Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Crusader1969

All 24 teams now considered qualified for playoffs

Recommended Posts

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

2) 7 non qualifying teams and somehow the Sabres are drafting 8th??!!

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

did it with MLB in 1994 and I’ve never looked back  

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

2) 7 non qualifying teams and somehow the Sabres are drafting 8th??!!

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

did it with MLB in 1994 and I’ve never looked back  

 

 

Oh no you don't! You don't get to walk away. You especially! You're the one who has been saying for the past decade that all we have to do is lose for a few more seasons, get a few more draft picks and then we'll contend. Well now you can reap it. You're stuck here with everyone else.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

So now the team who gets pick #1 would have literally qualified for the playoffs 

what a joke 

1) the Sabres vs Canadians should have had to play that 1 game vs each other to decide who got the 12th spot 

2) 7 non qualifying teams and somehow the Sabres are drafting 8th??!!

I’ll definitely not watch a minute of the covid playoffs    Very close to just walking away from the sport for good  

did it with MLB in 1994 and I’ve never looked back  

Where did you see that all 24 are officially considered as having made the playoffs?  This is important because there are trade conditions that depend upon this.  I didn’t think there had been an official ruling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Curt said:

Where did you see that all 24 are officially considered as having made the playoffs?  This is important because there are trade conditions that depend upon this.  I didn’t think there had been an official ruling.

There is a memo out that the play-ins will count as playoffs for statistical purposes.
To me that means every goal Sid scores against Montreal will count toward his all-time playoff scoring totals.

Others are reading more into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is a memo out that the play-ins will count as playoffs for statistical purposes.
To me that means every goal Sid scores against Montreal will count toward his all-time playoff scoring totals.

Others are reading more into it.

Right.  It said that a players stats in the play-in games would count towards their career playoff stats, as opposed to regular season.  That’s all.  It does not say that all 24 teams are officially counted as making the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The draft lottery has to be toward the top of the stupid ideas in professional sports.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curt said:

Right.  It said that a players stats in the play-in games would count towards their career playoff stats, as opposed to regular season.  That’s all.  It does not say that all 24 teams are officially counted as making the playoffs.

If players play games in the qualifying round, and they get counted in their stats as playoff games played...then they are playing in playoff games. 🤷‍♂️

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If players play games in the qualifying round, and they get counted in their stats as playoff games played...then they are playing in playoff games. 🤷‍♂️

But does it count as making the playoffs for the purposes of conditional draft picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Curt said:

But does it count as making the playoffs for the purposes of conditional draft picks?

It should, due to what I stated. The 8 additional teams are now playoff teams - unless those 8 teams are somehow exempt from winning the Cup, which they aren’t. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It should, due to what I stated. The 8 additional teams are now playoff teams - unless those 8 teams are somehow exempt from winning the Cup, which they aren’t. 

I hear the logic of where you are coming from, but I bet that in the end, the 8 teams who lose in the play-in round, do not end up being classified as playoff teams.

Otherwise, why call it a play-in round, as opposed to round 1?  And teams who have conditional draft picks made the trades based on a 16 team playoff, not 24.

I the end, I think only the remaining 16 teams will be considered playoff teams.  It’s the NHL and it’s a pandemic.  It doesn’t need to make perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curt said:

I hear the logic of where you are coming from, but I bet that in the end, the 8 teams who lose in the play-in round, do not end up being classified as playoff teams.

Otherwise, why call it a play-in round, as opposed to round 1?  And teams who have conditional draft picks made the trades based on a 16 team playoff, not 24.

I the end, I think only the remaining 16 teams will be considered playoff teams.  It’s the NHL and it’s a pandemic.  It doesn’t need to make perfect sense.

That’s fine. Then any points scored in the play-in round are not playoff points. They are play-in points, and in a separate category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

That’s fine. Then any points scored in the play-in round are not playoff points. They are play-in points, and in a separate category. 

Like I said, it’s the NHL, things don’t need to make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It should, due to what I stated. The 8 additional teams are now playoff teams - unless those 8 teams are somehow exempt from winning the Cup, which they aren’t. 

Yeah, a shot at winning the Cup or the 1st overall pick.

It’s hard to please everyone but the lottery should have been for the 7 non playoff teams only.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, a shot at winning the Cup or the 1st overall pick.

It’s hard to please everyone but the lottery should have been for the 7 non playoff teams only.

