Hockey hot takes

drnkirishone

Ties should come back, as the shootout is an abomination.  

Also...If you’re going to award OT loser points, then regulation wins need to be worth 3.   Which, I get it negates the artificially inflated point totals of the bottom of the league that the loser point is meant to create so as to sell relevance far later in the season for terrible teams if at all possible.  It also exposes how dumb the loser point truly is, if you think about it.  

I will die on this hill. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Also...If you’re going to award OT loser points, then regulation wins need to be worth 3.   Which, I get it negates the artificially inflated point totals of the bottom of the league that the loser point is meant to create so as to sell relevance far later in the season for terrible teams if at all possible.  It also exposes how dumb the loser point truly is, if you think about it.  

I will die on this hill. 

But not alone. I'm with you brother and have your 6 covered. The score should not determine how many points a game is worth. If they don't want ties, then play HOCKEY (not end of practice skills games) until someone wins.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I will die on this hill. 

Give me the EPL and evey other pro football league I know ... 3 for regulation win and 1 point for a regulation draw.  That's it.

1. The Sabres should change their goal horn.

2. The goal horn should sound a second later than it does now...

3. ... because (HOT TAKE) the fact it sounds too close to the goal being scored is a deterrent to scoring. It explains everything. If you knew if you did something you would instantaneously be blasted by a loud, painful sound, would it affect your ability to do that something?

(This is based on my theory, as yet untested, that the goal horn in Buffalo comes sooner than in other arenas.)

Also dougallenmeddlingjaymoran.

Edited by PASabreFan

- Dahlin is not going to be a HoF, a Norris Trophy winner, or even a perennial all-star in his career.  I know he is young, but I just don't see it.

- The hiring of Adams is going to leave the Sabres as the laughing stock of the league.

- Another bottom ten finish and Eichel will tap out.

- Oloffson will top Skinner's goal total in a big way, making the 9 mil contract look even worse.

- Borgen will surprise on the blueline.

- If they go with Ullmark and Hutton again, goaltending will be the #1 reason why the team is on the outside looking in.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

3. ... because (HOT TAKE) the fact it sounds too close to the goal being scored is a deterrent to scoring. It explains everything. If you knew if you did something you would instantaneously be blasted by a loud, painful sound, would it affect your ability to do that something?

(This is based on my theory, as yet untested, that the goal horn in Buffalo comes sooner than in other arenas.)

I agree on the speed of the horn.

11 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

But not alone. I'm with you brother and have your 6 covered. The score should not determine how many points a game is worth. If they don't want ties, then play HOCKEY (not end of practice skills games) until someone wins.

Same here. Ties were fine.

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

- Dahlin is not going to be a HoF, a Norris Trophy winner, or even a perennial all-star in his career.  I know he is young, but I just don't see it.

- The hiring of Adams is going to leave the Sabres as the laughing stock of the league.

- Oloffson will top Skinner's goal total in a big way, making the 9 mil contract look even worse.

- If they go with Ullmark and Hutton again, goaltending will be the #1 reason why the team is on the outside looking in.

Agreed on the goaltending.

Adams does have supporters around the league, but not as many as Botterill and Murray.  Maybe that is a good thing.  But for now, yeah, people are licking their chops at a potential ROR-type return for Jack and Rasmus.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

? What are we all doing here then??

I tend to bounce between optimism and pessimism with this team, but what you're describing is the franchise-folding timeline.

Edited by Gabrielor

21 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

? What are we all doing here then??

I tend to bounce between optimism and pessimism with this team, but what you're describing is the franchise-folding timeline.

Unless something drastic happens this off-season, we may all be calling for the team to fold.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Thorny and Liger’s heads are going to explode....steer clear of the blast radius.  I feel the same way as you as of right now, but let’s hope we are terribly wrong with our hot take.

I also agree with your other hot takes.  A decade of losing will have this impact on you.

In light of some mini-doubt on Dahlin's future greatness, consider where he ended up and how that clearly will impact his development. Now imagine him starting out on Tampa or another top-flight organ-eye-zation.

Thus, Hot Take: The final eight teams in the playoffs vie for the top pick in a weighted lottery.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I agree on the speed of the horn.

I thought maybe I was totally full of it, but I watched some Sidney goals in Pittsburgh. Their very cool horn definitely goes off later than in Buffalo. Maybe two seconds after the goal? Goal, crowd reaction, horn. Meanwhile our horn guy is trying to show off his reflexes. And so several times a year we have the horn blasting and lights flashing after a non-goal.

If I had to guess, the quickness of the horn goes back to the beginning, 1987. The team was down, the Aud was a morgue and the powers that be wanted something to cover up the lack of cheering. "The instant we score, hit that button!"

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, freester said:

Simple and obvious despite some clueless posters.  

Rasmus Dahlin is nominated for the Norris trophy. 

Not yet.  This year: John Carlson, Roman Josi, and Victor Hedman.  I think he can get into this group within a couple of seasons.

15 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I will die on this hill. 

It's over! @Sabel79 has the high ground.

It's a good hill.

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I thought maybe I was totally full of it, but I watched some Sidney goals in Pittsburgh. Their very cool horn definitely goes off later than in Buffalo. Maybe two seconds after the goal? Goal, crowd reaction, horn. Meanwhile our horn guy is trying to show off his reflexes. And so several times a year we have the horn blasting and lights flashing after a non-goal.W

The horn should wait until the players huddle up or even begin to skate back toward the bench for their celebratory skate-by. That way you've got time for the officials to wave off the goal or for any disputes to take place before you start blasting everyone's ears/eyes with the production.

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Appreciate the insight on the timing of the horn.  Never thought this was an issue but makes sense. 

What are you suggesting as the replacement horn? And is the recommendation because it’s a new administration and clean slate? 

I would get rid of that song (clear my throat) and employ a rotation of songs based on the goal scorer, not one for the team.  

Edited by Broken Ankles

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.