Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

7 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

Bye bye Capitals! 

Kinda sad as that leaves us with Tampa, Boston, the Isles and likely Philly as Eastern Conference candidates. 

Doesn’t leave me many teams to root for. I hate Boston, dislike Philly, and really not fond of Tampa. The Isles aren’t terrible but they have rather boring games.

As for the West, we have Vegas and Colorado, already through and neither are teams I like as one has barely existed and thus doesn’t deserve a Cup and the other somehow always got lucky with any draft pick they acquired and got to have an inadvertent tank year without any residual problems. Then we have Dallas who is both boring to watch and will always be undeserving until we win a Cup. Calgary which I actually like but want more trade possibilities. St. Louis is a huge no from me as I will always despise ROR having success regardless of if he forced his way out or not. And Vancouver just angers me because Quinn Hughes doing well only makes media and people alike talk down on Dahlin. Plus they make a risky trade and it worked out versus practically any risk we take explodes in our faces. 

I guess Isles vs Avs would be a weirdly interesting Final to me. As at least I don’t hate Compher or Zadorov.

Always good to see young players get a chance to learn and grow and experience the playoffs early. Huge for development, and when they rise to the challenge it's a sight to see. 

Would be nice to get some, ever. "Just making it" is bad, though, I'm told. 

Edited by Thorny

By the way, I've been hesitant to feel as strongly positive about Sean Monahan as some other posters. I think he's pretty bad off the puck. Calgary fans are describing the Johnny Gaudreau era as "wasted by Sean Monahan" right now, and are saying they "literally never want to see Sean in a Flames jersey again." 

If he does end up being a target of Adams, we are getting a player that's more flawed than most of us think. 

That said, if you find the right role (not 1C) and provide defensive insulation, he could be like Skinner was next to Jack - perfectly at home, while struggling so much outside of home. 

"Unfortunately, the player we won't see again is #13. Somehow they'll spin that line's lack of success on the winger. Never the center. He's immune to criticism."

"Never found a center for Gaudreau even with Bennett in the organization."

"My brother is screaming through the phone how pathetic Monahan is rn lol."

Yeesh

Acquiring Monahan would be a now-rare instance of us brininging in a guy and asking of him a role equal to his actual capabilities. Let alone, a guy who's played 1C being given a sweet spot 2C role behind one of the league's best centres. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"Unfortunately, the player we won't see again is #13. Somehow they'll spin that line's lack of success on the winger. Never the center. He's immune to criticism."

"Never found a center for Gaudreau even with Bennett in the organization."

"My brother is screaming through the phone how pathetic Monahan is rn lol."

Yeesh

I understand the argument more than the need to quote random fans. You can find comments just like this after any Sabres loss blaming Eichel. 

I'm not saying they aren't accurate in this case necessarily, they just hold zero weight. 

Edited by Thorny

"while i believe in gaudreau and people exagerrate how "poorly" gio performed i have no faith in monahan being anything but a one-dimensional goal scorer."

This one is from weeks ago, so it wasn't fueled by in-game emotion ^^

the core of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Brodie, Bennett, Lindholm, Backlund, Giordano, Andersson, and Mangiapane is very honestly top-end. And with players like Kylington, Valimaki, Rittich and Dube developing into core pieces, we've got a bright future.

Monahan's sort of that guy hurting our chances by being overplayed. He's a complimentary piece but by treating him as core we've tanked our chances

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Acquiring Monahan would be a now-rare instance of us brininging in a guy and asking of him a role equal to his actual capabilities. Let alone, a guy who's played 1C being given a sweet spot 2C role behind one of the league's best centres. 

I understand the argument more than the need to quote random fans. You can find comments just like this after any Sabres loss blaming Eichel. 

I'm not saying they aren't accurate in this case necessarily, they just hold zero weight. 

I've posted several quotes from off-days before the Dallas series even started. I haven't watched any Flames games this year, and a general tenor from a fanbase that has watched him years is valuable. I'm just trying to provide that tenor, and it's not pretty 

That being said, you're right that in the proper role he'd likely be just what we need. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.