2 hours ago, Weave said:

Way to go out on a limb.

Fine.  If we HAVE to go w/ just 5:

Newhart

Carlin

Miller

Rock

Hedberg.

Madigan or Rudner would be honorable mentions.

And Eddie Murphy should've been on the other list as well.  

Not sure how he was missed.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I couldn't get past Katt using the N word 3 times in every sentence.  Made me wholly uncomfortable. 

Chapelle's take on Gallagher

downloadfile.gif

I hear ya. However when i lived deep in the heart of the West Side here, in the summer time i'd have a bonfire in the backyard, with a few grills going & my HD projector playing Katt's standup shows on the back of my house. And the whole neighborhood would come over, often people I didn't even know, with the demographics being heavily slanted towards african americans & hispanics. Maybe it was just the perfect setting for me but we would've had the cops called on us from everyone laughing so much, if it wasn't for the whole neighborhood being there too. Tbh watching his standup's together in that setting really seemed to bring us all together, kinda ironic given how disgusting that word is on its own.

Chappelle is also known for gratuitously using the N word... context is everything i suppose. This was also like 8 years ago, when times were different & not everything was weaponized like it is today.

But yeah that Chappelle skit was funny as hell... just like most of his stuff imo.

6 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I think you forgot Lenny Bruce, Bob Hope and Mark Twain.   If I hadn't seen 4 of these 5 in person myself I say, "Christ are you Old!"

Here are my top five:

1.) Jerry Seinfeld

2.) Chris Rock

3.) George Carlin

4.) Sarah Silverman

5.) Louis CK (I saw him at small club in NYC back in 1991 - met him after his set.) 

honorable mentions:

a.) Sam Kinison -  Died too early, but had some great HBO specials. 

b.) Sebastian Maniscalco - probably my favorite to watch today.

c.) John Mulaney - too young to be considered great, but definitely rising fast. 

Sebastian Maniscalco is hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

There’s something to be said about a comedian who can be very funny and “clean“... it’s very hard to do… And the master of that would be Bill Cosby.

Jim Gaffigan

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Weave said:

Carlin, Pryor, and Robin Williams round out the GOAT list.

All tops.

You're only given a little spark of madness... you lose that and you're nothing. (and... the line he does before leaves the dressing room in the opening... you know... for the rush).

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

1. George Carlin 

2. Eddie Izzard

Honorable mentions

Bill Burr (although "paper tiger" wasn't as strong as earlier stuff).

Kevin Bridges

Limmy

Tom Segura

Tim Minchin 

Eddie Izzard in Lego form, obviously....

1. Carlin was the greatest ever.  My GF and I stumbled across a special from 1990 the other night, every single bit is hilarious, relevant, and topical today.  Dude hated Boomers 30 years before it was cool.  

2. Pryor was a (relatively) close second.

3. Bill Hicks was also great, it just saddens me that he lived just long to see Dennis Leary steal his act whilst he was busy dying.

4. Steven Wright might be the best I've ever actually seen in person, truly original.  

Dark horse pick at #5: Eddie Pepitone.  He's a bit far out there, and probably not everybody's cup of tea, but he's really, really funny.  

4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Not mention yet, I don’t think:

Rita Rudner

Charlie Murphy 

Hannibal Burress 

Someone should gather all the names and let’s do a top 25 of all time voting contest or something. 

Had her as an honorable mention just missing the top 5.

Her grandmother asked her when she was going to become a great gtprandmother? Probably when she does something spectacular!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.