Best Wings in Buffalo?

Andrew Amerk

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Big, meaty things to put your mouth around.  What else would you think he meant?

I was thinking not to get banned from this site. 

Edited by Tondas

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is a place near me (sorry, no name.  I try not to be obvious about my locale) that makes hot garlic wings.  Franks and butter in good proportion, followed by a heavy dose of minced fresh garlic and parmesan, and then they are put in the pizza oven until the garlic and parm get good and carmelized.  It crisps up the wings a little further too.  Really tasty spin on Buffalo wings.

That's the type of uniqueness I'm into.  I'm not into these habanero raspberry butterscotch varieties.  I like the slight spin on the Buffalo wings.  Some of these tasty places use ketchup or sweet wine.  Subtle incorporation of ingredients that give the wings an exclusive taste.

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

Extra large wings re often a bit more finicky to make well than 375-400 for 10-12 minutes.  Sometimes that can work out well, but those huge wings are tougher than smaller wings and usually benefit from a slow cook until nearly done and then a finish at hot temp to crisp up.  I've stopped buying jumbo wings because of the pain in the ass factor to make them consistently great.

I concur.

13 minutes ago, Tondas said:

When you say Hooters does have great wings, what exactly are you referring to?

Sounds like something my exes would say when I tried telling them that Hooters actually has good wings. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From the wing fest, some of the best "different" flavours come  from out-of-town or even in town at an ethic place.  In town, I have had Korean, Indian curry, and Thai Peanut Sauce wings that are just out of this world.  For out of town, one of the best came from fricking Grand Forks, North Dakota.  There was a place from Houston, Texas that had superb Texas Barbecue wings.  Another from New Mexico had a delectable Tex-Mex.

If you live out of town, I suggest that if you know what flavours are done well locally, then get wings like that.  It would be hard to go wrong.  Here, we can rely on standard mild-medium-hot-suicide combos as a fall-back; think of this fall-back as how you should look at wings where you live.  I can't imagine Cajun wings in New Orleans or Cuban-sauced wings in Miami being anything other than excellent.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

From the wing fest, some of the best "different" flavours come  from out-of-town or even in town at an ethic place.  In town, I have had Korean, Indian curry, and Thai Peanut Sauce wings that are just out of this world.  For out of town, one of the best came from fricking Grand Forks, North Dakota.  There was a place from Houston, Texas that had superb Texas Barbecue wings.  Another from New Mexico had a delectable Tex-Mex.

If you live out of town, I suggest that if you know what flavours are done well locally, then get wings like that.  It would be hard to go wrong.  Here, we can rely on standard mild-medium-hot-suicide combos as a fall-back; think of this fall-back as how you should look at wings where you live.  I can't imagine Cajun wings in New Orleans or Cuban-sauced wings in Miami being anything other than excellent.

At Wing Fest, I had incredible wings from an ND place - they called it shark sauce. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You need large or extra large size wings, split and separated into just the drum and the flat. Take that and fry it in your favorite frying oil for 10 minutes at 375-400 degree (internal temp should be at least 165f) you can go 12 minutes if you want "extra crisp" (you can also take them out of the fryer (10min) and put them in a preheated oven at 425 for 2-4 minutes after the fryer to get some extra crisp). You sauce them immediately after you finish cooking, to sauce you can do 1 of 2 methods. A) You get a mixing bowling with your fav sauce, toss the wings in it, pick them out with tongs and serve. B) Get a basting brush, hand paint each wing (Bar-Bill does this) and then serve. Always serve with blue cheese and celery, a good blue cheese is also essential. Wings don't travel well so don't box them, serve them fresh from the fryer for best crisp and taste. 

Wing sauces can impact overall product but Frank's Wing Sauce is a pretty solid start or just get Frank's and mix it with some butter to desired flavor. 

(ps grilling and smoking wings is awesome as well but I was just giving the traditional Buffalo level of wing)

10 minutes is very short.  No wonders you are worried about meeting a minimal cook on them.

