So #8

spndnchz

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pronman has his mock out, based on what he's hearing around the league:

8. Buffalo Sabres: Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa-OHL

Buffalo’s been a tough team to project because of recent management and scouting changes. There’s a lot of rumors but that group has a lot of new faces so I think they are still trying to figure out what direction they are going in. A lot of people I’ve talked to have mentioned Rossi or the two Swedes as the likely choices.

No.  How does that help the team while Eichel actually is here?  The Sabres are wasting his time here. 

No.

No more prospects.  Give me players who can help Jack and Dahlin shine.  Give me a 2C and a goalie for whatever it is that the Sabres have.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.  How does that help the team while Eichel actually is here?  The Sabres are wasting his time here. 

No.

No more prospects.  Give me players who can help Jack and Dahlin shine.  Give me a 2C and a goalie for whatever it is that the Sabres have.

Whaaaaatt?  Rossi is one of the most NHL ready guys in the draft, I think.  He could possibly be in the NHL next season, and if not I think 2021-22 is a certainty.

So what difference does the strength of the draft make if every prospect is an unacceptable waste of time?

Edited by Curt

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.

We're much more likely to trade Mittelstatd and keep this pick. That gives you the player you want now, the draft guys keep the cupboard stocked, and the new regime gets their guy 

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Whaaaaatt?  Rossi is one of the most NHL ready guys in the draft, I think.  He could possibly be in the NHL next season, and if not I think 2021-22 is a certainty.

So what difference does the strength of the draft make if every prospect is an unacceptable waste of time?

I am sick of waiting.  Give me a player now.  And if I'm sick of waiting, just think of Eichel in three years when Rossi is ready to play, maybe,.

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We're much more likely to trade Mittelstatd and keep this pick. That gives you the player you want now, the draft guys keep the cupboard stocked, and the new regime gets their guy 

If some team is willing to take Sir Can't Pullup on, fine by me.

Just now, Eleven said:

I am sick of waiting.  Give me a player now.  And if I'm sick of waiting, just think of Eichel in three years when Rossi is ready to play, maybe,.

If some team is willing to take Sir Can't Pullup on, fine by me.

Rossi is probably ready now. 

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

I'd agree, could be 2021 but no later. He's really good. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I love you, my man, but come on.  The historical list of eighth-overall picks who are "ready now" is pretty short, no?  And even THAT assumes that Rossi is the pick.

Edited by Eleven

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is the worst draft since 2012 or even earlier.  TRADE IT.  Sorry, Liger.  I see no value this year.

... this draft is 100% not 2012. I mean it's just not and you gotta wait until picks 1-7 happen b4 you can trade 8 unless Cirelli is in the mix. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I love you, my man, but come on.  The historical list of eighth-overall picks who are "ready now" is pretty short, no?  And even THAT assumes that Rossi is the pick.

This draft is odd. Rossi is old for the draft. He's also physically doing pretty good. Most guys aren't ready for physical reasons. Yes it is likely he'll go back to juniors. 

Yes that assumes he's the pick. 

Haha I've realized I've said he's ready and probably isn't all at once. Lol,  let me summarize.

Rossi is old for his draft which isn't unusual but it means he's physically and mentally furher along than a younger player. Rossi excelled in the league and he's very well built. I think there's an outside chance with him probably getting ohl time in October and November that he could be nhl ready because his skill and body can handle nhl minutes. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This draft is odd. Rossi is old for the draft. He's also physically doing pretty good. Most guys aren't ready for physical reasons. Yes it is likely he'll go back to juniors. 

Yes that assumes he's the pick. 

I'm sorry, I just don't need to see another wonder prospect.  The Sabres are wasting Jack's time.

Just now, Eleven said:

I'm sorry, I just don't need to see another wonder prospect.  The Sabres are wasting Jack's time.

Yea, that's why they needed to use multiple firsts in 2015 and hit on a 2nd round pick or 2. You'd have 4 more nhl players Jack's age or younger. Instead we drafted like trash and traded picks away. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, that's why they needed to use multiple firsts in 2015 and hit on a 2nd round pick or 2. You'd have 4 more nhl players Jack's age or younger. Instead we drafted like trash and traded picks away. 

The Sabres didn't have Jack or Rasmus Darlin when those trades happened.

They are wasting Jack's time here.

He will either demand a trade or just leave when his time is up.  He wants, and deserves, a shot at the Cup.  And it won't be long before Dahlin feels the same way.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The Sabres didn't have Jack or Rasmus Darlin when those trades happened.

They are wasting Jack's time here.

He will either demand a trade or just leave when his time is up.  He wants, and deserves, a shot at the Cup.  And it won't be long before Dahlin feels the same way.

Jack was on the team. Not sure what the rest of this is. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I have seen this name pop up a few times.

He is their captain and a perfect complement to their 1C, and he has three years left on a team friendly contract. They have no one like him in their system.

