Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Tampa > Dallas

East > West

Disagree. It's always about match ups and goalies. Dallas has Colorado's number but I'd bet Colorado would give Tampa a tougher final. Tampa's been the cup favourite for years now, bubble hockey helped them get to the end. In normal hockey I bet you they wouldn't have made it past Columbus. 

On 9/22/2020 at 4:44 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Sure it's opinion but Perry in his prime paired with Getzlaf won a cup. You telling me a guy like Perry in his prime paired with Jack wouldn't dominate? We could use as many Perrys as we can find. Cozens might be one. 

Having Perry 10 years ago and making the playoffs vs. adding Prime-Perry to our current roster as RW1 are two very different thread conversations.

Adding Prime-Perry now would be awesome. Of course, we said the same at the end of last season when JBot added Simmonds. Adding 4th-line Simmonds is… meh? But we needed the Prime-Simmonds of 5 years ago. We also added Prime-EvanderKane to baby Eichel's team to little/no effect. However, to your point, if Cozens is Prime-Perry in 1-2 seasons, and these new droids do work out, then I want to transmit my application to the Academy this year…

-----activate dream sequence-----

But --- more fun! Is idle overnight speculation! Let’s try adding Perry 10 years ago. Do recall, 10 years ago we had The Concept of Kassian to become that Prime-Perry. Exactly 10 years ago wouldn’t work because Anaheim needed him for the playoffs, so let’s go back to when we could’ve landed Perry.

It’s the summer of 2013. Pominville has been traded for Larsson. Ron Rolston has gone from interim head coach to full-time.

We’re blowing up our soft core and getting grittier. We had added John Scott (UFA) and Steve Ott (for Derek Roy) the previous year, but it wasn’t enough for newly extended Cody Hodgson as our 1C and young C corp. At the same time, Anaheim is looking to lock up either Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry long-term to match with their Getzlaf extension.

[[ In real life, Bobby Ryan was traded to Ottawa for Jakob Silfverberg, D Noesen (recent 1st-round D), and a 2014 1st --- so here’s our opportunity for revision! --- instead, Anaheim trades with Buffalo for a young stud forward, a recent 1st-round D, and the 2014 1st. We don’t have a young stud winger like Silfverberg to replace Perry. But! We do have a much cheaper, solid winger AND a good Anaheim-style winger who will give them sandpaper. ]]

Here’s my trade:

In the summer of 2013, BUF trades F Drew Stafford, F Marcus Foligno, D Nikita Zadorov (for consistency), and a 2014 1st (no Reinhart or later 1st round pick; note: I'm not making this a lottery-protected pick and risk losing Eichel; but this does give us our RW in place of Samson) to Anaheim for RW Corey Perry. Perry immediately signs the same 8-year/$8.625M contract with us that he’d signed with Anaheim in real life.

Revising a touch further, I’m giving everyone back their health for the start of the season (Foligno, Armia, and Tropp were injured to start).

Here’s our opening night lineup for the 2013-14 season, subbing Perry for Stafford and adding a healthy Tropp back in for Kevin Porter (back to ROC). Armia gets more time in the minors, and Foligno and Zadorov are in Anaheim.

Vanek – Hodgson – Perry
Ott – Ennis – Leino
Girgensons – Grigorenko – Flynn
Tropp – McCormick – Kaleta
(Larsson, Scott)

Ehrhoff – Pysyk
Weber – Ristolainen
Tallinder – Myers
(McBain)

Miller
(Enroth)

C- Vanek (home); C- Ott (road); A- Ehrhoff.
Head coach: Ron Rolston

It's better than with Stafford, but is it all that much better? We still have no center depth (particularly with Hodgson's illness). Do we still suffer on by moving Vanek and Miller this 2013-14 season? Do we still Sabrepede in early November?

TL;DR Insomnia is a cruel mistress/master.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Having Perry 10 years ago and making the playoffs vs. adding Prime-Perry to our current roster as RW1 are two very different thread conversations.

