So #8

spndnchz

10 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Discuss 

Depends on who drops. 

I would take Drysdale, Lafrienere, Byfield, Stutzle off the board and then... no idea. The next 3 picks before Buffalo could be anyone of a handful of names. Note I am listing options not players I personally want

Marco Rossi

Cole Perfetti (I am almost convinced he is going to Detroit)

Seth Jarvis

Jake Sanderson 

Alex Hotlz

Lucas Raymond

Anton Lundell (what is the least exciting pick I can think of...)

Jack Quinn

Yaroslov Askarov

and maybe Connor Zary

-If We Keep it-

1) Rossi is the gem. He's the best-case that's also realistic.

2) Raymond, Lundell are my next two, feeling safe Lundell will be there at 8. If both are, I still don't have a final answer; some days its Lundell, some days its Raymond.

3) Sanderson, surprisingly, is an honorable mention for me if we suddenly find ourselves with multiple centers with any kind of term. 

4) If we somehow go into the draft with multiple forward adds (multiple centers), and a quality plan on defense upgrades, I'd entertain Askarov, but this team would have to be playoff-caliber without using 8.

-If We Don't Keep It-

1,2,3...76) You're looking for a real 2C. Think Cirelli, Horvat, possibly Monahan. Obviously also available for a 1C package if they live (Barkov).

77) Moving it for a winger/defenseman would depend heavily on who and contract details. I haven't thought at all on this, so I have no examples. Suffice to say, this path is unlikely. (Same for goaltender, but even less of a chance)

Edited by Gabrielor

Why are the draft lottery threads locked?

No matter.  I typed this up before it was announced and I'm gonna post it anyway.

Want: Minnestoga.  They need a bump because they never have offense ever and they deserve a bounce back from The Paul Fenton Disaster.  Also, a good friend of mine is a fan, they have a good non-obnoxious fanbase, and it's nice to see them do well.  They're also in the West.

Meh: Nashville, Winnipeg, Edmonton.  It's nice to see Nashville do well.  I don't care about Winnipeg.  Edmonton has this ridiculous draft lottery history, so it'd be real funny to see it again, but it's possibly a waste too, but Edmonton suddenly becomes a target for interesting trades.

Do not want: Toronto, Pittsburgh.  ***** 'em.  Generally don't want Florida either because division.

Will get: New York.  The Patrick Ewing Conspiracy.  Tin foil hat says that NHL wants the most valuable franchise and biggest media market to get the #1 overall.  Toronto won't get it because Canadian dollars might as well be pesos to Bettman, and NYR is worth $1B more than the next eligible American team (PIT).  With the TV contract on the line, this is a no brainer must win for Bettman.  Plus, the hilarity of just the appearance of NHL rigging the draft lottery this year to give #1 to the Rangers is probably worth it.

*****in' called it.  *****'s rigged to maximize paper NBA style.

• Like (+1) 1

NY winning the lotto seems undeserved. They get Kakko, Panarin, and now Lafreniere? And will continue to attract big name free agents because of location and market size? And have only been bad for 2-3 years?

Teams and their fanbases that have "taken their lumps," (Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc) should have a better chance at first overall. Maybe the NHL could implement a rule where a team's lottery odds improve with each year they stay in the bottom 10 teams.

32 minutes ago, NAF said:

Maybe the NHL could implement a rule where a team's lottery odds improve with each year they stay in the bottom 10 teams.

On the surface I see where you are coming from. When I have been bored I'd thought of a formula or 2 of how I think it would be fair...."lottery weighted based on record from last season and 1/2 weighting the previous season, with a slight bump in odds for every year in a row a team misses the playoffs...etc"   

But, 90% of the problem would just be fixed by getting rid of the lottery totally.  If you want to do SOMETHING to penalize teams for tanking...hit them in the pocketbook. The team that finishes last and gets the first overall pick gets a little less revenue sharing..something like that.

Just give the worst team in the league the first pick.  Things aren't like they were in the past....where a team could get Jagr and Lemiuex together for years and years and years and surround them with pretty good players all the time...the salary cap takes care of part of that now.

Edited by mjd1001

2 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

-If We Keep it-

1) Rossi is the gem. He's the best-case that's also realistic.

2) Raymond, Lundell are my next two, feeling safe Lundell will be there at 8. If both are, I still don't have a final answer; some days its Lundell, some days its Raymond.

3) Sanderson, surprisingly, is an honorable mention for me if we suddenly find ourselves with multiple centers with any kind of term. 

4) If we somehow go into the draft with multiple forward adds (multiple centers), and a quality plan on defense upgrades, I'd entertain Askarov, but this team would have to be playoff-caliber without using 8.

-If We Don't Keep It-

1,2,3...76) You're looking for a real 2C. Think Cirelli, Horvat, possibly Monahan. Obviously also available for a 1C package if they live (Barkov).

77) Moving it for a winger/defenseman would depend heavily on who and contract details. I haven't thought at all on this, so I have no examples. Suffice to say, this path is unlikely. (Same for goaltender, but even less of a chance)

I have seen this name pop up a few times.

He is their captain and a perfect complement to their 1C, and he has three years left on a team friendly contract. They have no one like him in their system.

Bo Horvat is one of the least-likely players to be traded in the NHL.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have seen this name pop up a few times.

He is their captain and a perfect complement to their 1C, and he has three years left on a team friendly contract. They have no one like him in their system.

Bo Horvat is one of the least-likely players to be traded in the NHL.

100% agreed. In fact, I made that exact point in other threads.

He’s still a solid example when you’re making a point though.

Just now, nfreeman said:

Barkov seems untouchable similar to Horvat, no?

He should be. Given the uncertainty in Florida, couldn’t say for absolutely certainty, though.

Might depend on his contract demands. He’s two years away from UFA and his no-trade kicks in this NHL summer (whenever that starts)

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is the worst draft since 2012 or even earlier.  TRADE IT.  Sorry, Liger.  I see no value this year.

I’m all for trading it too, if it brings in a 2C.

But Im not sure where you get this from. There will be several good players at 8.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

I’m all for trading it to, if it brings in a 2C.

But Im not sure where you get this from. There will be several good players at 8.

Look at the CSS for 2020.  It's not great.  It some team wants the Sabres' 8 with some sweetener for a 2C, let's have it.

Pronman has his mock out, based on what he's hearing around the league:

8. Buffalo Sabres: Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa-OHL

Buffalo’s been a tough team to project because of recent management and scouting changes. There’s a lot of rumors but that group has a lot of new faces so I think they are still trying to figure out what direction they are going in. A lot of people I’ve talked to have mentioned Rossi or the two Swedes as the likely choices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.