Best Wings in Buffalo?

Andrew Amerk

6 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

When I was at The Other School in Michigan, there was a bar near the Chevy plant which had a Bouncer and a Barmaid from Buffalo as well as several expats who would go there.  The first time I went in there was in 1992 during the Sabres' regular season.  Once I had found out that there were expats on the staff, I went in late one evening and asked them to bring the cooks out to my table.  We explained to them how to make wings properly.  They made use a few orders with some variations on what we liked and we told them our consensus.

Sure enough, I went there a few weeks later (game 5 of the series against Boston) and over a dozen Buffalo expats were there because word got around that they made wings properly.  Since most of us lived in East Lansing, they opened a second location near MSU in 1993 and moved the Buffalo people to it.  We expats invaded.  Word even got around to the students that the bar had proper wings.  Expats came in from up to 3 hours away to watch Sabres and Bills games just to get wings.  They told me in 1996 on my last visit to the bar before graduation that they figured we would invade like we did.

This weekend, I am protesting Governor Cuomo saying that wings are not a real meal by going to a bar, getting a single order plus carrots, celery, and a potato, and symbolically telling him to get stuffed.

Fake News.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/local-restaurant-inviting-gov-cuomo-for-chicken-wing-meal

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WKBW) — A popular Western New York restaurant is inviting Gov. Andrew Cuomo to visit the restaurant, even offering him what it calls a chicken wing 'meal.' This after Gov. Cuomo last week initially suggested that chicken wings did not qualify as a substantive meal, which he later clarified and said was not the case.

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

Fake News.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/local-restaurant-inviting-gov-cuomo-for-chicken-wing-meal

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WKBW) — A popular Western New York restaurant is inviting Gov. Andrew Cuomo to visit the restaurant, even offering him what it calls a chicken wing 'meal.' This after Gov. Cuomo last week initially suggested that chicken wings did not qualify as a substantive meal, which he later clarified and said was not the case.

27 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Doesn’t sound like fake news. Sounds like he gave his honest opinion. But, being the consummate politician he is, backtracked once he realized he insulted a whole region of his constituents.  

I still will make the point.  I am miffed that he knows so little about us that he would even claim something that outrageous.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Yes. Yes. Yes.  

I've mistakenly ordered wings in Florida and Texas.  Both gave me breaded wings.  I wanted to fight everyone involved in preparing the wings.  WHY?

Florida can ***** right off with wings. Seafood, Cuban sandwiches, and anything made with gator, yes, Florida is top notch. I don't understand how so many places can do such a simple food so badly.

15 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Florida can ***** right off with wings. Seafood, Cuban sandwiches, and anything made with gator, yes, Florida is top notch. I don't understand how so many places can do such a simple food so badly.

I would add that California can’t make good Italian dishes or good pizza (actually, a lot of states don’t know how to make pizza), and that really good Chinese food and Mexican food are hard to come by in WNY. 

41 minutes ago, ubkev said:

You can't get a proper fish fry in Florida, and the closest they have is $29 a plate.

Just now, Weave said:

You can't get a proper fish fry in Florida, and the closest they have is $29 a plate.

Is a fish fry a very New York thing? Back home it was an every single restaurant thing. They don't really do em where I live now.

As far as Florida seafood I was speaking in general terms. I've never had a bad seafood meal there. But I've also never ordered a beer battered haddock complete with fries and ketchup (yeah, I'm trashy.)

Just now, ubkev said:

Is a fish fry a very New York thing? Back home it was an every single restaurant thing. They don't really do em where I live now.

As far as Florida seafood I was speaking in general terms. I've never had a bad seafood meal there. But I've also never ordered a beer battered haddock complete with fries and ketchup (yeah, I'm trashy.)

I don't know about NY as a whole, it is certainly a western NY thing.

Add slaw and mac salad.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Add slaw and mac salad.....

CNY is very Italian and very Catholic. It's the only thing you can order during Lent. 

And I flipping hate cabbage, so hold the slaw, or give it to my wife.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I remember H. Salt Fish and Chips and Arthur Treachers fast food fish places.  That's how old I am.  But, I have never set foot in a Long John Silver's.

5 hours ago, inkman said:

I wanted to fight everyone involved in preparing the wings.  WHY?

It's a genetic subconscious reflex.  If that would have occurred in WNY and you  would have thrown down with the restaurant staff I'm fairly certain the case would have been thrown out in a court of law.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

If I never go to Florida ever again, it will be too soon. That place sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Me neither! ***** it! I'm going to Long John Silver's tomorrow lol

I'd like to hear your review of the place.  If it's decent, maybe I'll go.  Nebraska is as far from an ocean that you can get.

9 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I used to go to the one on Elmwood and Summer for lunch when I was in HS.

I went to the one in NT close to the Mid-City Plaza in high school .  The fish wasn't bad and the chips were really good.  The best part is that my buddy worked there, so I got my fish just the way I liked it: FREE.

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Gotcha, I haven't seen any Long John Silvers in this area (not that I've been actively looking), maybe back in the day.

There are a few around.  There is one in my town.  I think I'm still considered metro Buffalo, but maybe not.  Used to be one on Union Road north of Losson.  No idea if it is still there.  It was 30 years ago, LOL

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

There are a few around.  There is one in my town.  I think I'm still considered metro Buffalo, but maybe not.  Used to be one on Union Road north of Losson.  No idea if it is still there.  It was 30 years ago, LOL

Yeah I thought there used to be one on Dick Road too close to St. Barnabas.  Near Macaroon's.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.