So #8

spndnchz

15 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Try as I might, I'm having the same problem. I suspect all of us are to one extent or another approaching this level of angst. If anyone here is totally okay with being out of the playoffs in 2021 while we develop something or another, please tell me what it is you are drinking. Maybe my single malt Scotch is not the answer for this affliction.

I'm as open to trading our first pick as anyone here is. But you don't give up a valuable pick if the return isn't high enough. That would be foolish. You are making an assumption that if you don't give up the pick the consequence is that you are automatically precluded from making the playoffs. That's a misguided assumption. You can make trades with the pick included or not included in prospective deals. There is no absolute rule on how to make a roster enhancing deal/s other than you give up assets to get back assets. The bargaining between player and draft assets is something you work out with your trade partners. 

Edited by JohnC

7 hours ago, Reino23 said:

Again, i like both players quite a bit. For me, the reason i have Lundell above Rossi was size, lack of high end speed and figuring Rossi played with Quinn, which, however, was not the case.

If speed bothers you idk how you put Lundell over Rossi. Lundell needs to work on his edges and his quickness. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm as open to trading our first pick as anyone here is. But you don't give up a valuable pick if the return isn't high enough. That would be foolish. You are making an assumption that if you don't give up the pick the consequence is that you are automatically precluded from making the playoffs. That's a misguided assumption. You can make trades with the pick included or not included in prospective deals. There is no absolute rule on how to make a roster enhancing deal/s other than you give up assets to get back assets. The bargaining between player and draft assets are something you work out with your trade partners. 

I agree 100%. My comment was more about being impatient than it was about dealing #8, or any other assets. 

This season needs to be done and gone away. Let us all hope for a brighter future.

• Like (+1) 1

You guys have me hoping Lundell really works on his skating and some of his puck handling over the break now. We get the advantage of seeing him again before the draft so if he can upgrade those things (like Draisaitl) than he could slide up my board. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You guys have me hoping Lundell really works on his skating and some of his puck handling over the break now. We get the advantage of seeing him again before the draft so if he can upgrade those things (like Draisaitl) than he could slide up my board. 

Agreed.  I really like Lundell as a safe NHLer, with maybe more upside than it would seem at first glance.  If he can get his skating straightened out he could show a lot more impressively.  It’s one area that a lot of players make quite a bit of improvement on, so I’m hopeful.  He could be a real workhorse type guy.  2C who takes on hard defensive tasks, still able to produce 50+ points, and plays in any situation.

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

Agreed.  I really like Lundell as a safe NHLer, with maybe more upside than it would seem at first glance.  If he can get his skating straightened out he could show a lot more impressively.  It’s one area that a lot of players make quite a bit of improvement on, so I’m hopeful.  He could be a real workhorse type guy.  2C who takes on hard defensive tasks, still able to produce 50+ points, and plays in any situation.

He does remind me of ROR. 

I want to add if Lundell shows more upside than he could be an 8th overall guy. I just worry that upside isn't there and we get a 40pt 3rd line center. 

Edited by LGR4GM

32 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The Sabres should have a better choice than Lundell at 8.

I agree. I think there are several players with more to offer at 8 and that really depends on the draft as well. Someone could go crazy. 

We could very easily see:

1. Lafrienere
  2. Byfield
  3. Stutzle
  4. Perfetti
  5. Raymond
  6. Drysdale Sanderson
  7. Sanderson Drysdale
  8. ???? 
Edited by LGR4GM
the strike makes more sense for each team

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Rossi may slide because of size, we have seen that in the last few drafts with specific examples. 

I know there’s a school of thought out there that questions whether Rossi has any room for growth in his game and that if he’s maxed out his size/speed whether his game translates against men.

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know there’s a school of thought out there that questions whether Rossi has any room for growth in his game and that if he’s maxed out his size/speed whether his game translates against men.

Usually what you hear from scouts when talking about smaller players. It's how you end up with Tage in a trade because he has more physical ability due to his size. Rossi will have a limit that a bigger player won't. That said, I find that the shorter guys have dealt with that adversity so long they tend to be little balls of hate. 

• Like (+1) 2

Travis Konecny in 2015

Alex Debrincat in 2016

Kailer Yamamoto in 2017

2018 I don't know of a smaller guy who slid right now but there's probably someone

Cole Caufield in 2019

All these guys should have probably been drafted sooner. Now 3 of them are shorter than Rossi but once you get below 5'11" you really start to hear about "size" and for some guys it is anything below 6'.  Rossi has the very real potential to slide however I could see Ottawa taking him with 1 of their top 5 picks. 

