All 24 teams now considered qualified for playoffs

Crusader1969

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think if the league wanted to hold a Covid Cup, everyone should’ve been included, in fairness. 

I’m just participating in this discussion cuz I think a loser bowl would be fun. I honestly don’t care one bit about fairness or anything about this whole thing in regards to a playoff. The rules have always been arbitrary. WGAF?!

And ***** the Sabres. Just be good, then you don’t have to worry about some stupid threshold that you didn’t meet once again.

Does fair even factor in when you’re talking about not making a 24 out of 31 team playoff?! Good Christ.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m just participating in this discussion cuz I think a loser bowl would be fun. I honestly don’t care one bit about fairness or anything about this whole thing in regards to a playoff. The rules have always been arbitrary. WGAF?!

And ***** the Sabres. Just be good, then you don’t have to worry about some stupid threshold that you didn’t meet once again.

Does fair even factor in when you’re talking about not making a 24 out of 31 team playoff?! Good Christ.

I agree that a Toilet Bowl would’ve been fun. 

I also don’t see the difference between letting 24 or 31 teams compete for the Covid Cup. What’s the damn difference. 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I also don’t see the difference between letting 24 or 31 teams compete for the Covid Cup. What’s the damn difference. 

Exactly. So, who cares if it’s only 24.

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Exactly. So, who cares if it’s only 24.

Probably fans of the 7 teams that didn’t make that cut, despite other teams arbitrarily getting in. 

Why does MTL deserve a shot any more than the Sabres do? Because they had 71 points in 71 games and Buffalo had 68 points in 69 games? Seems arbitrary. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

10 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Probably fans of the 7 teams that didn’t make that cut, despite other teams arbitrarily getting in. 

Why does MTL deserve a shot any more than the Sabres do?

That’s me, and I don’t.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That’s me, and I don’t.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d like to see how Eichel does in a “playoffs” situation. 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

And the more I think about it, is 24 really that arbitrary?

Maybe. 16 teams, 24 teams, all 31. Whats the difference. 

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d like to see how Eichel does in a “playoffs” situation. 

Maybe. 16 teams, 24 teams, all 31. Whats the difference. 

How do you have a play in with an odd number of teams?

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Can't say obviously but 1 line hockey teams never go far in the post season no matter how good that 1 line is.

All I can say about the playoffs is please hockey gods just don't let Bogo win the cup and star for Tampa. I can't take another year of that (like ROR).  

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Here's my hypothetical.... what does the NHL do if Montreal ends up having 9+ players catch it?

Good question.  Guess is 50/50 for 1 of 2 scenarios:

1.  They shut it all down due to fear of it spreading throughout the rest of the teams playing in that hub city.

2.  They make 'em do what Anaheim did when the flu ravaged their dressing room: call up players from the farm & deal with it.

Which course they choose will likely depend on which scenario do they see themselves losing more money.  (Guess is they run w/ scenario 2, but could easily see them go with scenario 1.)

don't look now but suddenly Edmonton and Alberta have a outbreak of COVID 19 over the weekend...they opened too soon and here comes the dreaded 2nd wave. I really cannot see the  NHL playing this year...and it really seems pretty odd the way they did it that Montreal gets in when they somehow found a way to lose to Detroit all 4 times they played! Detroit only won 17 games total yet they beat Montreal all 4 times??? And MOntreal get rewarded by a) making the playoffs and b) get a shot at 1st overall pick...strange how the NHL does things

and look on the bright side Frolik apparently is headed off to the KHL (they say he actually has a offer)_that frees up much needed cap space (over 4 mil I think he was getting)

Edited by Sabre fan

3 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

don't look now but suddenly Edmonton and Alberta have a outbreak of COVID 19 over the weekend...they opened too soon and here comes the dreaded 2nd wave. I really cannot see the  NHL playing this year...and it really seems pretty odd the way they did it that Montreal gets in when they somehow found a way to lose to Detroit all 4 times they played! Detroit only won 17 games total yet they beat Montreal all 4 times??? And MOntreal get rewarded by a) making the playoffs and b) get a shot at 1st overall pick...strange how the NHL does things

and look on the bright side Frolik apparently is headed off to the KHL (they say he actually has a offer)_that frees up much needed cap space (over 4 mil I think he was getting

How does Frolik going to the KHL give us cap space, after our season is already over?

