Draft Lottery Part 2, #1 Overall Pick: August 10th, 6pm EDT: NYR Win It

WildCard

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What could be going on?

For some reason there hasn't been any sports on the TV that should give you even more free time to know this!

Yeah - the pandemic simplified (my) life in some ways, complicated it unimaginably in others.

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What could be going on?

For some reason there hasn't been any sports on the TV that should give you even more free time to know this!

Yeah - the pandemic simplified (my) life in some ways, complicated it unimaginably in others.

Additionally, when sports stopped, I mostly just stopped paying attention to them.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

2020 keeps getting worse... Aug 10 is my BD couldn't the NHL have picked another day...

Dude, your birthday is National Lazy Day. If that's not even more of an excuse to have a cool birthday, I don't know what is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm fine with Nashville, they haven't gotten it recently. 

Yeah Nashville works for me too. Even though I'm still disgusted any of these teams at all have a shot at #1OA.

At this point for me its about making the best out of a less than ideal situation. Whatever team gets 1OA, I don't want them to be from our Conference

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pittsburgh, Florida, Toronto, NYR, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Edmonton, or Nashville.

I'm good with Minnesota winning. That's about it 

I’m fine with Minn, Winn or Nash. 

But we all know it’s rigged, so that’s not how it’s going down. 

Absolutely don't want Pittsburgh, the Loafs, nor the Rags to get it.

Would like it to end up in Florida or Arizona and ok w/ Nashville.

Really don't have an opinion on Minny getting it.  The Jets will be a story either way.  Either they win twice in 1 year or they got shafted by the timing 9f the 1st one.

• Like (+1) 1

Happy birthday @North Buffalo!

There is a 50% chance that one of Pitt, Rangers, Toronto or Edmonton wins it and causes multiple heads to explode.

Here's a hot take:  I'm hoping for the Rangers.  I'd like as many stars as possible in the Eastern Conference, and it's good for the NHL when the Rangers are good.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Happy birthday @North Buffalo!

There is a 50% chance that one of Pitt, Rangers, Toronto or Edmonton wins it and causes multiple heads to explode.

Here's a hot take:  I'm hoping for the Rangers.  I'd like as many stars as possible in the Eastern Conference, and it's good for the NHL when the Rangers are good.

I don't understand why people wouldn't mind Eastern Conference teams to win this. Florida, NYR...this is our division and our conference, it only makes our life that much more difficult to ever win. 

Depends on your goals.

If you want to max number of Cups, then you want the greatest probability of getting to the SC Finals through the easiest competition, which means having worse players in your conference.

If you want max pure sportsmanship, then you want to strive to win against the best competition possible playing their best, which means having better players in your conference.

But pure sportsmanship on ice is necessarily modified by player-personnel elements of the game, that are definitely and necessarily still part of the game: injuries, salary caps, trades, coaching effectiveness, drafts, free agency, callups, holdouts, etc.  Practical sportsmanship in modern pro sports now encompasses these elements as part of the competition.

There's no moral judgement attached to any of this.  Fans can fan how they want to fan.

I personally fan the practical model of sportsmanship, keeping in mind that the winning the Stanley Cup is likely the tangible aspect of outperforming all other hockey organizations, but isn't an all encompassing definition of peak performance.  Example: Do I feel that CAR was the pinnacle of hockey when they won the SC?  No.

For me it's the entertainment factor.  I find the games more fun to watch when there are amazing players making great plays, when superstars are trying to outdo each other, when you're terrified when the other team's stars are in your d-zone and when your team beats a star-studded team. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I don't understand why people wouldn't mind Eastern Conference teams to win this. Florida, NYR...this is our division and our conference, it only makes our life that much more difficult to ever win. 

If Florida wins the lottery, it helps them with ticket sales and remaining relevant.  Having stable franchises throughout the entire US helps them with TV revenue and maybe leads to a couple of talented kids that are good in multiple sports to choose hockey over say baseball or football; it also increases the footprint of the feeder programs.  Would Matthews be an NHLer without the Coyotes existing?

The sport and the league are better the wider the base is. Since the Sabres don't get the #1 pick, give it to Arizona or Florida and watch the NHL bosses and the fans of the big market teams lose their collective minds.  (Not to mention the likely diatribes we'd hear from Jets fans as they would have a case for having been hosed (even though the rules were set prior to the 1st draft). )

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I genuinely don't give a flying fig about what any other team is doing until my team can prove that they know what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 2