Sabres interested in Chayka?

dudacek

This comes out of left field.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/a-suddenly-interesting-john-chayka-timeline

Author seems to be speculating more than anything else, but the timing is interesting and the idea that someone tried to reach out to Chayka and the fact he was interested blew up his relationship with the Coyotes seems to fit.

It has been reported that the Sabres aren’t interested in a hockey president, and that the offer Chayka was approached with wasnt a GM’s job, I find it hard to believe a position as Kevyn Adams assistant would be more interesting than being an NHL GM anywhere and am unaware of any Adams/Chayka connection.

I wonder if @john wawrow is chasing this? 

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This comes out of left field.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/a-suddenly-interesting-john-chayka-timeline

Author seems to be speculating more than anything else, but the timing is interesting and the idea that someone tried to reach out to Chayka and the fact he was interested blew up his relationship with the Coyotes seems to fit.

It has been reported that the Sabres aren’t interested in a hockey president, and that the offer Chayka was approached with wasnt a GM’s job, I find it hard to believe a position as Kevyn Adams assistant would be more interesting than being an NHL GM anywhere and am unaware of any Adams/Chayka connection.

I wonder if @john wawrow is chasing this? 

They aren't interested. 

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I thought it was reported that he was leaving the Coyotes for a non-NHL position???  Did anyone else hear this?  Am I imagining it?  I assumed that he was going back to running his own company or something.

It’s a strange one where it lingered for a long time before either party made a statement.

Coyotes:

“John Chayka has quit as the General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Arizona Coyotes. The Club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL’s hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012. Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL.”

Chayka

“The past four years have been the most enjoyable of my life. In Arizona, I became a husband and a father, while working as hard as possible to make the Coyotes a Stanley Cup contender. I love our players, coaches, staff and fans and I very much wish I could be with the team in Edmonton. Sadly, the situation created by ownership made that an impossibility. That’s all I intend to say on this matter for now. A fuller, more detailed explanation may be necessary in the near future,” 

Edited by dudacek

Friedman’s report:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coyotes-owner-ask-bettman-adjudicate-split-chayka/

Approximately one month ago, Meruelo received a request from another NHL owner to speak to Chayka. Initially, the request was denied. (There’s been a lot of speculation about the Buffalo Sabres, but I’m also hearing rumblings about New Jersey, although the Devils have hired Tom Fitzgerald. Word is Chayka will take time away before making any further comment or commitment.) Understand that Meruelo — up until this saga unfolded — was an enormous Chayka fan. He believed in the GM’s vision, extending him through the 2023-24 season, making the Coyotes a cap team.

Eventually, Meruelo relented and allowed the conversation. This will be a critical part of the process. He will argue that he was lied to about what was to be discussed and that Chayka said he had no intention of leaving. What, if anything, is in writing?

From what I understand, a Godfather-esque “offer he couldn’t refuse” was made. Some sources indicated that it was not a lateral move, bigger than the current job Chayka was doing. It is believed that this involves an ownership group with teams in other leagues and Chayka could have involvement in those other teams.

It’s the last paragraph that screams Sabres, although Jersey’s ownership also owns multiple franchises.

His sister still runs Stathletes. There was discussion of her as an option to be added to the Sabres organization when Botterill was fired. Not rumor, but articles mention of her as an option. 

Edited by Lanny

I have no idea what is going on here, but it would be very Pegula to reverse direction suddenly after becoming enamoured by a “nice young man” with firm command of their “trend of the day” direction and make him a “Godfather-esque” offer, resulting in a huge corporate clusterf——.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

I thought it was reported that he was leaving the Coyotes for a non-NHL position???  Did anyone else hear this?  Am I imagining it?  I assumed that he was going back to running his own company or something.

I copied this from a Chicago Tribune article...

His relationship with new owner Alex Meruelo began to deteriorate when he asked for permission to pursue another, non-NHL opportunity. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s a strange one where it lingered for a long time before either party made a statement.