18 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

How does Frolik going to the KHL give us cap space, after our season is already over?

This raises an interesting question: how long do our UFAs remain Sabres?

In a normal, season he would have been free to play anywhere effective July 1, but the new CBA effectively extended that, no?

On 7/13/2020 at 11:59 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

Why does MTL deserve a shot any more than the Sabres do? Because they had 71 points in 71 games and Buffalo had 68 points in 69 games? Seems arbitrary. 

Especially when you consider Buf was to play MTL the day the league was suspended.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, dudacek said:

There is a memo out that the play-ins will count as playoffs for statistical purposes.
To me that means every goal Sid scores against Montreal will count toward his all-time playoff scoring totals.

Others are reading more into it.

So I guess the round robin player points will also be considered playoff points?

On 7/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Curt said:

Like I said, it’s the NHL, things don’t need to make sense.

It actually does make sense to me all the player points to come this year count as playoff tallies, or the scoring leaders list would be pretty imbalanced with players from the 7 teams that missed playing significantly fewer games. 

I like Jack being in the Top 10 - he earned it. 

On 7/11/2020 at 8:55 PM, Crusader1969 said:

If it wasn’t for Hutton it would have been over this year.  I still think they can be a very good team in e near future.  Missing 2 pieces. A 2nd goalie and a 2C.  

It wouldn’t REALLY have been over, though. A healthy Hutton would not have been close to bridging the gap to top 8 in the East, even if we’d have made this 24 team format. 

On 7/14/2020 at 7:49 AM, Taro T said:

Good question.  Guess is 50/50 for 1 of 2 scenarios:

1.  They shut it all down due to fear of it spreading throughout the rest of the teams playing in that hub city.

2.  They make 'em do what Anaheim did when the flu ravaged their dressing room: call up players from the farm & deal with it.

Which course they choose will likely depend on which scenario do they see themselves losing more money.  (Guess is they run w/ scenario 2, but could easily see them go with scenario 1.)

Toronto and Edmonton the hub cities, no?

On 7/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, Crusader1969 said:

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

2) 7 non qualifying teams and somehow the Sabres are drafting 8th??!!

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

did it with MLB in 1994 and I’ve never looked back  

Hooooooold on, if you feel like letting goooooo ?

Seriously, don't give up on it all, we like having you around.

You are our caped Crusader, after all..

IMG_7740.GIF

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

So I guess the round robin player points will also be considered playoff points?

It actually does make sense to me all the player points to come this year count as playoff tallies, or the scoring leaders list would be pretty imbalanced with players from the 7 teams that missed playing significantly fewer games. 

I like Jack being in the Top 10 - he earned it. 

It wouldn’t REALLY have been over, though. A healthy Hutton would not have been close to bridging the gap to top 8 in the East, even if we’d have made this 24 team format. 

we dont know that for sure.. he did go something like 1-11-3.....even decent goaltending and they earn 7 or 8 more points in that time frame, would put them in the "hunt" 

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Hooooooold on, if you feel like letting goooooo ?

Seriously, don't give up on it all, we like having you around.

You are our caped Crusader, after all..

IMG_7740.GIF

Thanks! its not giving up on the Sabres..been a fan of them and the Bills since 1975 or so - losing isnt driving me away, I can obviously handle the losing!  the league though.....

I hope the Buffalo market stays away from watching the Covid Playoffs.... NBC relies on their market (biggest non playing market in US by far), maybe the league won't be so quick to screw them over in the future!

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

we dont know that for sure.. he did go something like 1-11-3.....even decent goaltending and they earn 7 or 8 more points in that time frame, would put them in the "hunt" 

Considering the WAR of the BEST goalie in the league last season, it’s exceptionally unlikely. 

8th in East was projecting to be 14 points better than us. A healthy Hutton does not bridge that gap. 

Edited by Thorny

On 7/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

I mean... if you already had the answer, why'd you ask the question?  ?

Because they did just a little better, on average, in their games.  Yes, it's arbitrary, but when you look at the fringe teams, the cutoff is always arbitrary.  There are normally 16 total (8 per conference) because 2^3 = 8, not because there's (necessarily) a real distinction.  Here, they said that not finishing the season meant that there was some uncertainty left, so they added a round to settle things at the (expanded) fringe.  They could have included more, but they also could have included fewer.  Having half of the 8 locked in and then the other half get picked from a group of 8 in an extra round is reasonable.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.