Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020 Thread

Andrew Amerk

17 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And BOGO. He scored on his own net.

McNabb plays for Vegas. Zadorov and Compher for Colorado.There are several ex Sabres in the playoffs. Some have been mentioned before.

Some day...☹️

Here's everyone (I could find in a quick scan) on the "return to hockey" rosters of each team. Plenty of decent players. If you make a lineup --- they're just like our roster going into last season: plenty of defensemen, but lacking goaltending depth, a legit 2C, and scoring threats on the wing.

AZ – Fasching,      BOS – does Halak count?       CBJ - Gerbe    CHI – Caggiula (honorary dev camp); Nylander;     COL – Compher; Zadorov     

DAL – Fedun, Sekera       EDM – Ennis; Kassian      FLA – Pysyk       MIN – Foligno      MTL – Armia; Byron      NYR – Lemieux      PHI – Grant      

PIT – Rodrigues, Sheary, Ruhwedel      STL – O’Reilly, Scandella      TB – Bogosian       VAN – Myers       VGK – Carrier, McNabb, Lehner    WPG - Beaulieu, Kulikov

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Here's everyone (I could find in a quick scan) on the "return to hockey" rosters of each team. Plenty of decent players. If you make a lineup --- they're just like our roster going into last season: plenty of defensemen, but lacking goaltending depth, a legit 2C, and scoring threats on the wing.

AZ – Fasching,      BOS – does Halak count?       CHI – Caggiula (honorary dev camp); Nylander;     COL – Compher; Zadorov      DAL – Fedun, Sekera

EDM – Ennis; Kassian      FLA – Pysyk       MIN – Foligno      MTL – Armia; Byron      NYR – Lemieux      PHI – Grant       PIT – Rodrigues, Sheary, Ruhwedel

STL – O’Reilly, Scandella      TB – Bogosian       VAN – Myers       VGK – Carrier, McNabb, Lehner

You forgot Gerbe.

Which would take care of the center situation.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

AZ – Fasching,      BOS – does Halak count?       CHI – Caggiula (honorary dev camp); Nylander;     COL – Compher; Zadorov      DAL – Fedun, Sekera

EDM – Ennis; Kassian      FLA – Pysyk       MIN – Foligno      MTL – Armia; Byron      NYR – Lemieux      PHI – Grant       PIT – Rodrigues, Sheary, Ruhwedel

STL – O’Reilly, Scandella      TB – Bogosian       VAN – Myers       VGK – Carrier, McNabb, Lehner

I was only speaking of the players who scored yesterday when i mentioned Sheary & Ennis... but yeah thats a lot of players. Thanks for doing the research... i guess you really could fill out a roster with all those guys haha.

I'm sure you could perform the same exercise with other teams too. But given how many years we've missed the playoffs, when I see all these ex Sabres in the post season i can't help but reflect on all the mistakes we've made & wish i were seeing Blue & Gold on the ice instead.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, Thorny said:

The Jets won a drawing for the second overall pick 

So, to you 2nd place is a win?

Drafting 1st would have been a win.

Which lottery did the Sabres win? 2018?

Anyway, didn't think the Jets had a snowball's chance but pulled it out with the 1C, 2C, Laine and Appleton out of the game. A really nice gutsy win. Lowry is beasting for us.

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Except the Carolina team that you are touting is also one of the few most analytics reliant teams in the league, so you are cutting the legs out from under your own argument.

Nope. They use them, but they also had a guy like Dudley there to go yes, that go, no not that guy.  You need a complete approach, not over reliance on one thing. If you look at the history of Dudley and things people have said about him over the years you'll see he had (has) an amazing ability to identify who has IT and who does not. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. They use them, but they also had a guy like Dudley there to go yes, that go, no not that guy.  You need a complete approach, not over reliance on one thing. If you look at the history of Dudley and things people have said about him over the years you'll see he had (has) an amazing ability to identify who has IT and who does not. 

Nope what?  Carolina IS one of the most analytics heavy teams.  By all accounts, Tulsky is the guy who runs the show there.  Dudley worked there for only 2 years, how many of their current players were even acquired in that timeframe?  Looks like 5-6?  And none of the amazingly talented youth that you referenced.  The main reasons that they have ascended the past couple seasons from perennial ok team, to great team is because Aho and Svechnikov have given them real firepower up front and their goaltending has been solid instead of disappointing. 

Before that Dudley held the same position in Montreal for 6 years, 2012-18.  Where is all the amazingly talented guys that were acquired while he was there?

Of course a balanced approach where all information is taken into account and weighed by smart, experienced people is probably going to yield the best results.  I agree there.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Even with sports gone over the last 4 months, I have not watched 1 second of the NHL since it returned. I think the Sabres really did me in this time. I wish they had just cancelled all sports until 2021 if there were not going to have fans.

My wife had the Leafs game on last night for a bit and honestly, watching the broadcast I didn't even notice that there were no fans there until they showed the seats. Otherwise the games on tv sound the same as they normally do.

12 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I just find it interesting it’s not among the cup finals highlights they show. 

It was deemed a legit goal, after all. 

I saw an overhead photo posted on the anniversary of the no-goal clearing showing him in the crease, but otherwise it's usually not shown unless they are specifically speaking about it.

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Fun having hockey back. 

I've tried a few games and just can't get into it.

Sat down to watch Winnipeg vs. Calgary the other night.  No fans, no Canadian play by play guy,  just Kenny Albert who I can't stand.

Doesn't feel right.  I thought the intensity/speed of the game was about normal, but this just isn't the hockey time of year.

Some of the matchups right now generate zero interest as well.  That doesn't help.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.