Jays to play in Buffalo?

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Hotels must be ecstatic. That said, Buffalo will now have large groups of people from all over the US. To think they won’t be breaking quarantine would be naive. Shock Cuomo allowed this actually. 

MLB testing must be up to Cuomo standards even if wings aren't. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

MLB testing must be up to Cuomo standards even if wings aren't. 

And just think, Maryland and Pennsylvania rejected these games due to increased transmission risk. 

Forgot Canada too. 

Edited by kas23

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Disagree, you now have a pro sports team staying in Buffalo hotels and eating Buffalo food. I think every little bit of that will help. 

I didn't say there was no benefit.  There is little benefit.  Groundskeepers get paid, too, I get it.

I don't feel that the reward outweighs the risk here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I didn't say there was no benefit.  There is little benefit.  Groundskeepers get paid, too, I get it.

I don't feel that the reward outweighs the risk here.

Oh, I understand what you are saying now. Hard to say but let's hope everything is okay. 

Buffalo gets a bit of a financial boost.   The ball park gets a few upgrades courtesy of the Jays.  There are some jobs and positive economic impact.   The down side is teams coming here with possible Covid Exposure - same risk as the NFL Teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So, do I understand this correctly? The entire Jays team can go play games in Florida, then fly to Buffalo and play games there without a 14-day quarantine?

But if I fly there today and come back tomorrow, I’d have to quarantine?

They’re “essential workers”. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Many "essential workers" travel and then have to quarantine. They had better be strict about isolation.

It was a joke. They aren’t essential workers. It’s going to be a free for all. I’m sure this comes down to money. It always does. 

Edited by kas23

16 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah I'm going to become an essential worker in 5 weeks because people need school to be their babysitter.  All that fake teacher love we got in April is going to show itself now. Nobody is going to give a damn if a bunch of us die, God forbid the economy not reopen the way we want it to. All I know is when I signed up for this gig a long time ago death wasn't on the table and now it is between school shootings and covid and everything else. It's not worth the half assed salary and bs I get for it. I like many of my coworkers are plenty qualified to do other things and make more money doing it 

It's worse than you think:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/23/child-care-crisis-pandemic-economy-impact-women-380412

49 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

There is a lot of doom and gloom in that article.  On par with much of today’s internet journalism.  The rapid development of a vaccine would eliminate all of these long term concerns - Of course that’s easier said than done.

What I tell my kids that are now in theIr “raising families years” is that it may take sacrifice like they have not seen before, dropping to one income, and supplementing one income with part time work.   Whatever happens investing in the children is investing in our future.  I am adjusting my retirement plan accordingly and looking at estate planning in a new ways.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

it's actually a huge get for the city.

You have to explain this to me.

If they stay in their bubbles, there is virtually no commercial benefit aside from some food and the teams in the bubbles.

If there is a significant commercial benefit, then it will come from the teams ignoring their bubbles.  Then we get to be a COVID-19 hot spot for a few months again.

Is this trade worth it?  It's high-risk, low reward.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah I'm going to become an essential worker in 5 weeks because people need school to be their babysitter.  All that fake teacher love we got in April is going to show itself now. Nobody is going to give a damn if a bunch of us die, God forbid the economy not reopen the way we want it to. All I know is when I signed up for this gig a long time ago death wasn't on the table and now it is between school shootings and covid and everything else. It's not worth the half assed salary and bs I get for it. I like many of my coworkers are plenty qualified to do other things and make more money doing it 

One might wonder why you don't go do just that.  Also, your post has nothing to do with the Blue Jays in Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You have to explain this to me.

If they stay in their bubbles, there is virtually no commercial benefit aside from some food and the teams in the bubbles.

If there is a significant commercial benefit, then it will come from the teams ignoring their bubbles.  Then we get to be a COVID-19 hot spot for a few months again.

Is this trade worth it?  It's high-risk, low reward.

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Specifically how do you think it is?

Well first off it's a big get for Sahlens hot dogs. They will be named and associated with a major league ball park for 25 dates plus playoffs, all for the price of a minor league ball park.

There will be two hotels filled with players and staff. There will be restaurants catering clubhouses. The ballpark will be upgraded on the Jays dime, I'm really having trouble seeing the downside.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.