Seattle Kraken

Brawndo

Per local radio, kraken created the most buzz on social media, despite the Sockeyes winning the Seattle Times poll. And from the introduction -- octopus is really the angle being played on kraken (so a Nordic kraken), not the Clash of the Titans titan kraken. This works with the very, very large Swedish population of Seattle's origins.

• Like (+1) 1

I think ultimately they played it safe and that's okay. The colors, the jersey, the name, the logos, are all fine. Not exceptionally good or bad. Just...fine.

I think they'll have fun with being called the Kraken, just like Vegas has fun with being the Knights.

Meh on non-plural names.

Double meh on using a lettermark as a primary logo.

Triple meh on doubling down on teal in the color combination, as it looks real roller hockey.  But at least it's an original mix.

Eh, ***** it.  Let 'em run with it and have fun with it.  If it sucks, their marketing department will pivot, it's fine.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Per local radio, kraken created the most buzz on social media, despite the Sockeyes winning the Seattle Times poll. And from the introduction -- octopus is really the angle being played on kraken (so a Nordic kraken), not the Clash of the Titans titan kraken. This works with the very, very large Swedish population of Seattle's origins.

See, I think an octopus logo in this color scheme could be cool as hell, instead of just the 'S.'  Jerseys could also use a tweak, but that's easy.

Also, for what it's worth, octopi are some of the coolest animals in the world. The octopus in the Seattle Aquarium used to escape, get into the main tank, and attack the sharks. They're pretty sweet. And if octopi took down Galloping Gertie (not true, it was wind and design) --- that's pretty nice. And they make gardens!

Note: the S logo is the homage to the Seattle Metropolitans.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with others - I really like the anchor and think it would make for a great primary logo, but I get the "S" tribute to the original team.  I don't love the name - I like the story behind it, but it just sounds silly.  Overall, I think they did a pretty good job.

For fun... or torture, compare this launch to what we got for the 50th anniversary of our team. One was a professionally handled well planned out event that is currently ongoing. The other was a hodgepodge of screw ups with no overall concept (concept should have been easy) all while looking like the most incompetent team in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

For fun... or torture, compare this launch to what we got for the 50th anniversary of our team. One was a professionally handled well planned out event that is currently ongoing. The other was a hodgepodge of screw ups with no overall concept (concept should have been easy) all while looking like the most incompetent team in the league. 

We got the objectively better jersey, and already had the better logo and name, though.  And that counts for a lot.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

We got the objectively better jersey, and already had the better logo and name, though.  And that counts for a lot.

Right, that's the hard part. Even then, they had a logo and name to go off of; the jersey is way better and they nailed that but that's it. The easy part should be the media coordination and unveiling aspect of it

8 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Wasnt there an old player that had the name on his Jersey spelled wrong.

One thing awesome about the kraken. they are one of the few teams in all sports that dont end in an S

Edited by miles

So, because they couldn't decide on which shoulder patch to dump, they decided to make 1 the primary logo?  Bold choice there, Cotton.

But personally, would've done the Swamp Cats dueling shoulder logos & used a real primary logo as, ya know, the primary logo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.