Coyotes:

“John Chayka has quit as the General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Arizona Coyotes. The Club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL’s hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012. Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL.”

Chayka

“The past four years have been the most enjoyable of my life. In Arizona, I became a husband and a father, while working as hard as possible to make the Coyotes a Stanley Cup contender. I love our players, coaches, staff and fans and I very much wish I could be with the team in Edmonton. Sadly, the situation created by ownership made that an impossibility. That’s all I intend to say on this matter for now. A fuller, more detailed explanation may be necessary in the near future,” 

Boy, both sides really doused the bridge in gasoline and blowtorched it.  Yeeeeeesssh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would hire Meghan Chayka but not her brother. Actually she would be a great hire the more I think on it. 

I thought I read somewhere that she just took a new job with an NHL team. Maybe I hallucinated it or something.

What has Chayka done in 4 years?  The team is worse for the wear under his 4 year tenure and they spend to the cap.  Dare I say they are in 2020 cap jail?   He has lost most of the trades they have made,  including the Hall deal.  He’s nothing better than JB, with the exception of his willingness, nay reliance on analytics in his decision making.  
  Let’s review:  Cap team, middling results, and loses trades - sounds like he has all the characteristics of a Pegula hire.  

p.s.   A bit of schadenfreude, but considering how Buffalo has been the poster boy for dysfunction, I’m taking comfort in this debacle.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I heard that too that the opening wasn't in the NHL, but I also heard them say that it wasn't another GM position

Just now, inkman said:

Another "hey I've heard of this guy" who has no ties or intentions of coming to Buffalo, widely speculated by people who know nothing, that he's coming to Buffalo.  Sigh.  

The offseason is going to be even worse this year around, seeing as it goes all the way to freaking December, and the draft isn't until October

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

I thought I read somewhere that she just took a new job with an NHL team. Maybe I hallucinated it or something.

I dont see that anywhere

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Another "hey I've heard of this guy" who has no ties or intentions of coming to Buffalo, widely speculated by people who know nothing, that he's coming to Buffalo.  Sigh.  

No one is speculating that or at least they shouldn't be. He isn't coming and we didn't ask. Further, I don't really want him. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

While I generally agree with this, this isn’t one of those situations.

A) He was the first person they wanted to interview after firing Murray

B) The only two franchises that fit the “rumor” are Buffalo and New Jersey.

All that being said, it was almost certainly New Jersey that considered him this time.

What I read somewhere is:

According to the Arizona Republic, “rumblings of a divide” between Chayka and the front office began earlier this week after he reportedly wasn’t invited to a dinner meeting with team owner Alex Meruelo and his son, team president and CEO Xavier Gutierrez and winger Taylor Hall. Chayka, per the report, learned of the meeting the next day — which was reportedly used to extend a contract offer to Hall, whose deal will expire at the end of the season.”

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I dont see that anywhere

No one is speculating that or at least they shouldn't be. He isn't coming and we didn't ask. Further, I don't really want him. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I dont see that anywhere

There are about 247 more I could post. It was everywhere. WITH NO GOOD ***** REASON.

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

What has Chayka done in 4 years?  The team is worse for the wear under his 4 year tenure and they spend to the cap.  Dare I say they are in 2020 cap jail?   He has lost most of the trades they have made,  including the Hall deal.  He’s nothing better than JB, with the exception of his willingness, nay reliance on analytics in his decision making.  
  Let’s review:  Cap team, middling results, and loses trades - sounds like he has all the characteristics of a Pegula hire.  

p.s.   A bit of schadenfreude, but considering how Buffalo has been the poster boy for dysfunction, I’m taking comfort in this debacle.  

He's acquired 2 top end goalies, something JB couldn't do. He has a team that probably would have made the playoffs last season where not for injuries. He's not great, but he's built a pretty solid team. He's got the guts to go after someone like Hall.  They're a good club in a difficult conference.  He also acquired some nice assets for picking up salary cap problems from other teams,  all but one contract is off the books.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.