In my 4 quart fryer, (which maxes out at 375°F), fry 2-1/2 lbs of wings (historically 18 wings from a 10 lb. bag of frozen wings, lately more like 16 wings)) if they were pre-thawed, fry them for 14 minutes & then depending on how they sound give them another 2-4 minutes.  The crisp comes out perfect.  (If there wasn't time to thaw them 1st, go 16 + typically 4 more minutes (exact time depends on the sound when shaken).)  Peanut oil is the best of what is readily available nowadays.  But nothing compares to the fry you'd get off the old "deep fat."  If you fry them properly and condense the sauce properly, there is no reason to mess around with an oven.  The crisp will be perfect without such extraneous steps.

For a traditional Buffalo hot style, go w/ Frank's & unsalted butter.  And remember hot wings are better for you because there is less butter.  Mine typically have about 6 other spices & sauces added to tweak the flavor, but mine can go from medium to extremely hot w/ no change to the flavor.  (There's no way to make mild wings that don't get overwhelmed by butter.  Yeah, "Frank's Wing Sauce" is OK; but Frank's & fresh butter is soooooo much better, there is no excuse for not melting a little butter in with the Frank's.

And for the love of all that is good & holy DON'T ADD VINEGAR.  Frank's has all the vinegar you need.  Save the vinegar for the fries. ?

Start the sauce at latest when the wings are dropped, so that it can condense properly.  It'll stick to the wings very well & won't be "soupy,"

Marie's blue cheese (any of the 3 varieties work depending on just how many calories you want), & fresh cut celery, & don't forget carrots.

One of these days will get a 2 basket restaurant fryer, but the dueling 4 quart fryers will keep stuff coming out of the kitchen. 

And remember, the appetizers like cheese sticks, french fries, & pizza rolls are done at only 350°F.

And, if you have to transport the wings (e.g. your dish to pass is wings), keep them dropped an extra minute or 2 & sauce them when you get where you're going.  The crisp is effected slighty, but it's closer to proper than making them fully & transporting them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

In General, do people care about other flavors? Don't get me wrong, when I have wings not in Buffalo I almost exclusively have interesting flavors because the traditional ones just don't measure up.

I wonder which, Pasquale's on Main (walking distance) is my go-to toe pizza and wings when I'm home. The wings there are pretty good, although I don't eat them often so I may be out of touch. Otherwise, it'd probably be Sorretinos/whatever-its-called-now in the plaza across from Tops. My parents don't like it as much since the ownership change, but that was our #1 before that.

Bar Bill has a takeout window in back now, and Hamlin park is nearby. Depending on the time of day, wings in the park is good eats.

Wasn't a pizzeria.  Was a regular sit down restaurant about 4 blocks off Main St.  Was probably 3 years ago when we went.  Am sure the 'rents would remember its name.

Back in High School circa '78-'82... Duffs suicidals were the best... couldn't tell you now and don't eat suicidals... I like big juicy wings with an outside crisp and tangy sauce... can't eat suicidals anymore let alone many hots at one sitting... make my own at this point since I am nowhere near anything good.

My biggest complaint, as an expat of WNY, is the size of out-of-state restaurant's wings.    Paper clip size.  But Frank's is Frank;s , so I just order more.  And if they ask me if I want Blue Cheese or Ranch, I have to hold my temper.  They may think there is a  a choice. 

Edited by Tondas

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

My biggest complaint, as an expat of WNY, is the size of out-of-state restaurant's wings.    Paper clip size.  But Frank's is Frank;s , so I just order more.  And if they ask me if I want Blue Cheese or Ranch, I have to hold my temper.  They may think there is a  a choice. 

Or bone out wth is that bs... those are called chicken strips...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I think the whole "Buffalo wing" concept has been beaten to death.  You could probably find "Buffalo wings" in Burkina Faso.

The wings in a batter are actually pretty good.  The sports bar Vinny's on the Cheektowaga/W Seneca border used to do that.  Also Hooter's does it as well.  You can purchase the flour mix they use.  Whenever I prepare wings that way I go with a very thin coating.  Going too heavy on the batter runs the risk of having those hair-like filaments left after cooking.  I lose my appetite when I see those goddam things right before taking a bite.