Absolutely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ubkev said:

Oh no you don't! You don't get to walk away. You especially! You're the one who has been saying for the past decade that all we have to do is lose for a few more seasons, get a few more draft picks and then we'll contend. Well now you can reap it. You're stuck here with everyone else.

Yep. We’d be much better off if we didn’t have all these 8th overall picks. 
seems to me , the their best players are picked at 1 and 2.   
So you will never will get me to change that stance 

it’s not the Sabres losing driving me away it’s the league itself. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yep. We’d be much better off if we didn’t have all these 8th overall picks. 
seems to me , the their best players are picked at 1 and 2.   
So you will never will get me to change that stance 

it’s not the Sabres losing driving me away it’s the league itself. 

 

At least stick around for us to break the record. Only 2 more seasons. You can do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a clusterpuck this is.

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, a shot at winning the Cup or the 1st overall pick.

It’s hard to please everyone but the lottery should have been for the 7 non playoff teams only.

I don't understand this train of thought. Eight of those teams would have been in the lottery anyhoo if the season was completed. We just don't know which of them that would've been. They still could've won the lottery.

 

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubkev said:

At least stick around for us to break the record. Only 2 more seasons. You can do it!

Ok.  I’ll bite.   What record ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ok.  I’ll bite.   What record ? 

The Buffalo Sabres have the longest active playoff appearance drought (9 seasons). The longest playoff droughts in history were by the Panthers and Edmonton Oilers at 10 seasons, which ended in 2012 and 2017 respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The Buffalo Sabres have the longest active playoff appearance drought (9 seasons). The longest playoff droughts in history were by the Panthers and Edmonton Oilers at 10 seasons, which ended in 2012 and 2017 respectively.

If it wasn’t for Hutton it would have been over this year.  I still think they can be a very good team in e near future.  Missing 2 pieces. A 2nd goalie and a 2C.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

it’s not the Sabres losing driving me away it’s the league itself. 

I hear you and agree 100%. 
 

A bunch of 1%ers got together to figure out how to maximize profit. We, the fan, should sip the soup and call it a meal. 
 

I’ve been following the AHL for years now. Good hockey without the need to hold my pinkie out whilst watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Theana74 said:

Carter should be good to go for next year or whenever the season happens. He's a good guy who's had some medical issues. Excited to see what he can do with those issues sorted out

 

troll trolling GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

troll trolling GIF

That was an actual fan post.  I'd encourage more of those, not dissuade them.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don't understand this train of thought. Right of those teams would have been in the lottery anyhoo if the season was completed. We just don't know which of them that would've been. They still could've won the lottery.

 

Agreed.  As I've said before, since the season wasn't actually done, instead of separating it into "made it" and "missed it" teams, they separated them into "would have almost surely made it", "would have almost surely missed it" and "not sure whether they would have made it or not" teams.  The last group included the teams that would have been the lowest teams to make the playoffs and the highest teams to miss them (and be in the lottery).  Those teams are playing one shortened (best of 5) series to determine which is which.  The winners take the remaining 8 playoffs spots and the losers take the remaining 8 lottery spots.

The only problem (to me) with it is that they ran the lottery before the play-in round, so that when the unlikely event (24.4% chance of a team 8th or higher getting the #1 pick) actually happened, it felt much worse.  If they had just finished the play-in rounds, slotted the losers into the last 8 lottery slots and then held the lottery, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.  Those teams would have not been in the official playoffs when the lottery winners were decided.

Note: I would also have preferred re-seeding the 8 losers based on regular season point %, worst-to-best to slot into the 8th-worst to 15th-worst slots.  As it sits, now, if a good regular-season team has a bad round, they will get the same 1/8 shot as the other 7 losers, instead of lower chance, as would normally happen in the lottery.  Even if the play-in round goes as expected, except Toronto loses to Columbus (they are seated higher based on a tiebreaker), then the Maple Leafs will have the same 12.5% chance of picking #1 as Montreal.  With the re-seeding, whichever team was seeded 12th would have gotten it, or better yet, if they hadn't already run the lottery , Toronto would instead have had a 1% chance overall of getting the #1 and even conditional on someone in 8-15 getting it, a 4% chance (vs. Montreal's 24.5% chance) of getting the #1.  An even worse scenario is if a team like Pittsburgh has a bad round.  In essence, they gave each team in 8-15 an equal 3.1% chance overall of getting #1, rather than 6% down to 1% based on regular season performance.

Edited by carpandean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...