Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

Just now, Thwomp! said:

I hate to say it but the Islanders are the least of the evils left.

No.  They ruined my childhood.

I repeat, let's just get this over with asap.  Tampa v. Dallas and someone wins in 4.

I'm not even watching the 2OT because it's late.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Idk, I think it should only be a penalty if it was clearly on purpose. Let the refs earn their paycheck. 

If it seems accidental, face off in the offensive zone, defenders don’t get a change. 

No. Refs are arogant, biased douchebags. Take as much discretion out of their hands as possible.

Just now, Eleven said:

No.  They ruined my childhood.

I repeat, let's just get this over with asap.  Tampa v. Dallas and someone wins in 4.

I'm not even watching the 2OT because it's late.

Dude. Tampa. Dallas.

Your childhood is ruined already. Hi Islanders! 🥃

In terms of building competitive teams it is interesting to consider the Islanders approach over say, ours.   They lost their superstar, Tavares,  for nothing, and yet are a better team now than when they had him. Lots of good decisions made by that team, many of them that we could have made but didn't. It's telling. 

Tampa will still win and who cares. Bogo must feel like he died and went to heaven. 

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Agree

i remember the over the glass penalty being started because the NHL braintrust wanted more flow to the game, less stoppages, shorter game times, so to assist that direction they made it a penalty to flip it over the glass in the D zone. And for the most part ... it did work. Games are on average 15 mins shorter than games in the 80’s and 90’s and earlier.

Now maybe I’m misremembering 😂

The rule against intentionally flipping the puck out of play has been around at least as long as the Sabres have existed.  It had always been a discretion call for the refs.

Due to goalies getting really good at "accidentally" shooting the puck over the glass in the early '90's, IIRC in the '94 rulebook the league took some of the referee's discretion away and made it an automatic penalty for a goalie to flip the puck over the boards cleanly.

The same rule was added for the skaters in their own zone coming out of the lockout as one of the "speed up the game" rules.

As for the Kasparitis BS, throwing the puck over the glass has always been a penalty (as has putting your entire hand around the puck).  Absolute joke that he was merely admonished rather than penalized.  Very likely cost the Sabres the Stanley Cup that year.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The rule against intentionally flipping the puck out of play has been around at least as long as the Sabres have existed.  It had always been a discretion call for the refs.

Due to goalies getting really good at "accidentally" shooting the puck over the glass in the early '90's, IIRC in the '94 rulebook the league took some of the referee's discretion away and made it an automatic penalty for a goalie to flip the puck over the boards cleanly.

The same rule was added for the skaters in their own zone coming out of the lockout as one of the "speed up the game" rules.

As for the Kasparitis BS, throwing the puck over the glass has always been a penalty (as has putting your entire hand around the puck).  Absolute joke that he was merely admonished rather than penalized.  Very likely cost the Sabres the Stanley Cup that year.

Much as I like to think that, the original sin that year was yanking Mike Peca around.

Then again, you have to wonder how penalties were getting called  with Lemieux's return and Bourque going to Colorado.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

And then on the opposite end, arguably cost us against Carolina (Campbell)

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Much as I like to think that, the original sin that year was yanking Mike Peca around.

Then again, you have to wonder how penalties were getting called  with Lemieux's return and Bourque going to Colorado.

Well, that DID cost the Sabres the Stanley Cup that year & possibly in '02 as well.  (Hasek doesn't demand out if they had Peca or Iginla.)

But even with wasting a full year of Peca's value, that team was a bounce away from the Finals in '01.  (Yes, they had to get past the Devils to do so.  But the Devils had as much chance to be the Sabres in '01 as the Sabres had of beating Filly in '75.)  And they'd won in OT in Denver w/ Biron in net. 2 chances to put away the Pens & they blew both. :censored:

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In terms of building competitive teams it is interesting to consider the Islanders approach over say, ours.   They lost their superstar, Tavares,  for nothing, and yet are a better team now than when they had him. Lots of good decisions made by that team, many of them that we could have made but didn't. It's telling. 

Tampa will still win and who cares. Bogo must feel like he died and went to heaven. 

They are the only team left that doesn’t have a very good defense. They lay great team defense, but their defense isn’t a great unit. 

Cirelli ends it. Tampa Dallas final. 

He carried it up, dumped it in, retrieved the dump, won a battle against 2 players along the boards and then shortly after cashed for the goal. 

- - - 

I think I like Tampa in this, but they'll be in-tough game one against a rested Dallas team. 

- - - 

I like it when they touch/pick up the trophy. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.