Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

2 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Just to clarify ... we can say that the Maple Leafs missed the playoffs, right?

It's true. They're eligible for the lottery drawing and the best-of-seven format starts now. I say they missed out, as the league said would be the case back when the return to play was initiated. Now the playoffs are underway. This was just a mini midseason pre-postseason.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

It's a paradoxical cliche, but: all other things equal, offence can win games but defence can win championships.

Offense can win championships, too. But I think a super-tight defensive team has the better chance in these short series and the beginning of the restart. They can minimize and constrict. Some games were wide-open, sure. But overall the play-in and tune-up seeding games were slightly lower-scoring than the regular season. 

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

You can say that but I'm sure someone will argue with you.

Lost in "Qualifier" round = failed to qualify = missed.  Q.E.D.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's true. They're eligible for the lottery drawing and the best-of-seven format starts now. I say they missed out, as the league said would be the case back when the return to play was initiated. Now the playoffs are underway. This was just a mini midseason pre-postseason.

Yeah, not crazy about that possibility.  However, had the season ended normally with them out of the playoffs, they would have had a chance to jump up to #1, too.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Yeah, not crazy about that possibility.  However, had the season ended normally with them out of the playoffs, they would have had a chance to jump up to #1, too.

As is only right, per the current draft rules (miss out, get a tiny shot at the top pick).

Although, I guess Toronto doesn't have their 1st round pick this year -- traded for Marleau. So really, they didn't have a possible consolation prize to missing the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

As is only right, per the current draft rules (miss out, get a tiny shot at the top pick).

Although, I guess Toronto doesn't have their 1st round pick this year -- traded for Marleau. So really, they didn't have a possible consolation prize to missing the playoffs.

That pick is lottery protected, so they have a damn good chance at #1 overall.  I hate the fact Montreal, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Toronto are all in on this. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Offense can win championships, too. But I think a super-tight defensive team has the better chance in these short series and the beginning of the restart. They can minimize and constrict. Some games were wide-open, sure. But overall the play-in and tune-up seeding games were slightly lower-scoring than the regular season. 

Another interesting observation for all the puck possession preachers. Toronto dominated in puck possession, but Columbus backchecked their butts off and jumped on opportunities. In simple terms, they just worked harder. 

7 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

All the Sabres had to do was suck slightly less.

Well, they did have a 6.50% chance of picking 1st vs. 3.06% for the 8 remaining.  As I said before, it was holding the "first phase" of the draft lottery before the qualifier round was over that made it seem f'd up.   The whole thing all should have been done tomorrow.

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Philly might win the cup! 

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-stanley-cup-philadelphia-20200806.html

Fear the Flyers: They can win the Stanley Cup | Marcus Hayes

AP

We told you this five months ago, when the Flyers punked the Capitals in Washington on March 4: The Flyers were a contender. Somehow, it remains true all this time later, after lockdown, and re-training camp, and introduction to life in Toronto’s NHL bubble. Somehow, the Flyers are virtually the same team: physical, selfless, defense-minded, willing to sacrifice their bodies and their statistics for the greater good of winning.

They were all of those things in Thursday’s 3-1 win over the Capitals in which the Caps fired a season-low 17 shots.

Gotta say - I've really enjoyed the the qualifying play. Nothing beats playoff hockey. The RR lacked intensity but good to see nonetheless.

You've undoubtedly been awaiting my round 1 predictions. ?

Here they be:

Blue Jackets in 6

Flames in 6

Canes in 7 (please, please please)

Knights in 5

Islanders in 7

Avalanche in 5

Flyers in 6

Blues in 6

Who you got?

I'm rooting for teams I think there's trade possibilities with to lose early, so...

PHI-MTL: phi win

TBL-CBJ: cbj win

WSH-NYI: nyi win

BOS-CAR: car win

VGK-CHI: vgk win

COL-ARI:  col win

DAL-CGY: dal win

STL-VAN: stl win

Edited by Gabrielor

1 hour ago, Leaf Blower said:

Gotta say - I've really enjoyed the the qualifying play. Nothing beats playoff hockey. The RR lacked intensity but good to see nonetheless.

You've undoubtedly been awaiting my round 1 predictions. ?

Here they be:

Blue Jackets in 6

Flames in 6

Canes in 7 (please, please please)

Knights in 5

Islanders in 7

Avalanche in 5

Flyers in 6

Blues in 6

Who you got?

Knights in 5

Avalanche in 6

Stars in 6

Cannucks in 7

Flyers in 5

Blue Jackets in 7

Islanders in 7

Carolina in 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.