2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

Staal, Johansson and Montour down on the UFA front, Hall, Sheahan, Rieder and Ullmark to go?

Also gotta wonder about next year's UFAs, Risto and Miller.

As far as I'm concerned this deadline is about moving out every asset that isn't part of team moving forward to leave us as clear a slate as possible for this summer.

Edited by dudacek

On 4/9/2021 at 10:13 AM, pi2000 said:

He's only a -6, TRpm of +4.5.

He's less of a liability at ES than as say Sam Reinhart (-24, -9 TRpm) or Victor Olofsson (-20, -7 TRpm).... so should we waive them too?

How many of those minuses for Reinhart, Olofsson, & Dahlin come with their own goalie pulled?  Has to be close to a dozen for each of them. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

How many of those minuses for Reinhart, Olofsson, & Dahlin come with their own goalie pulled?  Has to be close to a dozen for each of them. 

+/- does not factor in ENG.   Sam’s actually-26 through 38 games, and none are the empty net variety. Not defending TPRM and whatever the calculation is, or the ES performance of Sam.  Only calling out the plus minus stat. 

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

+/- does not factor in ENG.   Sam’s actually-26 through 38 games, and none are the empty net variety. Not defending TPRM and whatever the calculation is, or the ES performance of Sam.  Only calling out the plus minus stat. 

Since when?

+/- historically counts ES & SH goals but not PP goals.  6 v 6 with one of the 12 a goalie is ES.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Since when?

+/- historically counts ES & SH goals but not PP goals.  6 v 6 with one of the 12 a goalie is ES.

You are probably correct.  The NHL definition is ES but I saw a few articles, none with sources to NHL that said Empty net was not a factor in the calculation.

I checked the game log for Sabres v. Devils 4/6.  Risto was on the ice for 3 including his EN, and one against, thus he was credited for a + on the EN.

Edited by Broken Ankles

23 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

You are probably correct.  The NHL definition is ES but I saw a few articles, none with sources to NHL that said Empty net was not a factor in the calculation.

I checked the game log for Sabres v. Devils 4/6.  Risto was on the ice for 3 including his EN, and one against, thus he was credited for a + on the EN.

According to the stat sheet here, he was a +2.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

I believe it was 5 or 6 last I checked.

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hall going back to Edmonton would be interesting. Sounds like a real possibility. 

They lack cap space and don't want to give us a 1st in 2021,  they already trade 2nd 3rd and 5th round picks or something like that.
They can give us a 2022 1st maybe dunno.

The theme of the deadline this year has been retention:

Palmieri, Savard, Nash, Staal, Borgstrom/Connolly...the significant trades have all come with salary cap considerations as a significant part of the package.

The Montour deal sticks out there like a sore thumb as the exception.

Did Adams leave a better return on the table by not retaining on Montour? And, if so, why?

The Sabres now have a little under $4 million in cap space and that number could swell to as much as $12 million by trading Hall (although it's a given they will be retaining on Hall).

That space can and should be weaponized. If we come out of the deadline well under the cap, we have squandered an asset.

Is that because Adams didn't have the chops? Because Kim and Terry were cutting costs? Both?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Palmieri, Savard, Nash, Staal, Borgstrom/Connolly...the significant trades have all come with salary cap considerations as a significant part of the package.

Did Adams leave a better return on the table by not retaining on Montour? And, if so, why?

The Sabres now have a little under $4 million in cap space and that number could swell to as much as $12 million by trading Hall (although it's a given they will be retaining on Hall).

That space can and should be weaponized. If we come out of the deadline well under the cap, we have squandered an asset.

Is that because Adams didn't have the chops? Because Kim and Terry were cutting costs? Both?

Someone on twitter said yesterday that not retaining salary on Montour may have been deliberate because it let's them still have two spots to retain salary on other trades, notably Hall. So perhaps Adams is expecting to trade another player and retain salary in addition to Hall. 

We'll see if it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, dudacek said:

First,

im sure you know that they won’t really have anywhere near $12 million in cap space but rather the prorated version of that.

Second,

They can only retain on 3 players which with the assumption that Hall will be retained leaves them some more options before deadline.

Third,

Do you really think they are worried about what would amount to somewhere between $150K and $250K if they retained on Montour?

Fourth,

I’m still amazed at how people want to judge a certain process before that process is complete.

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

First,

im sure you know that they won’t really have anywhere near $12 million in cap space but rather the prorated version of that.

Second,

They can only retain on 3 players which with the assumption that Hall will be retained leaves them some more options before deadline.

Third,

Do you really think they are worried about what would amount to somewhere between $150K and $250K if they retained on Montour?

Fourth,

I’m still amazed at how people want to judge a certain process before that process is complete.

First:

Of course. it's pretty common shorthand for saying "the percentage left of Montour's $3.8 million AAV plus the percentage left of Hall's $8 million AAV.

Second

Exactly. I was trying to point out that there may be a reason why they didn't retain on Montour, and this is the most likely reason.

Third

If you mean the Pegulas, and the actual dollars out of pocket, probably not. I do point out that's a possibility and I think it may have led you to misread the basic intent of my post. i am not one of those who believes the Pegulas cheap out on everything. The evidence in regards to hockey players points to the opposite

Fourth

And the main intent of my post was exactly this: don't judge until all the pieces are in place. The fact that they did not retain on Montour tells me there may be another shoe to drop here. The most likely shoe is that they are planning for the possibility of retaining on two more players going out and/or bringing some salary in. IMO, it's the proper move, and I will be disappointed if I don't see some follow-through.

• Like (+1) 1