Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

hatred or jealousy?

Tampa seemed flat. Bruins were the Bruins.

Canucks looked like they were satisfied with a one series win and ready to go home. 

You have to admire the Bruins and their team ethos. They have talent on all their lines but what distinguishes them is their relentless style of play.  Whether they are up or down their grinding style of play never leaves them. You have to give them credit for their collective team work ethic. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You have to admire the Bruins and their team ethos. They have talent on all their lines but what distinguished them is their relentless style of play.  Whether they are up and down their grinding style of play never leaves them. You have to give them credit for their collective team work ethic. 

The team Sabres fans love to hate but would love to have.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

You have to admire the Bruins and their team ethos. They have talent on all their lines but what distinguishes them is their relentless style of play.  Whether they are up or down their grinding style of play never leaves them. You have to give them credit for their collective team work ethic. 

You mean the 1998-9 Sabres with more talent?  Yup.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Carter Hart

2. Semyon Varlamov

3. Jaroslav Halak

4. Andrei Vasilevskiy

5. Anton Khudobin

6. Pavel Francouz 

7. Jacob Markstrom

8. Robin Lehner 

These are the remaining 8 starting goalies in the playoffs. How many were All-Stars / considered upper echelon this season?

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Exactly. That's what I was talking about in the Reinhart thread and regarding the ROR thing. Bruins create the culture, build around it, and find players that fit that culture. If you don't buy in you don't play and you get shipped out of town regardless of your talent level. If you do buy in you are embraced, defended, bonded with. It's all TEAM first and that is not Sabres culture and is imo a big part of our problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

1. Carter Hart

2. Semyon Varlamov

3. Jaroslav Halak

4. Andrei Vasilevskiy

5. Anton Khudobin

6. Pavel Francouz 

7. Jacob Markstrom

8. Robin Lehner 

These are the remaining 8 starting goalies in the playoffs. How many were All-Stars / considered upper echelon this season?

The better question is how many were Sabres who were traded away or let go for nothing?  Two.

That Halak trade STILL eats at me.

I understand why the Sabs wanted to move on from Lehner, but couldn't they have been the team that gave him a shot at rehab?  Did it have to be the Isles?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The Islanders are sooo good. And sooooooooooo boring! 

Come on, they've scored 3 goals in like 5 minutes!

I text my Islanders fan friend at 9:02 that this game is boring me to tears. They haven't stopped scoring since.

28 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Come on, they've scored 3 goals in like 5 minutes!

I text my Islanders fan friend at 9:02 that this game is boring me to tears. They haven't stopped scoring since.

When the other team EVENTUALLY activates the D to take chances, they capitalize. They are very good and very opportunist. 

Their offensive style is honestly not even that much of an issue, entertainment wise. It's how they play defence that's an insult to the viewing experience. All 5 guys stand in front of their net/goalie in a big pack, it reminds me of youth soccer. 

It's undisputedly wildly effective. 

Edited by Thorny

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly. That's what I was talking about in the Reinhart thread and regarding the ROR thing. Bruins create the culture, build around it, and find players that fit that culture. If you don't buy in you don't play and you get shipped out of town regardless of your talent level. If you do buy in you are embraced, defended, bonded with. It's all TEAM first and that is not Sabres culture and is imo a big part of our problem. 

For the most part our views coincide. One critical difference between the teams is that because the Sabre's talent pool is so much thinner than Boston's they can make personnel mistakes yet be better able to absorb those mistakes and move on. The ROR trade demonstrates the point how a Buffalo mistake can be so debilitating because of a limited roster . We are still trying to find a resolution to that damaging transaction.  Another attribute of Boston is that they have a team identity that embodies rugged two way play. And they are good at finding players that fit in with their identity. (Which you have noted.) If a player is not capable or unwilling to play that punishing style then that player is moved. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.