Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Who here thinks Reaves should have gotten a game suspension? He did hit the head, but it was with the back of his shoulder and it looked like Motte dodged out of the way of a big hit that Reaves had already lined up. I don't think it was over Malicious, just going for the hit, as he has been all series. 

Repeat offender. No big deal really. Pretty usual usual. 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

For whatever reason the NHL thinks 1 game is enough in the playoffs, it's stupid to put more weight on these games than any other. 

Especially for Ryan Reaves.  I get it when they do it for Ovechkin; they want one of the faces of the league on the ice.  It's wrong, but at least logical.  This guy?

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This game is Booorrrring. 

I came home after a very unusually heavy dinner and this game is adding to the food coma; it certainly isn't keeping me awake.  

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Especially for Ryan Reaves.  I get it when they do it for Ovechkin; they want one of the faces of the league on the ice.  It's wrong, but at least logical.  This guy?

I came home after a very unusually heavy dinner and this game is adding to the food coma; it certainly isn't keeping me awake.  

Right after the whole skating for black lives with Mr. Reaves leading the way.... They couldn't look bad with a harsh suspension.... Too soon? 

That was a NJ stlye 1994 boring fest 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Right after the whole skating for black lives with Mr. Reaves leading the way.... They couldn't look bad with a harsh suspension.... Too soon? 

That was a NJ stlye 1994 boring fest 

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I thought the 1 game suspension was just right. He didn’t target the head but it was the first point of contact.

I thought this game was boring, and that it was Vegas’ fault. They didn’t bring much.

Gotta go with Woody here.  It was NJ style the whole game.  

19 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

And yet, we had Ryan O'Reilly and were still terrible.

As much as we do critically need a very good 2C, as you point out, it's not going to be some magic fix for this team, as currently constructed.

I would compare the current Sabres with a typical Bills team of the last 20 years, prior to the McD/Beane administration coming up to speed.  Our overall talent level up and down the roster is below par, and until the entire team gets better, we aren't going to be very good.

Of course there are a few exceptions.  Jack has finally blossomed into his best self, I think.  No need to improve there.

Dahlin has an enormous way to go yet, but I have faith he'll get there.

Larsson and Girgs are solid 4th line pluggers on a good team.

Skinner, if used correctly, will go back to a 40 goal man (I have faith) and Reinhart is Reinhart.  Lots to like, lots to not like.

Sorry!  Didn't mean to ramble on about Sabres in the playoffs thread.

On the Reaves hit, I thought he was going for a big hit, but Motte kinda ducked and stuck his head in there at the last second, which turned it into a kill shot to the head.  I would prefer that the NHL adopt a stricter policy -- ie that the hitter needs to make it his business to avoid the head at all costs -- but they aren't there yet.  Under the current rules, I think Reaves' punishment was about right, and I don't think a skill player would've been suspended at all. 

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Hayes at 50m over 7 years is a massive overpay...massive.

He's never scored 50 points...

13 points in 16 games this playoffs.  Lead all Flyers in scoring even though as you note, not his forte.  UFA’s are always overpaid.  The nature of a free market.   He has allowed Giroux to slot back to FL#1 and have two complete lines.  Which is what the Sabres are desperately lacking.  Scoring on a second line.  

19 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

13 points in 16 games this playoffs.  Lead all Flyers in scoring even though as you note, not his forte.  UFA’s are always overpaid.  The nature of a free market.   He has allowed Giroux to slot back to FL#1 and have two complete lines.  Which is what the Sabres are desperately lacking.  Scoring on a second line.  

They still over paid for him by about 1.5m and 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.