2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

On 4/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, dudacek said:

The theme of the deadline this year has been retention:

Palmieri, Savard, Nash, Staal, Borgstrom/Connolly...the significant trades have all come with salary cap considerations as a significant part of the package.

The Montour deal sticks out there like a sore thumb as the exception.

Did Adams leave a better return on the table by not retaining on Montour? And, if so, why?

The Sabres now have a little under $4 million in cap space and that number could swell to as much as $12 million by trading Hall (although it's a given they will be retaining on Hall).

That space can and should be weaponized. If we come out of the deadline well under the cap, we have squandered an asset.

Is that because Adams didn't have the chops? Because Kim and Terry were cutting costs? Both?

I just want to point out that we did not use our third option to retain, and we did not weaponize the approximately $6.7 million in pro-rated cap space created by our recent moves.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I just want to point out that we did not use our third option to retain, and we did not weaponize the approximately $6.7 million in pro-rated cap space created by our recent moves.

You're thinking too small.  That cap space will go to cover bonuses all the guys on ELCs earn this last month of the season now that the shackles have been removed.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

You're thinking too small.  That cap space will go to cover bonuses all the guys on ELCs earn this last month of the season now that the shackles have been removed.  😉

If our youngin's hit all their ELC bonuses, it would be the best news since before The Tank.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah this is definitely something we're going to have to revisit.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah this is definitely something we're going to have to revisit.

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I may be just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but my guess is that there was a different trade Adams desired to pull off; likely involving Hall, that effectively was crushed by Hall's NMC. It would give credence to why they didn't retain on Montour as they have thought they were going to need it for a separate deal.

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I may be just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but my guess is that there was a different trade Adams desired to pull off; likely involving Hall, that effectively was crushed by Hall's NMC. It would give credence to why they didn't retain on Montour as they have thought they were going to need it for a separate deal.

Or maybe the other Montour offers were so similar it didn't make sense to waste a retention slot for what may have amounted to a worse 3rd-rounder.

There are certainly justifications for every move or non-move but as @Thorny has been saying (and I fully support his campaign) we can only judge them on results.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I think you were sort of kidding, but there actually could be truth to this.  Dahlin, Jokiharju, Cozens, Routsalainen, Asplund, Bryson, Borgen?

I don’t know if/how much each could get in bonuses, but it could add up.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Many other teams used their cap space to acquire more assets.  I'm wondering if Terry preferred not spending that money? 

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think you were sort of kidding, but there actually could be truth to this.  Dahlin, Jokiharju, Cozens, Routsalainen, Asplund, Bryson, Borgen?

I don’t know if/how much each could get in bonuses, but it could add up.

Yeah.  It was a little tongue in cheek but there's truth to it as well.  Gaining some cap space can not only help make sure they're only out Hodgson's buyout heading into next season but can also let them bring some more of the taxi squad guts onto the roster if they believe any are deserving.  

Not hating that the other potential retention candidate wasn't identified but would be interested in knowing if that was looked into & also how close they came to doing so if it was considered.  (Fully realizing we won't be told that.)