Adding Prime-Perry now would be awesome. Of course, we said the same at the end of last season when JBot added Simmonds. Adding 4th-line Simmonds is… meh? But we needed the Prime-Simmonds of 5 years ago. We also added Prime-EvanderKane to baby Eichel's team to little/no effect. However, to your point, if Cozens is Prime-Perry in 1-2 seasons, and these new droids do work out, then I want to transmit my application to the Academy this year…

-----activate dream sequence-----

But --- more fun! Is idle overnight speculation! Let’s try adding Perry 10 years ago. Do recall, 10 years ago we had The Concept of Kassian to become that Prime-Perry. Exactly 10 years ago wouldn’t work because Anaheim needed him for the playoffs, so let’s go back to when we could’ve landed Perry.

It’s the summer of 2013. Pominville has been traded for Larsson. Ron Rolston has gone from interim head coach to full-time.

We’re blowing up our soft core and getting grittier. We had added John Scott (UFA) and Steve Ott (for Derek Roy) the previous year, but it wasn’t enough for newly extended Cody Hodgson as our 1C and young C corp. At the same time, Anaheim is looking to lock up either Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry long-term to match with their Getzlaf extension.

[[ In real life, Bobby Ryan was traded to Ottawa for Jakob Silfverberg, D Noesen (recent 1st-round D), and a 2014 1st --- so here’s our opportunity for revision! --- instead, Anaheim trades with Buffalo for a young stud forward, a recent 1st-round D, and the 2014 1st. We don’t have a young stud winger like Silfverberg to replace Perry. But! We do have a much cheaper, solid winger AND a good Anaheim-style winger who will give them sandpaper. ]]

Here’s my trade:

In the summer of 2013, BUF trades F Drew Stafford, F Marcus Foligno, D Nikita Zadorov (for consistency), and a 2014 1st (no Reinhart or later 1st round pick; note: I'm not making this a lottery-protected pick and risk losing Eichel; but this does give us our RW in place of Samson) to Anaheim for RW Corey Perry. Perry immediately signs the same 8-year/$8.625M contract with us that he’d signed with Anaheim in real life.

Revising a touch further, I’m giving everyone back their health for the start of the season (Foligno, Armia, and Tropp were injured to start).

Here’s our opening night lineup for the 2013-14 season, subbing Perry for Stafford and adding a healthy Tropp back in for Kevin Porter (back to ROC). Armia gets more time in the minors, and Foligno and Zadorov are in Anaheim.

Vanek – Hodgson – Perry
Ott – Ennis – Leino
Girgensons – Grigorenko – Flynn
Tropp – McCormick – Kaleta
(Larsson, Scott)

Ehrhoff – Pysyk
Weber – Ristolainen
Tallinder – Myers
(McBain)

Miller
(Enroth)

C- Vanek (home); C- Ott (road); A- Ehrhoff.
Head coach: Ron Rolston

It's better than with Stafford, but is it all that much better? We still have no center depth (particularly with Hodgson's illness). Do we still suffer on by moving Vanek and Miller this 2013-14 season? Do we still Sabrepede in early November?

TL;DR Insomnia is a cruel mistress/master.

That was fun.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Well no, any team with Leino on it would still be bad 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

On both. Good calls.

I disagree.

He got hooked in the nuts. It was absolutely, positively not a dive. 

And the first one, I was talking about Heiskanen absolutely levelling the Tampa player with a cross check to the back. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

If you play hockey and have worn a cup,... he didn’t feel anything. 

All of a sudden his legs just don’t work anymore?! He embelished. Good call.

This is a bad defense. Penalties aren't called based on how much the infraction is felt. 

I'm sorry, if that's embellishment, there's diving on every call. Every time a player drops his stick after being slashed they all of a sudden have weak grip?

Just now, SwampD said:

Since when?

Can't tell if serious?

"Hey Sid, did that slash on the arm get under the pad? No? Ok, NO CALL!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.