So #8

spndnchz

Copper doesn't have it to center a second line. 

A healthy Little is the only player under contract that you could call a legit 2C and he will never play again.

I think we see Chevy go hard in free agency, not counting DeMelo, and in a trade that involves one of Laine, Ehlers or KC. He knows the time is now not 4 years from now. 1RHD, re-sign DeMelo and a bonafide 2C. DeMelo re-signing doesn't cost anything that isn't already paid. UFA costs cash and with Little on LTIR and trading one of those three above, we'll have the cap room. By adding to one of those 3 and our 10th we should be able to acquire all three. Hah...it's what I'd do anyway.

Sign Pietrangelo to a 5 x 9.5m deal in free agency.

Trade Ehlers, the 10th and Copper for Barkov and add if you have to. Sign Barkov to a big money deal with the intent of moving Wheeler after the 21-22 season. Wheeler's 8.25m comes off the books when Barkov's new contract kicks in. The cap should expand that season too if the vaccine(s) work.

Barkov, Laine, Wheeler, Scheif and KC all in your top 6 is pretty not too bad.

He's not going to give you the traditional "2C" production and that's what you are referring to, but it's most especially the defensively reliable minutes at C I am after, particularly interesting from a player not dissimilar to Larsson, who has more offence than Larsson, who looked pretty good with Skinner last year. 

Just a *capable* middle-6, natural centre like Copp would do wonders for us. To have 100% more lines (LOG) that Eichel can confidently get off the ice for. To wear down other teams. To allow offensively capable players like Kahun and Johansson a chance to succeed in offensively focused roles. You are talking about a franchise who's best C acquisition in 3 years is Curtis Lazar, god love him. 

The Sabres are unlike the Jets in that we already have our "heir apparent" at 2C in Dylan Cozens. Coop (ha Freudian slip not changing it) would provide a relatively cheap stop gap, at a price probably allowing us to add a more offensively focused wing. 

He can be my 2C. 

- - - 

Also, I'm sorry and I don't mean this offensively, that's a ludicrous offer for Barkov. Unless by add, you mean Scheifele. Or maaaybe Connor gets it done but I doubt it. 

Edited by Thorny

I love Copper but I think Overhardt is walking him to free agency. I'd deal him or add him in a deal if I had to. We have Lowry and would rather see him as a 4C and Roslo/Harkins as our 3C. Roslo isn't a 2C and he isn't cracking the RW ahead of Wheeler or Laine.

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I love Copper but I think Overhardt is walking him to free agency. I'd deal him or add him in a deal if I had to. We have Lowry and would rather see him as a 4C and Roslo/Harkins as our 3C. Roslo isn't a 2C and he isn't cracking the RW ahead of Wheeler or Laine.

Low term commitment, low cost, low risk, reliable stopgap, that the Jets don't see eye to eye with term wise, you say? Well sir by gosh I do believe we have a fit! 

Edited by Thorny

Trade up from 10 to 8 to fill that Sanderson sized hole left by Byfuglien? Montour, to be your new Montrouba? Mittelstadt, former WJC all-star team fellow alumni to Laine, the potential skills of a 2C, just needing that happier environment? We have a PLETHORA of options to fit those pesky Jets needs. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Copper doesn't have it to center a second line. 

A healthy Little is the only player under contract that you could call a legit 2C and he will never play again.

I think we see Chevy go hard in free agency, not counting DeMelo, and in a trade that involves one of Laine, Ehlers or KC. He knows the time is now not 4 years from now. 1RHD, re-sign DeMelo and a bonafide 2C. DeMelo re-signing doesn't cost anything that isn't already paid. UFA costs cash and with Little on LTIR and trading one of those three above, we'll have the cap room. By adding to one of those 3 and our 10th we should be able to acquire all three. Hah...it's what I'd do anyway.

Sign Pietrangelo to a 5 x 9.5m deal in free agency.

Trade Ehlers, the 10th and Copper for Barkov and add if you have to. Sign Barkov to a big money deal with the intent of moving Wheeler after the 21-22 season. Wheeler's 8.25m comes off the books when Barkov's new contract kicks in. The cap should expand that season too if the vaccine(s) work.

Barkov, Laine, Wheeler, Scheif and KC all in your top 6 is pretty not too bad.

I’m not understanding how you think all of those players will end up on the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

And the Jets should be exceptionally thankful to get Lundell at 10. I hope they take Sanderson. 

If Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, and Raymond go top 7, and we’re sitting with a choice of Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson, Jarvis, or off board, Lundell is in the convo at that spot. And also easily my choice. 

Jarvis is listed as a C, is he supposed to play there at the NHL level, @LGR4GM? If I’m Winnipeg I’m happy with Lundell or Jarvis. 

17 hours ago, Ducky said:

I'm not sure if  you mean the Jets or the Sabres should take Sanderson but I'm taking him before Lundell. I'd be happy to take Lundell at 10 but I'd take Jarvis over him.