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Travis Konecny in 2015

Alex Debrincat in 2016

Kailer Yamamoto in 2017

2018 I don't know of a smaller guy who slid right now but there's probably someone

Cole Caufield in 2019

All these guys should have probably been drafted sooner. Now 3 of them are shorter than Rossi but once you get below 5'11" you really start to hear about "size" and for some guys it is anything below 6'.  Rossi has the very real potential to slide however I could see Ottawa taking him with 1 of their top 5 picks. 

Yes.  Over the last 5ish years its actually become fairly predictable that certain guys will fall in the draft, but then succeed.  It’s gotten kind of silly really.

Average NHL forward is only about 6’ 1/2”.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ducky said:

The Sabres should have a better choice than Lundell at 8.

And the Jets should be exceptionally thankful to get Lundell at 10. I hope they take Sanderson. 

If Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, and Raymond go top 7, and we’re sitting with a choice of Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson, Jarvis, or off board, Lundell is in the convo at that spot. And also easily my choice. 

Jarvis is listed as a C, is he supposed to play there at the NHL level, @LGR4GM? If I’m Winnipeg I’m happy with Lundell or Jarvis. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Having some guys play prior to the draft will be fascinating to see how that affects their draft status.  Guys like Perfetti and Rossi may fall to the "out of site, out of mind" phenomenon and fall down teams boards. Especially if Lundell, Raymond, Amirov and Holtz impress. 

I guess I could add Askarov in that category.

the more I read and watch im really leaning towards adding a sniper like Holtz. You can never have enough goal scorers. I've read people thinking his shot is as good as Cole Caulfields from a standing position but he has a much better shot off the rush.

54 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Having some guys play prior to the draft will be fascinating to see how that affects their draft status.  Guys like Perfetti and Rossi may fall to the "out of site, out of mind" phenomenon and fall down teams boards. Especially if Lundell, Raymond, Amirov and Holtz impress. 

I guess I could add Askarov in that category.

the more I read and watch im really leaning towards adding a sniper like Holtz. You can never have enough goal scorers. I've read people thinking his shot is as good as Cole Caulfields from a standing position but he has a much better shot off the rush.

A couple problems that I have with Holtz are (1) he doesn’t really create high danger scoring chances.  He finds open areas to receive a set up pass in and he has a great shot so he can beat goalies from these area, but he needs someone to create chances for him. I don’t think he’ll be a “line driver” in the NHL.  (2) Not that you can have too many goal scorers, but Buffalo has Olofsson and Skinner already as wingers who can score, but can rarely create a scoring chance on their own.  I think what the team desperately needs is a couple more players who can carry the puck, create a high danger chance, and create chaos for the defense.  I think Eichel is literally the only guy who can do that right now.  That’s what I would be looking for near the top of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

And the Jets should be exceptionally thankful to get Lundell at 10. I hope they take Sanderson. 

If Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, and Raymond go top 7, and we’re sitting with a choice of Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson, Jarvis, or off board, Lundell is in the convo at that spot. And also easily my choice. 

Jarvis is listed as a C, is he supposed to play there at the NHL level, @LGR4GM? If I’m Winnipeg I’m happy with Lundell or Jarvis. 

I'm not sure if  you mean the Jets or the Sabres should take Sanderson but I'm taking him before Lundell. I'd be happy to take Lundell at 10 but I'd take Jarvis over him.

To clarify, I'd take Sanderson, Jarvis (2nd in scoring in WHL) and then Lundell and be happy with any one of the 3 at 10th. 

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just saying there will be a better player than Lundell available at 8th.

13 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'm not sure if  you mean the Jets or the Sabres should take Sanderson but I'm taking him before Lundell. I'd be happy to take Lundell at 10 but I'd take Jarvis over him.

To clarify, I'd take Sanderson, Jarvis (2nd in scoring in WHL) and then Lundell and be happy with any one of the 3 at 10th. 

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just saying there will be a better player than Lundell available at 8th.

Wasn’t being snarky either. Well, I kinda was about Sanderson. I hope the Jets take him. I’m pretty sure they haven’t drafted a top 6 C since Scheifele.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.