So #8

spndnchz

49 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why does Sabres twitter dislike Perfetti? You are the biggest backer of his I've seen pretty much anywhere Sabres related

Start with the fact he's a LW, then add how he isn't fast, he isn't big and he doesn't play with pace — the latter being the biggest sin in internet fandom these days.

All of those things except position can also be said about Sam Reinhart. Perfetti has Reinhart's brain with better hands. He's way more comfortable carrying the puck and he can beat guys one-on-one. I think he might become the highest point-producer out of this draft.

It's interesting you ask on the day Wheeler came out with this, because I found myself nodding my head in full agreement.

4. Cole Perfetti — LW, Saginaw Spirit, 5-foot-10.5

"There’s this thing that seems to happen with players who are labelled “smart” where, like those who are labelled “two-way,” their skill level doesn’t get the love it deserves. But it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Perfetti sees the game differently than everyone else in this class. He sees seams others don’t. He recognizes the way opposing defenders are reading the zone before the defenders even recognize what they’re seeing in that zone. And the more you watch him, the more so-called concerns of strength or speed begin to fade. He has an indescribable knack for finding pockets of space to get open into (or for giving the puck to a linemate just as he enters into one of them). He’s one or two steps ahead of everyone else. Those things shouldn’t discount the rest of his tools, though. Because he grades near the top of this draft class as a stickhandler, individual creator and shooter as well. He’s also one of the best draft-eligible prospects off the rush that I’ve seen in recent memory. And he doesn’t just make everyone else better, he can break open a game too. The reasons for ranking him a few spots lower have always been his skating or his strength. At this point, I’m going to keep standing by my evaluation."

Edited by dudacek

It is VERY unlikely Drysdale is available at 8. Most have him as the best D man in the draft and a tier above the rest of the D men.

I don't know why but I think Chevy is going to go a bit off the board at 10. Maybe Lapierre or someone like that. I'd love Drysdale though.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So you project him better than Reinhart? That's saying something. 

Well, Reinhart didn't turn out as good as I thought he would, so maybe I'm just a sucker for smart hockey players.  😄

Perfetti did put up better numbers than Sam did in his draft year, and in a better league. And unlike Rossi, the only guy to score more, he wasn't on a loaded team.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Start with the fact he's a LW, then add how he isn't fast, he isn't big and he doesn't play with pace — the latter being the biggest sin in internet fandom these days.

All of those things except position can also be said about Sam Reinhart. Perfetti has Reinhart's brain with better hands. He's way more comfortable carrying the puck and he can beat guys one-on-one. I think he might become the highest point-producer out of this draft.

It's interesting you ask on the day Wheeler came out with this, because I found myself nodding my hand in full agreement.

Cole Perfetti — LW, Saginaw Spirit, 5-foot-10.5

"There’s this thing that seems to happen with players who are labelled “smart” where, like those who are labelled “two-way,” their skill level doesn’t get the love it deserves. But it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Perfetti sees the game differently than everyone else in this class. He sees seams others don’t. He recognizes the way opposing defenders are reading the zone before the defenders even recognize what they’re seeing in that zone. And the more you watch him, the more so-called concerns of strength or speed begin to fade. He has an indescribable knack for finding pockets of space to get open into (or for giving the puck to a linemate just as he enters into one of them). He’s one or two steps ahead of everyone else. Those things shouldn’t discount the rest of his tools, though. Because he grades near the top of this draft class as a stickhandler, individual creator and shooter as well. He’s also one of the best draft-eligible prospects off the rush that I’ve seen in recent memory. And he doesn’t just make everyone else better, he can break open a game too. The reasons for ranking him a few spots lower have always been his skating or his strength. At this point, I’m going to keep standing by my evaluation."

I kind of view Perfetti as similar to what Mittelstadt was/is supposed to be.  Not big, not fast, but just amazing hands, a good shot, and tons of creative playmaking.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I kind of view Perfetti as similar to what Mittelstadt was/is supposed to be.  Not big, not fast, but just amazing hands, a good shot, and tons of creative playmaking.

I don't. Casey's skillset was all one-on-one and as a teen he played with great pace.

Perfetti's skill set is all about two-on-ones, creating them and exploiting them. He sees the ice way better than Casey and can slow the game down. It's his greatest strength. (It's also the thing I look for first in a hockey player because I believe it's how the game is won).

But you may have landed on another reason why Sabres Twitter doesn't like Cole.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't. Casey's skillset was all one-on-one and as a teen he played with great pace.