Bo Horvat is one of the least-likely players to be traded in the NHL.

This wouldn't be a talking point if Buffalo as we've seen in the past.

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Haha I've realized I've said he's ready and probably isn't all at once. Lol,  let me summarize.

Rossi is old for his draft which isn't unusual but it means he's physically and mentally furher along than a younger player. Rossi excelled in the league and he's very well built. I think there's an outside chance with him probably getting ohl time in October and November that he could be nhl ready because his skill and body can handle nhl minutes. 

I saw a mock draft of Craig Button on YouTube saying he thinks we'll get Perfetti. Says that Ottawa will take Stutzle and Rossi.

What's your take on Perfetti being ready to play? ( I know...it's Button, but).

4 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I saw a mock draft of Craig Button on YouTube saying he thinks we'll get Perfetti. Says that Ottawa will take Stutzle and Rossi.

What's your take on Perfetti being ready to play? ( I know...it's Button, but).

He's going to Detroit impo.

He's not NHL ready. He needs another year of juniors to fill out and hopefully add some quickness. 

I think Rossi's attacking style will translate earlier than Perfetti. That's not a knock on Perfetti, he's good. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's going to Detroit impo.

He's not NHL ready. He needs another year of juniors to fill out and hopefully add some quickness. 

I think Rossi's attacking style will translate earlier than Perfetti. That's not a knock on Perfetti, he's good. 

Which, if any, mocks do you prefer for credibility?

I've seen 2 saying Perfetti, 1-Rossi, 1- Holtz.

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

We're much more likely to trade Mittelstatd and keep this pick. 

For what, a bag of pucks? We're not getting anything of value back for him at this point. 

I have no idea what we will do but there is likely no immediate fix to anything. #8 should be a good prospect. Personally I hope Sanderson falls to #8 because, although one can argue we do not need another D man, I think he is one of the best prospects in this draft and with Dahlin, Jokiharju and Sanderson we would have a very young D core which will be the envy of the league and the strength of the team in a few years. Also allows us to finally do the Risto trade and/or Montour and possibly get a quality 2C in return. 

Fixing this team instantly will take some FA signings and some very creative moves and I doubt very much the organization spends the money or that Adams has the GM expertise to instantly pull off anything major. I expect a simple pick straight off the league rankings board. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

8 hours ago, NAF said:

NY winning the lotto seems undeserved. They get Kakko, Panarin, and now Lafreniere? And will continue to attract big name free agents because of location and market size? And have only been bad for 2-3 years?

Teams and their fanbases that have "taken their lumps," (Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc) should have a better chance at first overall. Maybe the NHL could implement a rule where a team's lottery odds improve with each year they stay in the bottom 10 teams.

Everything was difficult, different and complicated this year, but once they decided on these plans to have the 24 teams with 7 not participating, the 7 should’ve been the only teams in the lottery.  The league would’ve really had egg all over their faces if Pittsburgh or Edmonton had won the lottery.  Even for it to be as it was, with all the play-in teams, it should’ve been weighted for the lower seeds, not giving them all an equal chance.

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Seriously, Rossi seems pretty ready.  That’s true whether he ends up going 3rd, 5th, 8th or 10th.  I think Lafrenière and Rossi are the two most NHL ready guys.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd agree, could be 2021 but no later. He's really good. 

If you could get a genuine second line talent who is in his mid-twenties with that pick you got to deal it. The future is now. The audience is suffocating and becoming moribund. It desperately needs oxygen right away. Another year out of the playoffs and we are going to have a Jack problem. And I wouldn't blame him. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you could get a genuine second line talent who is in his mid-twenties with that pick you got to deal it. The future is now. The audience is suffocating and becoming moribund. It desperately needs oxygen right away. Another year out of the playoffs and we are going to have a Jack problem. And I wouldn't blame him. 

So you would trade #8 overall for a 24-27 year old, 50-55 point RW under contract for 2-3 more seasons, then UFA, at $5-6M?

Its just hypothetical, although I know I was rather specific.

Edited by Curt

1 minute ago, Curt said:

So you would trade #8 overall for a 24-27 year old, 50-55 point winger under contract for 2-3 more seasons, then UFA, at $5-6M?

Its just hypothetical, although I know I was rather specific.

Yes. If I can get that winger who will be a component in building a genuine second line I would do so. Not only do you reconstruct the second line with that addition but you push down players to play on an upgraded third line. One of the major deficiencies on this team is a lack of secondary scoring to balance out the first line. 

I have always been a person who valued high draft picks to build a franchise in all the major sports. However, because of the recent history of systemic failure this franchise needs an immediate jolt to alter this negative dynamic. Also, the exasperated and fading fanbase deserve it now, not later. And make no mistake about it the Jack exasperation meter is real. The get me out of here declaration is a looming threat. And I don't blame him! If this new regime doesn't have a sense of urgency after all that has gone on before their installation then they are out of touch before they even started. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.