2C and 3C for 20-21

sweetlou

There are several boards that talk about the idea but I wanted to start one specifically to get responses on what players fans would want to see in these two roles next year.

In your response of player wanted for position, what would Buffalo have to give up to obtain said player?

2C options-

Sean Monahan, Max Domi, Tomas Hertl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Kyle Turris, Brock Nelson, Anthony Cirelli, Eric Stall, Adam Henrique, Ryan Johansen

3C options-

Nick Bonino, Adam Gaudette, Derrick Brassard, Andrew Copp, Derek Ryan, Chris Tierney, Radek Faska

45 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

There are several boards that talk about the idea but I wanted to start one specifically to get responses on what players fans would want to see in these two roles next year.

In your response of player wanted for position, what would Buffalo have to give up to obtain said player?

2C options-

Sean Monahan, Max Domi, Tomas Hertl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Kyle Turris, Brock Nelson, Anthony Cirelli, Eric Stall, Adam Henrique, Ryan Johansen

3C options-

Nick Bonino, Adam Gaudette, Derrick Brassard, Andrew Copp, Derek Ryan, Chris Tierney, Radek Faska

Yes.

Not to knit pick but I don’t see Turris as a 2C. Corelli has been talked about a lot here but what does it take to get him? At some point the Sabres need to give something to get something, preferably of equal to greater value as opposed to the you know what trade. I like Bonino at 3C. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is Monahan a legit option? I see his name mentioned a lot but don’t see why he would be traded. Is it a cap issue? I would trade for him in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Kr632
Didn’t see that you already asked what it would take to get those players

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How many of these options are UFA's?  Keep in mind, if Larry walks because of expensive salary demands, the Sabres could be looking for a 2C, 3C, AND 4C.

We're *****ed.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How many of these options are UFA's?  Keep in mind, if Larry walks because of expensive salary demands, the Sabres could be looking for a 2C, 3C, AND 4C.

If we burn our ample cap on RFA, or nab Taylor Hall in UFA, we could easily be looking at 2020-21 of: Asplund, Kahun, Lazar (with Cozens on a wing his rookie year and Johansson back to wing). If there's a season, that is.

ok since no one has followed directions, I'll give my opinion...

2c- Max Domi, I feel Sabres could get him for 2020 2nd rd pick and maybe B prospect like Pekar

3c- Andrew Copp,  could be part of a package to send them either Risto or Montour

4c- Lazar fill this role as Larrson demands too much for 4th liner

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, out of 2 very respected posters here we have 1 in favour of Brassard and 1 who has him as the only possiblility scratched off from the 3C list.

What would I do?  I just don't know.

Not in favor of Brassard, by save I mean "besides these two"

I know Hertl blew up a knee or whatever but damn he and Samson would be amazing together

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

ok since no one has followed directions, I'll give my opinion...

2c- Max Domi, I feel Sabres could get him for 2020 2nd rd pick and maybe B prospect like Pekar

3c- Andrew Copp,  could be part of a package to send them either Risto or Montour

4c- Lazar fill this role as Larrson demands too much for 4th liner

Why do you think Domi is available for a second?

Montreal has picks and prospects coming out their behinds and they aren’t in a cap crunch. I can see Domi not fitting into their plans at the salary he might want, but don’t you think they’d hold out for something better?

If we’ve already got our 2C without trading Risto, I’m certainly up for a Montour in exchange for Copp and a sweetener.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kr632 said:

Is Monahan a legit option? I see his name mentioned a lot but don’t see why he would be traded. Is it a cap issue? I would trade for him in a heartbeat. 

I do know that Jbotts was having discussions with Calgary about Monahan last year. Whether he is still on the table is yet to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I do know that Jbotts was having discussions with Calgary about Monahan last year. Whether he is still on the table is yet to be seen.

I think Calgary will decide where to go based on their playoff.

Remember 2010? They are questioning whether they can win with their core.

Also, many think Gaudreau is gone in two years, when he hits UFA.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I only want Monahan if we can build two rock solid defensive lines below Eich and Sean 

Like, keep Larry and add Copp or Bonino or something

You’ll remember the days of Ville Leino, Evan Rodrigues, Luke Adam, Mikael Grigorenko, Casey Mittelstadt, Cody Hodgson, Torrey Mitchell, Patrick  Berglund, Marcus Johansson and Bryan Flynn, and you will take Sean Monahan, AND YOU WILL SMILE!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’ll remember the days of Ville Leino, Evan Rodrigues, Luke Adam, Mikael Grigorenko, Casey Mittelstadt, Cody Hodgson, Torrey Mitchell, Patrick  Berglund, Marcus Johansson and Bryan Flynn, and you will take Sean Monahan, AND YOU WILL SMILE!

His reputation/value versus overall impact would mean giving up a lot of stuff and still having critical problems in the forward corps....UNLESS we build two rock solid defensive lines 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

His reputation/value versus overall impact would mean giving up a lot of stuff and still having critical problems in the forward corps....UNLESS we build two rock solid defensive lines 

I think you are underestimating how good of a two-way forward our 1C might become.

I agree with you about Monahan not being as good as his rep, but he is also capable of being a 2C on a Stanley Cup winning team behind Jack. And GMs trade based on their own valuations, not that of HFBoards.

Dont let great be the enemy of good.

(You will SMILE! ?)

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think if we could add a 2RW in free agency (toffoli?), We could build a solid team with Monahan. 

What about Risto, mitts, and a 2nd (hell for Monahan, I'd send a top 10 protected first instead)

Lines look something like this:

Skinner-Eichel-Tofolli

Oloffson-Monahan-Reinhart

Johansson-Cozens-Kahun

Xxx-Lazar-xxx

Dahlin-Joki

McCabe-Montour

Xxx-Miller

Goalie would still be a problem, and I don't know if that would fit under the cap, but that is a good roster (dependant on reasonable players filling the xxx). Those top 3 lines are playoff calibre.

• Like (+1) 2

If the Sabres added Sean Monahan, there is almost nothing that would dampen my immediate spirits. 

But if the Sabres add Monahan, there is a massive pile of assets missing. We are likely not making picks in our next draft, or missing a lot of them and Reinhart, something like that. And Monahan is genuinely flawed such that a large portion of our other forward moves need to be cognizant of it. We can win games and be dangerous, but we could also quite easily max out in a way comparable to Toronto since 2016

He can be an offensive passenger a la Skinner, struggling to create much of anything on his own with worse defensive abilities at a more important defensive position, when things aren't going well

Again, I'd be too happy to care in the moment, but they'd need to be careful and smart with their other moves, with a severely diminished asset pool, is all

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I want a 2C who can be a 3C in a year when Cozens is ready.

There is zero point in spending all of our available assets to get Sean Monahan, when Dylan Cozens will make him expendable in a year.

Also...why aren't people worrying about the defense? It's bad. It needs to be drastically changed. Everything after Dahlin is garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.