Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I thought it was right after signing the big contract but I might have that memory wrong. Point is we brought him in as a key piece when he was like that. We also had party animal Kane raping the pillaging the town (allegedly) and well, in recent years there's more stories and rumours in that direction than in the dedicated athlete direction. Lehner came into that mix. 

We acquired him on June 26th. We signed him to the extension 6 days later. 7 days after that he had an insatiable craving for Tim Bits.

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

Who cares?

He was here.

He chose himself over his team.

***** him.

I wish him no good will professionally.

Come on.  We know you are more generous of spirit than this.

Robin was young and he made some poor choices that were fed and exacerbated by mental health issues.  Then he had the guts and selflessness to come clean about it publicly because he wanted to help others.

He is certainly responsible for his choices, and the consequences of those choices. But he’s suffered and been embarrassed publicly, and he’s lost millions of dollars in the process.

I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life. I sure hope there aren’t that many people out there rooting for me to fail in the future because of those mistakes.

FWIW, I also think rooting for someone to fail has a corrosive affect on the person doing the rooting. It’s not good for you. Kindness, forgiveness and supportiveness is.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ubkev said:

If memory serves, O'Reilly got hammered and drove into the Hortons before he ever played a game with the sabres.

Now, the culture here does suck. But it isn't the reason that ROR DWI'd Timmy Ho's and then bought his way out of it. That has more to do with being young and rich.

Plenty of adults drunk drive — into Tim Horton's and various other places. I don't think it had that much to do with being young (anyway he was 24, so I'd call him an adult). Or rich. He was irresponsible and maybe he had/has a drinking problem.

We've gone through this many, many times on this board. Blaming youth for various indiscretions. And the definition of young keeps creeping up. We've even heard the biological explanation — men's (certainly not women's) brains aren't fully developed until age 26.

Stereotypes. Not good things. (In general, I wouldn't want to stereotype stereotypes.) ROR, rich and "young." Of course he drove drunk into a donut shop. Of course he did! Didn't we all?!

We just went through an exercise in challenging certain stereotypes about young male athletes when Milbury said women weren't around the NHL playoffs to distract the men. Lots of people in hockey said that was a wrong stereotype because not all young men in hockey are out chasing the ladies — and the women around hockey do not exist to distract the men. That of course would upset some people on this board who think they know what normal behavior is because that's what they did and that's what "society" says is normal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Come on.  We know you are more generous of spirit than this.

Robin was young and he made some poor choices that were fed and exacerbated by mental health issues.  Then he had the guts and selflessness to come clean about it publicly because he wanted to help others.

He is certainly responsible for his choices, and the consequences of those choices. But he’s suffered and been embarrassed publicly, and he’s lost millions of dollars in the process.

I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life. I sure hope there aren’t that many people out there rooting for me to fail in the future because of those mistakes.

FWIW, I also think rooting for someone to fail has a corrosive affect on the person doing the rooting. It’s not good for you. Kindness, forgiveness and supportiveness is.

Here it is again. Lehner was 27-ish. Dumb kid.

Let’s go Islanders! Game 7. 

54 minutes ago, jsb said:

The 2nd coming?? St. Louis starts last season terrible, gets the ship turned around and takes the SC.

This year Dallas starts off terrible, gets its ship turned around and is presently in the WC Finals. Are they now the favorites??

Just shows how quickly teams can turn things around. How did the Flyers get this good? 

I did say professionally.

And Robin doesn’t care what I think.

“But Buffalo is not easy to play in. The media is incredibly hard. I’ve been in that negative spiral. I’ve been caught in it for a couple of years. It’s really tough and you start to lose perspective. I’ve moved on. I don’t care what anyone in Buffalo says anymore.

Maybe that negative spiral would have been easier to deal with without the pills and alcohol.

He quit on us. He can pound sand.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

“But Buffalo is not easy to play in. The media is incredibly hard. I’ve been in that negative spiral. I’ve been caught in it for a couple of years. It’s really tough and you start to lose perspective. I’ve moved on. I don’t care what anyone in Buffalo says anymore.

Maybe that negative spiral would have been easier to deal with without the pills and alcohol.

Do you deny what he said is true? I think what he said is true. The media and a large segment of the fan base is exactly what he described . Is there reason for negativity? Sure but that doesn't negate the truth of his comments.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

Do you deny what he said is true? I think what he said is true. The media and a large segment of the fan base is exactly what he described . Is there reason for negativity? Sure but that doesn't negate the truth of his comments.

Boo f’n hoo.

Win and give me a reason to be positive. That’s his job.

He also said that he played behind “arguably one of the worst defenses in the league” while he was here (we were top 10 in shots against his three years here).

Typical addict deflection BS. Never their fault.

What’s next? It’s my fault the Sabres suck because I keep supporting the team?

...I’ve grown to hate this time of year (NHL playoffs)...

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

The BUFFALO media are hard?  Really?  The pressure from the fans is apparently tough because we are so desperate for a championship.  The Buffalo sports press are only hard when you are Tim Connolly they are on a vendetta.

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The Isles are playing like the knights did last night, just incredible. 

Yea it’s awesome how a deep team (Isles) can make a rather average goalie (Griess) look good. Reminds me of how A deep Detroit team made Osgood look really really good. IMO I thought Osgood was rather average, maybe just above average, but the deep team in front of him made him look better to hockey fans than what he was. 

26 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'd be fine with this except he doesn't need to crap on Buffalo. His problems are his own and I'm not owning his personal life. He did what he did to screw it up and he did what he did to get better. There was no need to throw the organization under the bus as though he played absolutely no part in the atmosphere when he was here. Particularly given that it was the Sabres organization that got him help. Classless. I don't wish him I'll but he's not a jolly feel good either.

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/09/13/islanders-goalie-robin-lehner-opens-up-about-his-addiction-and-bipolar-diagnosis-i-could-not-stand-being-alone-in-my-brain/

Did he throw the organization under the bus though? I don't think so, they were "supportive" but also chose to "move on." The question that remains for the organization would be why did they not recognize there was a problem earlier and why didn't they deal with it? I'd suspect it's a failure of locker room leadership. Peers watching a team mate drink and abuse drugs, go through manic phases and nobody realizes this guy needs help and support? The guy is bipolar. It's a real mental issue, not just a lifestyle choice. Somebody should have picked up on something, but they didn't, hence saying the organization has no fault in this is incorrect imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Who here thinks Reaves should have gotten a game suspension? He did hit the head, but it was with the back of his shoulder and it looked like Motte dodged out of the way of a big hit that Reaves had already lined up. I don't think it was over Malicious, just going for the hit, as he has been all series. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.