Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I'm sorry, if that's embellishment, there's diving on every call. Every time a player drops his stick after being slashed they all of a sudden have weak grip?

Can't tell if serious?

"Hey Sid, did that slash on the arm get under the pad? No? Ok, NO CALL!"

I’m absolutely serious. And you are going to have a hard time proving me wrong. To the NHL, the result of a play has almost been the largest factor in how they dole out punishment.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m absolutely serious. And you are going to have a hard time proving me wrong. To the NHL, the result of a play has almost been the largest factor in how they dole out punishment.

I didn't say the result and neither did you.

You said he wouldn't have felt it cause he had a jock on. Whether he felt pain or not is irrelevant. I don't have to prove you wrong - you are wrong. Pain is not a determining factor for penalty calls. 

The closest is blood on a high sticking call, and even that doesn't necessarily imply pain/how much was felt. If you high stick someone in the visor, it's a penalty. Regardless of contact/pain. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That I am right about the determining factors for penalty calls. 

I’m saying that the reason he stopped skating and fell to the ice was not because he was hit in the nuggets, it was because he new if he did that, he could draw a penalty. That’s a dive.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m saying that the reason he stopped skating and fell to the ice was not because he was hit in the nuggets, it was because he new if he did that, he could draw a penalty. That’s a dive.

Just not going to be able to get there. Your position is assuming several pieces of knowledge from within the player's head, it's too dicey for my liking. 

I'm simply looking at the amount of contact being made and determining it to be sufficient to constitute a hook. This wasn't a hard determination to make as it was very comparable to the contact of most other hooking calls. 

It's just about consistency. I'm arguing it in a practical sense and you are more on the ideological side. I can see your point it's just not how the game is generally officiated. 

Edited by Thorny

I listened to the TB radio feed (WFLA) for a couple of games earlier in the playoffs.  They have a guy doing the play-by-play.  Not bad, very passionate on the TB goals.  And they have this other guy who sounded rough and very unpolished.  I knew I had heard the voice before. Phil Esposito!  Openly rooting!  Moaning and groaning!  It was very hard to listen to the broadcast.  But then some of his analysis was spot on..  I guess he is about 78 y.o.  He was never popular in Buffalo as he was part of the Big Bad Bruins when the Sabres entered the league.  Still not!

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

If you play hockey and have worn a cup,... he didn’t feel anything. 

All of a sudden his legs just don’t work anymore?! He embelished. Good call.

I play hockey.. I wear a cup, I've taken a stick to the nuggets.. you most assuredly feel it.

I was on the ice for a few minutes after it happened... the cup kept me from being at the hospital. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Yea I let the Perry hate flow.

Sorry if he’s your friend or something.

Nah, I don't care. I just acknowledge that he is (more was, but still a little bit) a good hockey player with an edge to his game that helps win games. Every winning line up needs some guys like that on it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.