All 24 teams now considered qualified for playoffs

Crusader1969

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

2) 7 non qualifying teams and somehow the Sabres are drafting 8th??!!

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

did it with MLB in 1994 and I’ve never looked back  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

Oh no you don't! You don't get to walk away. You especially! You're the one who has been saying for the past decade that all we have to do is lose for a few more seasons, get a few more draft picks and then we'll contend. Well now you can reap it. You're stuck here with everyone else.

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

what a joke 

Where did you see that all 24 are officially considered as having made the playoffs?  This is important because there are trade conditions that depend upon this.  I didn’t think there had been an official ruling.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

Where did you see that all 24 are officially considered as having made the playoffs?  This is important because there are trade conditions that depend upon this.  I didn’t think there had been an official ruling.

There is a memo out that the play-ins will count as playoffs for statistical purposes.
To me that means every goal Sid scores against Montreal will count toward his all-time playoff scoring totals.

Others are reading more into it.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is a memo out that the play-ins will count as playoffs for statistical purposes.
To me that means every goal Sid scores against Montreal will count toward his all-time playoff scoring totals.

Others are reading more into it.

Right.  It said that a players stats in the play-in games would count towards their career playoff stats, as opposed to regular season.  That’s all.  It does not say that all 24 teams are officially counted as making the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Right.  It said that a players stats in the play-in games would count towards their career playoff stats, as opposed to regular season.  That’s all.  It does not say that all 24 teams are officially counted as making the playoffs.

If players play games in the qualifying round, and they get counted in their stats as playoff games played...then they are playing in playoff games. ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If players play games in the qualifying round, and they get counted in their stats as playoff games played...then they are playing in playoff games. ?‍♂️

But does it count as making the playoffs for the purposes of conditional draft picks?

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

But does it count as making the playoffs for the purposes of conditional draft picks?

It should, due to what I stated. The 8 additional teams are now playoff teams - unless those 8 teams are somehow exempt from winning the Cup, which they aren’t. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It should, due to what I stated. The 8 additional teams are now playoff teams - unless those 8 teams are somehow exempt from winning the Cup, which they aren’t. 

I hear the logic of where you are coming from, but I bet that in the end, the 8 teams who lose in the play-in round, do not end up being classified as playoff teams.

Otherwise, why call it a play-in round, as opposed to round 1?  And teams who have conditional draft picks made the trades based on a 16 team playoff, not 24.

I the end, I think only the remaining 16 teams will be considered playoff teams.  It’s the NHL and it’s a pandemic.  It doesn’t need to make perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I hear the logic of where you are coming from, but I bet that in the end, the 8 teams who lose in the play-in round, do not end up being classified as playoff teams.

Otherwise, why call it a play-in round, as opposed to round 1?  And teams who have conditional draft picks made the trades based on a 16 team playoff, not 24.

I the end, I think only the remaining 16 teams will be considered playoff teams.  It’s the NHL and it’s a pandemic.  It doesn’t need to make perfect sense.

That’s fine. Then any points scored in the play-in round are not playoff points. They are play-in points, and in a separate category. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Yeah, a shot at winning the Cup or the 1st overall pick.

It’s hard to please everyone but the lottery should have been for the 7 non playoff teams only.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ubkev said:

Oh no you don't! You don't get to walk away. You especially! You're the one who has been saying for the past decade that all we have to do is lose for a few more seasons, get a few more draft picks and then we'll contend. Well now you can reap it. You're stuck here with everyone else.

Yep. We’d be much better off if we didn’t have all these 8th overall picks. 
seems to me , the their best players are picked at 1 and 2.   
So you will never will get me to change that stance 

it’s not the Sabres losing driving me away it’s the league itself. 

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yep. We’d be much better off if we didn’t have all these 8th overall picks. 
seems to me , the their best players are picked at 1 and 2.   
So you will never will get me to change that stance 

At least stick around for us to break the record. Only 2 more seasons. You can do it!

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, a shot at winning the Cup or the 1st overall pick.

It’s hard to please everyone but the lottery should have been for the 7 non playoff teams only.

I don't understand this train of thought. Eight of those teams would have been in the lottery anyhoo if the season was completed. We just don't know which of them that would've been. They still could've won the lottery.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ok.  I’ll bite.   What record ? 

The Buffalo Sabres have the longest active playoff appearance drought (9 seasons). The longest playoff droughts in history were by the Panthers and Edmonton Oilers at 10 seasons, which ended in 2012 and 2017 respectively.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The Buffalo Sabres have the longest active playoff appearance drought (9 seasons). The longest playoff droughts in history were by the Panthers and Edmonton Oilers at 10 seasons, which ended in 2012 and 2017 respectively.

If it wasn’t for Hutton it would have been over this year.  I still think they can be a very good team in e near future.  Missing 2 pieces. A 2nd goalie and a 2C.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I hear you and agree 100%. 

A bunch of 1%ers got together to figure out how to maximize profit. We, the fan, should sip the soup and call it a meal. 

I’ve been following the AHL for years now. Good hockey without the need to hold my pinkie out whilst watching.

12 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don't understand this train of thought. Right of those teams would have been in the lottery anyhoo if the season was completed. We just don't know which of them that would've been. They still could've won the lottery.

Agreed.  As I've said before, since the season wasn't actually done, instead of separating it into "made it" and "missed it" teams, they separated them into "would have almost surely made it", "would have almost surely missed it" and "not sure whether they would have made it or not" teams.  The last group included the teams that would have been the lowest teams to make the playoffs and the highest teams to miss them (and be in the lottery).  Those teams are playing one shortened (best of 5) series to determine which is which.  The winners take the remaining 8 playoffs spots and the losers take the remaining 8 lottery spots.

The only problem (to me) with it is that they ran the lottery before the play-in round, so that when the unlikely event (24.4% chance of a team 8th or higher getting the #1 pick) actually happened, it felt much worse.  If they had just finished the play-in rounds, slotted the losers into the last 8 lottery slots and then held the lottery, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.  Those teams would have not been in the official playoffs when the lottery winners were decided.

Note: I would also have preferred re-seeding the 8 losers based on regular season point %, worst-to-best to slot into the 8th-worst to 15th-worst slots.  As it sits, now, if a good regular-season team has a bad round, they will get the same 1/8 shot as the other 7 losers, instead of lower chance, as would normally happen in the lottery.  Even if the play-in round goes as expected, except Toronto loses to Columbus (they are seated higher based on a tiebreaker), then the Maple Leafs will have the same 12.5% chance of picking #1 as Montreal.  With the re-seeding, whichever team was seeded 12th would have gotten it, or better yet, if they hadn't already run the lottery , Toronto would instead have had a 1% chance overall of getting the #1 and even conditional on someone in 8-15 getting it, a 4% chance (vs. Montreal's 24.5% chance) of getting the #1.  An even worse scenario is if a team like Pittsburgh has a bad round.  In essence, they gave each team in 8-15 an equal 3.1% chance overall of getting #1, rather than 6% down to 1% based on regular season performance.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.