So #8

spndnchz

Just now, Curt said:

The fact that you just listed Risto here but not Dahlin is a travesty of unimaginable proportions.  Ban worthy, I would say.

Deliberate choice.

I think the world of Rasmus Dahlin and obviously consider him a core piece. But I have no interest in a plan that involves waiting for this team to come together in Rasmus’ prime five years from now.

We have an elite NHL player now. Take advantage. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, let's find some 23 or 24 year olds to play with him. 

We can't keep doing this, finding guys exactly Jack's age. Monahan is still young and will be good while his contract runs, and then Cozens or our 8 this year can step in 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We can't keep doing this, finding guys exactly Jack's age. Monahan is still young and will be good while his contract runs, and then Cozens or our 8 this year can step in 

Our 8th this year can't step in because he was traded in this scenario. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

It's still not a reason to avoid Monahan

I am not saying avoid him, just proceed with caution. 

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Strange to see Liger on that side of a Monahan discussion.

Opinions of players should change with the times. 

It is not about just getting a player like Monahan.  It is about an all in plan to upgrade around the big acquisition.  This is where Murray failed with ROR.  He didn’t properly bring in the other pieces to give the team enough quality depth to compete.

someone like Monahan or Cirelli would be great starts but the goaltending needs to be addressed, they need to actually have a plan to build the d corps in a way that makes sense with Krueger’s system and bring in more depth up front.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It is a pipe dream for anyone thinking the Sabres can get a center such as Monahan or Cirelli for #8 straight up.  There will be a significant add on the part of the Sabres.

Oh, I’m not so sure about that.  Not sure about Calgary, but for Tampa they desperately need the cap space, so if they decide that they need to trade away this good young player to get that cap space, they aren’t going to be wanting to take on much (any?) salary in the deal.  They really really need the cap space.

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

Oh, I’m not so sure about that.  Not sure about Calgary, but for Tampa they desperately need the cap space, so if they decide that they need to trade away this good young player to get that cap space, they aren’t going to be wanting to take on much (any?) salary in the deal.  They really really need the cap space.

Doesn't mean they can't take on a highly rated prospect(not Mitts or Tage, or any other mediocrity that Sabres fans want to get rid of), or multiple draft picks in return.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Lundell to me is the classic "Jason Botterill" pick: low ceiling but high floor.  If we don't have a 2C by the draft and if he is the top C at #8, I want the pick traded for a real 2C who has a few years of team control.

Unfortunately, the screw-ups of Murray with the defence and goaltending and Botterill with the forwards and goaltending have made me impatient.

Try as I might, I'm having the same problem. I suspect all of us are to one extent or another approaching this level of angst. If anyone here is totally okay with being out of the playoffs in 2021 while we develop something or another, please tell me what it is you are drinking. Maybe my single malt Scotch is not the answer for this affliction.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s actually closer to 80 per cent.

And the more important part is that pick 8 is pretty much a guaranteed opportunity to take a core player, and that’s why proper evaluation is so important.

Your scouts have to identify it’s Kopitar not Setoguchi, Couture not Hamill, Ellis not Glennie, Trouba not Pouliot, and Sergachev not Nylander.

The problem is, as much as we want analytics to make it so, separating Trouba from Pouliot is not a science, and no team can do it consistently over the long haul.  Expecting this team, this draft, with the upheaval this scouting department has had, to pick the Trouba this year is, well, optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Some NHL C’s around his size are JP Pageau, Brayden Point, Vincent Trochek, Max Domi, Noel Accairi, Blake Lizotte, Alex Kerfoot, Jack Hughes, Tyler Johnson.  I’m sure I missed a couple.  Even going back to the last good Sabres team, they were led by two C’s about Rossi’s size Briere and Drury.  Not all those guys have elite top speed.  Same for the wingers that size really.

How many C’s dominate their junior league in their draft year, but then fail because of their height?  That’s the real question.

Rossi is short, but not weak.  He is thick, very strongly built, like a Drury, not a Briere.

His skating is very very good, it’s a strength of his game.  His acceleration, short area quickness, agility, and strength on his skates are great.  I would say those are all more important than top speed.  Even so, Rossi’s top speed is still probably above NHL average.

Top skating speed is one of the more overrated aspects of skating.  Players do a lot more starting, stopping, changing direction, turning, cutting than blowing halfway across the rink in a straight line, at full speed.

Regarding Jack Quinn, you may be aware, but they actually did not play together at ES, and Rossi put up elite #’s at ES.

I just think that when you look at all the factors, height is the only real deficit.  I believe that his great skating combined with the fact that he is actually very strong for his height are going to allow all his other talents to play through, despite his height.

And I’m actually going to ask the same question that I did in my last post:  What do you think Lundell is better at than Rossi?

I did not know that, i assumed they played together a fair share. Thanks for that info.

As for Lundell vs. Rossi. I think Lundell is one of, if not the smartest player in this draft. His international hockey resume is as good as it gets, and that's in tournaments against the best kids of that age group in the world. I think Lundell has a peak potential of a Patrice Bergeron. I like his shot, i like his defensive game, i think he's the total package and i think he's a very safe pick. He's a very mature player, dominates the middle of the ice, and has good pace that allows him to generate pressure on the forecheck. He's smart, big and knows how to play a sound defensive game, with a promising developing cannon of a shot. Also could project to be a net front presence on the PP bc of his size, strength and hand-eye coordination.

1 hour ago, Reino23 said:

I did not know that, i assumed they played together a fair share. Thanks for that info.

As for Lundell vs. Rossi. I think Lundell is one of, if not the smartest player in this draft. His international hockey resume is as good as it gets, and that's in tournaments against the best kids of that age group in the world. I think Lundell has a peak potential of a Patrice Bergeron. I like his shot, i like his defensive game, i think he's the total package and i think he's a very safe pick. He's a very mature player, dominates the middle of the ice, and has good pace that allows him to generate pressure on the forecheck. He's smart, big and knows how to play a sound defensive game, with a promising developing cannon of a shot. Also could project to be a net front presence on the PP bc of his size, strength and hand-eye coordination.

Im still not sure what you think Lundell is better at than Rossi.  I agree with pretty much everything you say about him, but I think that a lot of the things you mention as strengths for Lundell, Rossi is just as good, and in some cases much better at, which I bolded above.  It’s almost all the things written.

I like Lundell, as a option in the top 10 even, I just think Rossi surpasses him in some important areas.  I’m just curious how you compare the two and have Lundell come out on top.

Admittedly, it can be had to compare such different leagues, so it’s a little tricky.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Im still not sure what you think Lundell is better at than Rossi.  I agree with pretty much everything you say about him, but I think that a lot of the things you mention as strengths for Lundell, Rossi is just as good, and in some cases much better at, which I bolded above.  It’s almost all the things written.

I like Lundell, as a option in the top 10 even, I just think Rossi surpasses him in some important areas.  I’m just curious how you compare the two and have Lundell come out on top.

Admittedly, it can be had to compare such different leagues, so it’s a little tricky.

Again, i like both players quite a bit. For me, the reason i have Lundell above Rossi was size, lack of high end speed and figuring Rossi played with Quinn, which, however, was not the case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.