I understand what you are saying but once you put batter on a chicken wing, you are no longer serving some form of a Buffalo wing. It would be like putting batter on a brisket and calling it BBQ. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've never understood blue cheese on wings.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a weirdo that likes ranch. I just don't see the need for anything on my wing if it's done right.  Blue cheese completely eviscerates the awesome flavor that should already exist.  Don't ***** with it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I understand what you are saying but once you put batter on a chicken wing, you are no longer serving some form of a Buffalo wing. It would be like putting batter on a brisket and calling it BBQ. 

I agree with you.  Just pointing out that no matter how they're prepared people like to slap the "Buffalo wing" description on it.  It's become generalized.

I was also mentioning how wings with a batter are pretty damn good if done correctly.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

I've never understood blue cheese on wings.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a weirdo that likes ranch. I just don't see the need for anything on my wing if it's done right.  Blue cheese completely eviscerates the awesome flavor that should already exist.  Don't ***** with it. 

I eat a lot of wings and my wife can testify to that.  If we order wings in a restaurant and I'm dipping them in Bleu cheese she knows that the wings suck.

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I agree with you.  Just pointing out that no matter how they're prepared people like to slap the "Buffalo wing" description on it.  It's become generalized.

I was also mentioning how wings with a batter are pretty damn good if done correctly.  

That's true and I agree on all of this. 

18 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I've always liked Nine-Eleven for their consistency.  Didn't realize the same guy has allegedly made them for the last 30 years.  Crispy outside, tender inside.  Unique sauce, think they may use a grated cheese in it.  Maybe that's what might cause some people to get upset stomachs.  The key to that place is get there early.  Like when they open early.

Yeah, its either fresh garlic or maybe parm?  they also mix a little bleu cheese in the sauce

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I dunno - i like the hot sauce mixed with bleu cheese flavor?  I like a good chunky one too so i get some bits in there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Wife does it to notch the heat down a bit.  Me likely HOT wings.  ?

Personally, hate having blue cheese ON the wings themselves.  The blue cheese goes WITH the wings as a side via the carrots & celery.

But putting blue cheese on the wing makes as much sense as putting fries ON the burger.  Yes, they're both going to end up in the same place but they don't have to reach that intermediary destination at the exact same time.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Wife does it to notch the heat down a bit.  Me likely HOT wings.  ?

Personally, hate having blue cheese ON the wings themselves.  The blue cheese goes WITH the wings as a side via the carrots & celery.

But putting blue cheese on the wing makes as much sense as putting fries ON the burger.  Yes, they're both going to end up in the same place but they don't have to reach that intermediary destination at the exact same time.

Yes. Yes. Yes.  

3 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I've mistakenly ordered wings in Florida and Texas.  Both gave me breaded wings.  I wanted to fight everyone involved in preparing the wings.  WHY?

• Like (+1) 1

When I was at The Other School in Michigan, there was a bar near the Chevy plant which had a Bouncer and a Barmaid from Buffalo as well as several expats who would go there.  The first time I went in there was in 1992 during the Sabres' regular season.  Once I had found out that there were expats on the staff, I went in late one evening and asked them to bring the cooks out to my table.  We explained to them how to make wings properly.  They made use a few orders with some variations on what we liked and we told them our consensus.

Sure enough, I went there a few weeks later (game 5 of the series against Boston) and over a dozen Buffalo expats were there because word got around that they made wings properly.  Since most of us lived in East Lansing, they opened a second location near MSU in 1993 and moved the Buffalo people to it.  We expats invaded.  Word even got around to the students that the bar had proper wings.  Expats came in from up to 3 hours away to watch Sabres and Bills games just to get wings.  They told me in 1996 on my last visit to the bar before graduation that they figured we would invade like we did.

This weekend, I am protesting Governor Cuomo saying that wings are not a real meal by going to a bar, getting a single order plus carrots, celery, and a potato, and symbolically telling him to get stuffed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.