Draft Lottery Part 2, #1 Overall Pick: August 10th, 6pm EDT: NYR Win It

WildCard

https://www.nhl.com/news/phase-2-2020-nhl-draft-lottery/c-318268130

The National Hockey League announced today that Phase 2 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery - which will award the first overall selection in the 2020 NHL Draft - will be conducted at NHL Network's Secaucus, N.J., studio on Monday, Aug. 10, at 6 p.m. ET.

The event, which will be hosted by NHL Network's Jamie Hersch and feature an interview with top-ranked North American skater Alexis Lafreniere, will be broadcast live on NBCSN and NHL Network in the U.S. as well as Sportsnet and TVA Sports in Canada.

The eight teams that do not advance from the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers will be eligible to win Phase 2 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery. All participants will have the same odds (12.5%) and will be represented in the lottery machine by one ball with their team logo.

Edited by WildCard

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am confusion.

What’s happening now?

One of the playoff teams, of the eight play-in losers that didn't win their playoff qualifiers, gets 1st overall via lottery.   The rest are ordered 9-15 based on the inverse order of their regular season points percentages.

My previous post was meta absurdism.

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

One of the playoff teams, of the eight play-in losers that didn't win their playoff qualifiers, gets 1st overall via lottery.

Sorry to be that guy, but -- WHAT?!

I missed the memo.

Who's eligible for this lottery?!

Just now, bunomatic said:

What in tarnation is going on ? Are we locked in at 8 or whatever but teams eliminated from this qualifying round of the playoffs can now move up to number 1 ? What the holy hell is going on ?

The NHL is like the CRA ... never question the infinate "wisdom" of either of those organizations, eh.

Yep, the first 8 losers of the playoffs have a shot at 1 overall. 

A much more balanced, and fair system than the historically bad Red Wings getting the top pick, to be sure. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Yep, the first 8 losers of the playoffs have a shot at 1 overall. 

A much more balanced, and fair system than the historical bad Red Wings getting the top pick, to be sure. 

Makes no sense. And what of the teams that were so putrid, so filthy bad, so disgustingly incompetent that they couldn’t even limp their way into the playoffs ? Nada ? I no understand this system of snakes and ladders.

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Makes no sense. And what of the teams that were so putrid, so filthy bad, so disgustingly incompetent that they couldn’t even limp their way into the playoffs ? Nada ? I no understand this system of snakes and ladders.

It's worse this year of course due to actual playoff teams qualifying for a shot at 1st overall, but the main issue stems from the amount of teams allowed in the lottery in general. 

In a regular year the 20th ranked Jets by points% would have won the lottery as their placeholder pick was drawn the first time. Why the pick should be eligible go to a mid-pack team is beyond me. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Can we edit the thread title to 8/10 instead of today's date?

This will be good to finally have this out of the way and settled. I really don't understand why the league felt the need to drum up interest by splitting the lottery. Sure, 15 minutes of TV ratings is all well and good, but having the lottery before the 16-team playoff field was fully determined was ridiculous.

I just tell myself that from the Sabres perspective there's nothing different between this year's lottery and any of the last 3 lotteries except for the timing. One team behind us leapfrogged us and we like to draft #8 anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Can we edit the thread title to 8/10 instead of today's date?

This will be good to finally have this out of the way and settled. I really don't understand why the league felt the need to drum up interest by splitting the lottery. Sure, 15 minutes of TV ratings is all well and good, but having the lottery before the 16-team playoff field was fully determined was ridiculous.

I just tell myself that from the Sabres perspective there's nothing different between this year's lottery and any of the last 3 lotteries except for the timing. One team behind us leapfrogged us and we like to draft #8 anyway.

...to smashing success 

the nhl always seems to have these gimicky things with the draft. why not be like other sports and the worst team has the best chances based on number of balls in the spinny thing. 

#1 pick shouldnt go to a playoff bound team, its so dumb.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I missed the memo.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

What in tarnation is going on ? Are we locked in at 8 or whatever but teams eliminated from this qualifying round of the playoffs can now move up to number 1 ? What the holy hell is going on ?

Did you guys miss the initial draft lottery?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I missed the memo.

Because playoffs have 24 teams this year, the 8 lowest team in each conference are playing a qualifier round (best of five series).  The losers from the qualifying round (eight teams, four from each conference) fill in the seven draft spots 9-15 in reverse order of their regular season points percentage (like they didn't make the playoffs).  And because one of those "play-in slots" won the draft lottery a few weeks back, one of the teams that loses will pick 1st overall.  The eight teams will have even odds (12.5%) to get the #1 overall pick when the lottery phase 2 is done on Monday; teams that don't win lottery phase 2 will fill the #9-#15 picks.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/2020-nhl-playoffs-schedule-stanley-cup-qualifiers/

Team that have already lost the best-of-five qualifier round: New York Rangers

Meanwhile, the top four teams of conference are playing a round robin tournament to seed those spots.  This has no bearing on the draft lottery.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/nhl-return-to-play-round-robin-standings-scenarios/

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

We're already locked in at #8, because the 1st overall pick has already been awarded to Mystery Team.  Phase 2 lottery on Monday determines the mystery team.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m completely confused as to how to this is new news to a bunch of posters...

wut 

I know, it was discussed and explained when the first draft lottery happened 

So basically, on Monday they will be announcing that the Penguins have won the lottery, again......

3 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Or the Eulers 

True, if they blow one more lead

But I think the NHL is tired of giving them 1st and them blowing it, Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin getting up there in age and need a new superstar to take over a youth movement.

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m completely confused as to how to this is new news to a bunch of posters...

wut 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I know, it was discussed and explained when the first draft lottery happened 

So basically, on Monday they will be announcing that the Penguins have won the lottery, again......

DUDE.

A lot of ... stuff has been going on the past few months.

I beg errr one’s forgiveness.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

DUDE.

A lot of ... stuff has been going on the past few months.

I beg errr one’s forgiveness.

Still funny that this “sudden development” is a shock to anyone. 

Yes, the Pens Oilers and Leafs might get the next Alexandre Daigle. 

• Haha (+1) 1