To clarify, I'd take Sanderson, Jarvis (2nd in scoring in WHL) and then Lundell and be happy with any one of the 3 at 10th. 

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just saying there will be a better player than Lundell available at 8th.

Jarvis has played quite a bit of wing. I would say he might be an NHL center but I think he likes being on the wing. It is hard to say because I don't have faceoff numbers and I don't know where he played every game. If not you are getting a top 6 RW who is probably closer to 5'11" than 5'10" from what I gather. 

As for Ducky, Sanderson might be there and there are a lot of scouts high on him. Jarvis was 2nd in scoring but first in his draft year. The guy who was first in the WHL is I think 2 years older. Jarvis would be a very good pick at 10 IMPO. Lundell again, I think you have to be concerned with his offensive upside but if you want a reliable 2-way center, Lundell it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jarvis has played quite a bit of wing. I would say he might be an NHL center but I think he likes being on the wing. It is hard to say because I don't have faceoff numbers and I don't know where he played every game. If not you are getting a top 6 RW who is probably closer to 5'11" than 5'10" from what I gather. 

As for Ducky, Sanderson might be there and there are a lot of scouts high on him. Jarvis was 2nd in scoring but first in his draft year. The guy who was first in the WHL is I think 2 years older. Jarvis would be a very good pick at 10 IMPO. Lundell again, I think you have to be concerned with his offensive upside but if you want a reliable 2-way center, Lundell it is. 

If we were to draft Lundell, I wouldn't be too concerned about his O scoring.

It is going to be an interesting draft, that is for sure. Lots of high end talent far into the 1st round and teams picking at 15 will still be getting a pretty good player.

Chevy has gone off the board a couple of times (Scheif and Morrissey) in the first round but who knows what any GM has up his sleeve?

Edited by Ducky

12 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Hahahahaha

The Winnipeg Jets depending on their offseason moves have better wingers than the Sabres. Connor, Ehlers, Laine, even blake wheeler. They have Kristian Vesilainen developing as well. I think to help Lundell succeed at what he does best, you need high offense wingers. The Sabres have Skinner and you could include Reinhart. That is about it. Olofsson needs Eichel to work so that's not a great fit. Also it is 2 picks later meaning other players will be gone and it makes more sense. 

However, please explain your laughing. 

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Winnipeg Jets depending on their offseason moves have better wingers than the Sabres. Connor, Ehlers, Laine, even blake wheeler. They have Kristian Vesilainen developing as well. I think to help Lundell succeed at what he does best, you need high offense wingers. The Sabres have Skinner and you could include Reinhart. That is about it. Olofsson needs Eichel to work so that's not a great fit. Also it is 2 picks later meaning other players will be gone and it makes more sense. 

However, please explain your laughing. 

Here's a snip from Hockey Writers mock draft I just found that might explain my laugh...

8. Buffalo Sabres: Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga)

Scouting Report: Anton Lundell – 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

THW Writer: Jordan Deshane

The Buffalo Sabres make a pick in Anton Lundell that may feel like a reach for some. While not having explosive offensive stats, Lundell brings the Sabres an element they desperately need. He has arguably the most complete game in this draft class and is sound defensively. He will be an assistant captain for HIFK this upcoming season, something almost unheard of for an 18-year-old. He will add solidity up the middle of the ice and bring leadership to a squad that desperately needs more leaders. Although the pain of the Ryan O’Reilly trade will hurt for some time, adding a future Selke candidate in Lundell can go a long way to erasing those memories and helping to lift the Sabres to relevance once again.Although the pain of the Ryan O’Reilly trade will hurt for some time, adding a future Selke candidate in Lundell can go a long way to erasing those memories and helping to lift the Sabres to relevance once again.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, I read that. It was one of the pieces of evidence that has me thinking Lundell might end up as a very good 3c instead of a 2c, he won't produce enough to get that 2c role. 

Still unsure about the laughing. 

Did you read the bolded part I just edited because it didn't copy the first time?

27 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But you're soooo good at that.

So you aren't going to tell me?

Also I responded to what you were implying last time and you seem to be implying something similar again. I have now tried 3 or 4 times to ask you want you are actually saying but if you don't want to say, moving on. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So you aren't going to tell me?

Also I responded to what you were implying last time and you seem to be implying something similar again. I have now tried 3 or 4 times to ask you want you are actually saying but if you don't want to say, moving on. 

That's the biggest problem.

I say the sky is royal blue.

You say...so, you're equating the sky to the new uniforms.

No, I'm saying the sky is royal blue.

But you're on the Sabres board, you must be implying it's the color of the Sabres uniform.

I said the sky is royal blue.

You say...they'd look better on Winnipeg because Laine.

43 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I'm warming up to the idea of taking Anton Lundell at #8. I know he isnt the 'sexy' pick everyone is looking for, but he just might be the one we truly need to make. Top 6 forward that has the skating, size, and defensive mindset that is lacking on this roster.

I don't think he has the skating. He doesn't have the agility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.