Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, that used to happen, and the referee's discretion was inconsistently applied, so now it's automatic.  Frankly, this is better than leaving it up to the refs to decide whether it was intentional.  I'm not sure it warrants a two minute penalty, as you say, but discretion is a bad thing here.

I love the rule.

it is kinda funny, though, that a rule put in place mostly to protect fans (and the NHL from lawsuits), decides a game where there were no fans.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I love the rule.

it is kinda funny, though, that a rule put in place mostly to protect fans (and the NHL from lawsuits), decides a game where there were no fans.

Somewhere around here, I've got a book that explains the history behind a lot of NHL rules.  I want to find it and check on this, because I don't think this rule was motivated by fan protection concerns.

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Somewhere around here, I've got a book that explains the history behind a lot of NHL rules.  I want to find it and check on this, because I don't think this rule was motivated by fan protection concerns.

Whatever you find out, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the rule came in to be right around the time the netting went up.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Whatever you find out, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the rule came in to be right around the time the netting went up.

It didn't.  The rule is older than that.  The thing that changed was the league took away the referees' discretion because they were screwing up.

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It didn't.  The rule is older than that.  The thing that changed was the league took away the referees' discretion because they were screwing up.

They added the netting in the ‘02-‘03 season. They added the “over the glass” penalty coming out of the lockout.

Edited by SwampD

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They added the netting in the ‘02-‘03 season. They added the “over the glass” penalty coming out of the lockout.

Are you certain?  Could be a case of false memory, but I would swear that there were delay of game penalties for putting the puck over the glass in the 80s.

My book is older than the lockout, so if you're correct, it's not going to help.  And I can't find it anyway.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Are you certain?  Could be a case of false memory, but I would swear that there were delay of game penalties for putting the puck over the glass in the 80s.

My book is older than the lockout, so if you're correct, it's not going to help.  And I can't find it anyway.

Maybe it had to be blatant or even thrown over the glass back then.

But I remember coming out of the lockout and them touting these new rules to promote more offense, and even at the time, I was skeptical and thought, “Right,... that’s because of that little girl,...”

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Anyone fine with Tampa winning it all needs to go watch that footage of Dahlin laying unconscious in a pool of his own blood after an elbow from one of their troglodytes and hang their head in shame.

I read this post and realized that I have no memory of any sabres games that I wasn't in attendance for (2) in the last 5 years. I remember us booing the sabres at home vs Arizona when we were tanking for Jack. Before that I remember Miller getting trucked by Lucic. I remember the first 2 Sabrespace meet up games. Other than that, I've got nothing! I have no memory of Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin. Vague things that someone would have to bring up for me to think about, maybe. Who'd Jack score that OT winner against with time expiring and the camera cut to Rick? 

So anyway...no clue what you're talking about, dude! I'm sure it happened and I'm sure I don't remember.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Anyone fine with Tampa winning it all needs to go watch that footage of Dahlin laying unconscious in a pool of his own blood after an elbow from one of their troglodytes and hang their head in shame.

I imagine every current franchise has done us dirty in one way or another in recent times. As we have them.

The reason Sabres fans hate successful franchises is exactly that — they're doing well and we're at or very near the top of most disgraceful sports franchises of the past 10 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

I read this post and realized that I have no memory of any sabres games that I wasn't in attendance for (2) in the last 5 years. I remember us booing the sabres at home vs Arizona when we were tanking for Jack. Before that I remember Miller getting trucked by Lucic. I remember the first 2 Sabrespace meet up games. Other than that, I've got nothing! I have no memory of Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin. Vague things that someone would have to bring up for me to think about, maybe. Who'd Jack score that OT winner against with time expiring and the camera cut to Rick? 

So anyway...no clue what you're talking about, dude! I'm sure it happened and I'm sure I don't remember.

I had the same problem.  I couldn't remember any instance where Dahlin was lying unconscious in a pool of his own blood.  I really thought I had missed something.

5 minutes ago, steveoath said:

If this is what @sabremike is referencing, I'd like to know which of Olofsson, Reinhart, Eichel, and/or Skinner he expected to ruin a power play and run the guy who hit Dahlin.  Arguably it's Jack's job; it would have been very stupid in this context.

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, that used to happen, and the referee's discretion was inconsistently applied, so now it's automatic.  Frankly, this is better than leaving it up to the refs to decide whether it was intentional.  I'm not sure it warrants a two minute penalty, as you say, but discretion is a bad thing here.

Unlike every single other penalty in OT. 

It's dumb. It's an overweighted variable. It being inconsistently applied would actually put it on equal footing with the other rules. I'm fine with the call in the regular season where the other penalties calls are at least explainable usually within the realm of subjectivity - but in playoff OT they actively stop making calls on the other rules, yet the over-the-glass is managed in exactly the same way. 

It's such a weird discrepancy, the way playoffs are managed relative to the regular season, in general. By far the biggest discrepancy between regular and post season among the 4 major sports. When constructing a team, you really need to plan for two unique and distinct playing scenarios. 

Well, most teams do. 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Agree

i remember the over the glass penalty being started because the NHL braintrust wanted more flow to the game, less stoppages, shorter game times, so to assist that direction they made it a penalty to flip it over the glass in the D zone. And for the most part ... it did work. Games are on average 15 mins shorter than games in the 80’s and 90’s and earlier.

Now maybe I’m misremembering 😂

Edited by Zamboni

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So, Kasparaitis throwing the puck over the glass wasn’t a penalty?

I think it's one of the major reasons why referee discretion was taken out of the evaluation.  If it's over the glass, it's over the glass.  No more "well, he didn't mean it, he's a Penguin!" nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't mind it one bit.  It's better than ref's discretion.  It's the provenance of the rule that is in question now.

A rule is only a rule if it is enforced. I really don't think it was a coincidence that they took it away from a ref's discretion shortly after they added the netting. That was definitely coming out of the '04-'05 lockout.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

A rule is only a rule if it is enforced. I really don't think it was a coincidence that they took it away from a ref's discretion shortly after they added the netting. That was definitely coming out of the '04-'05 lockout.

Oh, that, we agree on.

It's the referee discretion part that changed coming out of the lockout, I think.  I still think it was always a rule, but enforced at discretion.  Similar to how one punch might be roughing, or it might be nothing.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I think it's one of the major reasons why referee discretion was taken out of the evaluation.  If it's over the glass, it's over the glass.  No more "well, he didn't mean it, he's a Penguin!" nonsense.

Idk, I think it should only be a penalty if it was clearly on purpose. Let the refs earn their paycheck. 

If it seems accidental, face off in the offensive zone, defenders don’t get a change. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.