Perfetti's skill set is all about two-on-ones, creating them and exploiting them. He sees the ice way better than Casey. It's his greatest strength. (It's also the thing I look for first in a hockey player because I believe it's how the game is won).

But you may have landed on another reason why Sabres Twitter doesn't like Cole.

Not what Casey is, but what he was supposed to be.  What he was hyped and sold as.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not what Casey is, but what he was supposed to be.  What he was hyped and sold as.

I understand that's what you meant, I'm just saying that comparing them as an 18-year-olds, they play(ed) much different games.

Edited by dudacek

9 hours ago, jsb said:

What do you think of the Russian kid in the 2nd round.... Marat Khusnutdinovhe's been shooting up the ranks lately.

I'm also curious why Holtz gets disrespected from you guys, all the draft gurus love this kid and have him ranked higher than Jarvis, Lundell and some other highly regarded guys here. 

Haven't looked at Marat much just read that he's got talent. 

Holtz is good, I just want a different type of player. Personally I think Holtz would be perfect for NJ with their wealth of playmaking centers. 

2 hours ago, Shootica said:

If we're comparing to recent Sabres' picks, I see a lot more Nylander than Mittelstadt in Perfetti's game.  A little Reinhart too, as someone mentioned.

Obviously they're different players, but I'd personally rather go with a different archetype at 8.

Perfetti probably isn't going to be available at 8 but this^. We have players that dissect the game and let it come to them and then attack. I want a few more players that just straight up attack. 

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Form Wheeler's Q&A today:

Michael M.
4h ago

Who do the Sabres take at 8? Based on your prior projections
like-icon@2x.png

Scott W.
4h ago

@Michael M. Alexander Holtz or one of Sanderson/Drysdale.

Oh no. 

Holtz isn't even a pick I'd be "okay" with, I'd want a play-driver at that spot. Not a guy to "play with Eichel". Sanderson, no, not with how unbalanced our pool already is towards the D, I just don't see him being BPA in that spot by any sort of significant amount. 

Drysdale would be good, I can't see him falling to 8 though. If Wheeler's statement is in any way accurate, it sounds like they either have Holtz as the guy, if he's there, or they are reasonably certain he'd be there, and plan to weigh the pros/cons between him, or one of the D, whoever is still on the board. It also would kind of read like they view Sanderson/Drysdale pretty closely.

Again, if true. I feel like our newly-stats/analytical based strategy they've been harping on would have Rossi as the guy over Holtz. 

Edited by Thorny

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Form Wheeler's Q&A today:

Michael M.
4h ago

Who do the Sabres take at 8? Based on your prior projections
like-icon@2x.png

Scott W.
4h ago

@Michael M. Alexander Holtz or one of Sanderson/Drysdale.

Is there more context to this?  What are the prior projections that this is based upon?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Is there more context to this?  What are the prior projections that this is based upon?

It's a Q&A with Athletic readers. I took "prior projections" to mean the players he sees going earlier, which would seem to include "the big three," gone for sure, with Perfetti or Raymond going to Detroit. He said he sees scenarios where Rossi drops to 9, even though he personally loves him, has him at 3.

https://theathletic.com/2082295/2020/09/21/live-qa-scott-wheeler-answers-your-nhl-draft-questions/

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Trade, Drysdale, Rossi, Jarvis, Lundell is my order of preference for those I could see being available (though Drysdale is pretty unlikely). 

Assuming of course that Laf, Byfield, and Stutzle are gone, and likely Raymond, too. 

Not very enamoured with Perfetti, Holtz, and Sanderson. 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

I dunno. If rossi is gone, I really like Lundell. Not a flashy pick, but the more I read about him he just seems like a solid, reliable middle 6 guy. We need someone like that.

Love Rossi, he's my favorite, but seems like NJ snags him if available.

Lundell makes a ton of sense if you believe Cozens is a 2C; making for a future down the spine of Echel, Cozens, Lundell...that would be sweet.

Holtz dosn't get enough love here...Sabres could use an elite finisher on the RW, I'd be fine with him.

Let's hope Rossi drops in our lap!!!

3 minutes ago, FLSabreFan said:

Love Rossi, he's my favorite, but seems like NJ snags him if available.

Lundell makes a ton of sense if you believe Cozens is a 2C; making for a future down the spine of Echel, Cozens, Lundell...that would be sweet.

Holtz dosn't get enough love here...Sabres could use an elite finisher on the RW, I'd be fine with him.

Let's hope Rossi drops in our lap!!!

I personally question his style of play and think he lacks an ability to generate dangerous scoring chances.  Sabres already have two long term wingers who are kind of one dimensional shooters who don’t create on their own.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.