in a defenseman at 8, but I agree.  Very solid, complete player and I'd be very happy to have him.  He has that Seth Appert connection from the NTDP as well.

I think we're overthinking this one a bit; Holtz and Sanderson might not be as attractive as other possibilities in terms of the style I like, or team needs, but they are good players who could be top 5 picks in many years and will be in the NHL for a long-time.

I have 9 players I'd be fine with at #8

Rossi/Perfetti

Drysdale/Holtz/Lundell/Quinn/Jarvis/Sanderson/Raymond

We are only overthinking it in the sense that there's no way to know for sure who should be the pick until we see what these guys become. But a couple/few of these players are not going to be as good as what's being bandied about. We aren't overthinking it in an "oh of course they are all good picks" type way. Some will not be good picks relative to what was available. 

I do not like Holtz or Sanderson as a pick in that spot. 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think we're overthinking this one a bit; Holtz and Sanderson might not be as attractive as other possibilities in terms of the style I like, or team needs, but they are good players who could be top 5 picks in many years and will be in the NHL for a long-time.

I have 9 players I'd be fine with at #8

Rossi/Perfetti

Drysdale/Holtz/Lundell/Quinn/Jarvis/Sanderson/Raymond

We just do not know that. One could be Mittelstadt, who's far from a guarantee right now. 

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We are only overthinking it in the sense that there's no way to know for sure who should be the pick until we see what these guys become. But a couple/few of these players are not going to be as good as what's being bandied about. We aren't overthinking it in an "oh of course they are all good picks" type way. Some will not be good picks. 

I do not like Holtz or Sanderson as a pick in that spot. 

We just do not know that. 

Of course we don't know. It's prospects and that means pure speculation. We're both talking about our impressions based on reading and internet video scouting.

You don't like those two at that spot. I am in the weird, rare, and kinda blissful position of liking all the possibilities and seeing all of them helping us down the road.

I see Rossi as a pretty safe bet to be Saku Koivu. Love his game and his fit as a our 2C or 3C moving forward.

I see Perfetti with a Willie Nylander floor and the upside of being the highest scoring point producer in this draft. I think he has the brain and the hands to be deadly with Cozens or Eichel down the road and elevate their games.

I see Drysdale as a pretty safe bet to be Ryan Ellis or Cam Fowler and Sanderson landing between Pesce and Slavin. We could use guys like that moving forward.

I see Holtz as Thomas Vanek, Jarvis as a pretty safe Travis Konecny or Nick Ehlers, and Quinn as a Jason Pominville who can be Mark Stone. Any of them complete our top six.

Raymond's skill level is at Perfetti's level and Lundell's hockey sense and professionalism is first-rate. They're the two I worried about busting the most, because they are mirror images of each other. But they both have qualities that could see them boom as well.

I just really like this group.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/five-for-marco-rossi/

FC: Six weird months lead up to the draft. How do you use this time to your advantage? What have you been up to?
MR: Normally you don’t have that much time to focus on your body. I started working out middle of March. We had so much time and still have a lot of time. Big improvements to my whole body, I got stronger and faster and improved everything.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Marco Rossi has a good chance of being the best player in this draft. He's driven. I'm curious to see if he makes an nhl team right away. He's been training hard the last 6 months and I think he'll be physically ready. 

Behind Askarov, he is firmly my number 2 of the players who have a chance to still be there at 8

Two scouts on Jack Quinn:

Scout in favor: “He’s a top 5-7 pick for me. He has elite skill and hockey sense.  He competes. The skating has improved a lot to being a strength. He scored 50 goals. He keeps getting so much better year after year. I think he’s going to be a big-time player.”

Scout against: “I look at a highly skilled guy who lacks size and speed, who is an older prospect without much of a great track record, and using a high pick on him would worry me a lot. He’s good, but that one could be a bit of a mirage.”

