All 24 teams now considered qualified for playoffs

Crusader1969

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

Because they did just a little better, on average, in their games.  Yes, it's arbitrary, but when you look at the fringe teams, the cutoff is always arbitrary.  There are normally 16 total (8 per conference) because 2^3 = 8, not because there's (necessarily) a real distinction.  Here, they said that not finishing the season meant that there was some uncertainty left, so they added a round to settle things at the (expanded) fringe.  They could have included more, but they also could have included fewer.  Having half of the 8 locked in and then the other half get picked from a group of 8 in an extra round is reasonable.

I just feel like they should’ve went with all teams, or only the top 8 from each conference. 

They just wanted the extra big markets for $$$ and this was the excuse. 

33 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I just feel like they should’ve went with all teams, or only the top 8 from each conference. 

They just wanted the extra big markets for $$$ and this was the excuse. 

Does a business need an excuse to try to make money?

I seriously am surprised that some people feel like Buffalo got screwed out of the playoffs.  They were in 25th place in a 31 team league.  They sure didn’t earn it.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I seriously am surprised that some people feel like Buffalo got screwed out of the playoffs.  They were in 25th place in a 31 team league.  They sure didn’t earn it.

I'm with you. The Sabres had an extended home stand at the end of the season against a number of below average teams. In that sequence of games in their home arena their record was mediocre. There was also a western four game road trip where they did play well but came away with zero points. They had opportunities to get back into the race but failed miserably. No more lame excuses!

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Curt said:

Does a business need an excuse to try to make money?

I don’t feel like they got screwed out of the playoffs. I just think the league should’ve went with either all teams, or the top 8 from each side. 

Id still have this opinion even if the Sabres were the 24th team. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I don’t feel like they got screwed out of the playoffs. I just think the league should’ve went with either all teams, or the top 8 from each side. 

Id still have this opinion even if the Sabres were the 24th team. 

Fair enough.  Personally, it doesn’t bother me.

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Fair enough.  Personally, it doesn’t bother me.

I just think they should’ve picked their poison.

Either you want to try and maximize protecting the players health (which means less teams, not more), or you are trying to maximize profits (which means all teams in - fans of Detroit and Buffalo are going to tune in even knowing their teams have no realistic shot).

Edited by Andrew Amerk

• 2 weeks later...

Is Gary Bettman one of the best commissioners the NHL has ever seen? Not even kidding. They just got the new CBA done when many said trouble was brewing and, knocking on wood, their return to play plan has thus far been impressive. 

Hockey has also gained in popularity in the USA quite notably since his reign began, if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Is Gary Bettman one of the best commissioners the NHL has ever seen? Not even kidding. They just got the new CBA done when many said trouble was brewing and, knocking on wood, their return to play plan has thus far been impressive. 

Hockey has also gained in popularity in the USA quite notably since his reign began, if I'm not mistaken. 

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

First ballot hall-of-farmer, even before he retires.

Why was he at the Zamboni door talking to an on ice official in Dallas? Once he answers that question to my liking, he can go in.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Why was he at the Zamboni door talking to an on ice official in Dallas? Once he answers that question to my liking, he can go in.

He was asking the referee if he knew what was the best spot in town to get wings to go. The ref recommended Duffs. 

Duh. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.