If you are a scout, how much weight do you give to the draft year compared to the overall body of work? Raymond would be the flip side of that discussion. (I love the tape I've seen of Quinn's game)

Edited by dudacek

Interesting argument on Lundell, as well. I'd love to be in the room to watch the scouts debate their way through their board.

Scout in favor: “He’s a top-two line center all day for me. His sense and compete are great. He’s more skilled than people give him credit for. If he was playing in the CHL, he’d be making the highlight reel plays, but he’s been up versus men the last two years.”

Scout against: “I just don’t see his game translating to the NHL. He’s a third-line center, maybe even a fourth-line center for me. I just don’t see the speed or skill in his game.”

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Two scouts on Jack Quinn:

Scout in favor: “He’s a top 5-7 pick for me. He has elite skill and hockey sense.  He competes. The skating has improved a lot to being a strength. He scored 50 goals. He keeps getting so much better year after year. I think he’s going to be a big-time player.”

Scout against: “I look at a highly skilled guy who lacks size and speed, who is an older prospect without much of a great track record, and using a high pick on him would worry me a lot. He’s good, but that one could be a bit of a mirage.”

If you are a scout, how much weight do you give to the draft year compared to the overall body of work? Raymond would be the flip side of that discussion.

A lot of scouts over value whatever their first impression of a guy was when they were 16 and carry that onwards. Scouts have tons of biases and if you read enough of their reports you can see the patterns. 

My concern with Quinn is that 1/3 of his goals came on the PP. Also it is noteworthy that he did not produce the year before. Usually you want to see a steadier upward trend for a guy like him instead of a surprise jump but that said, I would lean more into what scout 1 says minus the top 5 pick thing. 

And Hendrix Laperriere:

Scout in favor: “He has so much skill and he’s a very smart player. It’s first-round skill all day. At the Hlinka Gretzky, he looked like a top-10 pick. If he looks healthy again, I realize there’s some risk, but I think you got to go after him in the first round at some point; there’s too much player there.”

Scout against: “I wouldn’t use a top-50 pick on him. The injuries … the two goals in 19 games, his game lacks pace. He looks healthy now and then you use a high pick and in two or three years those issues always seem to pop back up again. At some point it becomes worth it, but that point will be later than where he’ll likely go.”

Whole article here:

https://theathletic.com/2024720/2020/09/24/nhl-draft-prospects-up-for-debate-who-causes-the-biggest-divide-among-scouts/

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Interesting argument on Lundell, as well. I'd love to be in the room to watch the scouts debate their way through their board.

Scout in favor: “He’s a top-two line center all day for me. His sense and compete are great. He’s more skilled than people give him credit for. If he was playing in the CHL, he’d be making the highlight reel plays, but he’s been up versus men the last two years.”

Scout against: “I just don’t see his game translating to the NHL. He’s a third-line center, maybe even a fourth-line center for me. I just don’t see the speed or skill in his game.”

This is why you need to bring analytics into the conversation. For example Seth Jarvis was something like 5th in controlled entries for draft eligible players, where as Quinn I think was 20th or something, I wish I had the tweet but that is when you can dive into the numbers and really figure it out. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is why you need to bring analytics into the conversation. For example Seth Jarvis was something like 5th in controlled entries for draft eligible players, where as Quinn I think was 20th or something, I wish I had the tweet but that is when you can dive into the numbers and really figure it out. 

But what does that have to do with Lundell piece you quoted?

Just asking for my wife.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

These guys are all going to be JAGs.

They aren't and you are only saying that because you want Buffalo to trade the pick. 

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

thats why you roll the dice and draft the best goalie prospect since Price. 

No. You don't draft goalies in the top 10 and you certainly don't draft goalies coming from a very skewed league in the top 10. Top goalies can be found outside of the top 10 and routinely are. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’d throw a defensive prospect and 8 to Anaheim for 6 if Rossi is still on the board 

I'd throw Montour and 8 to Ottawa and take him at 5. (maybe ask ottawa for a 2nd round pick or something along those lines to balance it out)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.