2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

If the Jets or Minnesota win the Lafreniere lottery, those teams will have better ammunition to chase the same centres we are.

How so? 

If they win the lottery, they're keeping the pick, and if they lose, we still have the higher 1st to dangle. Mittelstadt may have decreased value, but I think he, Tolvanen, and Boldy would all poll similar in trade value.

The only team's I see as having the ability to straight out-value us is Ottawa (3, 5, billion other picks and prospects), Anaheim (valuable NHL pieces), and Los Angeles (a mix of both), and I see none of those 3 being as desperate for multiple center upgrades as us.

22 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

How so? 

If they win the lottery, they're keeping the pick, and if they lose, we still have the higher 1st to dangle. Mittelstadt may have decreased value, but I think he, Tolvanen, and Boldy would all poll similar in trade value.

The only team's I see as having the ability to straight out-value us is Ottawa (3, 5, billion other picks and prospects), Anaheim (valuable NHL pieces), and Los Angeles (a mix of both), and I see none of those 3 being as desperate for multiple center upgrades as us.

I was thinking from the perspective of adding Lafreniere means it suddenly becomes easier to trade a a good forward or a good prospect, similar to having Cozens makes it easier for us to trade Mittelstadt, and having Montour makes it easier to trade Risto.

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates in 31 Thoughts 

22. Unwilling to the pay the price for Kapanen, teams were asking Toronto what other forwards are available. Based on what I’m hearing, I don’t think William Nylander is going anywhere without a legit top-four right-handed defender coming in return. Filip Hallanderwas high on Toronto’s list when the Maple Leafs picked 52nd overall in 2018, although Toronto went with Sean Durzi — who went to Los Angeles in the Jake Muzzin deal. So it wasn’t a shocker that he’s the prospect they wanted from Pittsburgh.

23. Phillip Danault’s post-elimination comments did not go unnoticed. The Montreal centre, who finished behind surging Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Nick Suzuki on the depth chart, said, “It made my role a bit unclear moving forward.” The Canadiens are being asked about their plans for him. Good player. Very confident. Unrestricted in a year. Also hearing Max Domi will consider an agent switch, possibly as soon as this week.

24. Pittsburgh is testing the market on Jared McCann, a surprising healthy scratch in the Montreal series. 

25. Adding to the goalie glut, Columbus — with a very deep prospect pool at the position — would consider moving one of its top two for some scoring. Elvis Merzlikins is expansion exempt, but Joonas Korpisalo and Matiss Kivlenieksaren’t.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Assets wise? They do. Competence wise? Remains to be seen. 

If you are including Reinhart and Cozens, yes.  Maybe 8th overall along with Montour, Mittlestadt.  Just one of those pieces?  Doubt it.  Also depends if anyone thinks Risto is any good. 

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

If you are including Reinhart and Cozens, yes.  Maybe 8th overall along with Montour, Mittlestadt.  Just one of those pieces?  Doubt it.  Also depends if anyone thinks Risto is any good. 

8th overall. 1st round pick next year. Montour, Ristolainen. 

These are assets worth more than some reasonable stop gap options like Copp. 

With the quality of C currently on the roster, and the length of time it's been that way, there's frankly zero reason Adams should be the GM if he can't  upgrade the C position this summer. For heaven's sakes.

Edited by Thorny

He's a left shot lw id be shocked if we weren't kicking tires

He's been a really solid player from what I can tell. That 5 year deal would take him until almost-36, though. 

Sign him and trade him to MTL for Danault lol

Edited by Thorny

It's funny cause, we have several "timelines" that should at least have a say in conversations like these...there's the Eichel, the Dahlin, and then also the Skinner timeline (if $$$ has a say). We are paying Jeff a lot of money and maximizing that (and his in-his-prime shooting abilities) is, while not the priority, a solid consideration.

Is a turning-31 Hoffman too old for that? Skinner is 28. 

He may still be. We could end up handcuffing the Dahlin timeline. It can be a bit of a pickle. 

I just default to the Eichel timeline because he is in name and actuality the Franchise, and our best shot at a Stanley Cup.

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Wacky rumor on reddit that Mike Hoffman is sought by EDM, MTL, and BUF.  Doesn't make much sense.

Jack was complaining for a more veteran tough presence in the lineup.  Kreuger alluded to it as well.  Hoffman fits the grizzled vet card nicely.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Wacky rumor on reddit that Mike Hoffman is sought by EDM, MTL, and BUF.  Doesn't make much sense.

That rumor apparently originated with Eklund, so I think we can safely call it nonsense.

It honestly amazes me that this guy has made a career out of fabricating trade rumors and people still share everything he writes without fail.

Attached is a 10 min interview with David Pagnotta from the Fourth Period on WGR with Howard Simon talking about potential trades for Buffalo and players available on the market. He brought up Laine from Winnipeg and noted that Ehlers would probably be a better fit for the Sabres because he is a more well rounded player. He talked about Domi and some other players and their availability. He brought up the Risto trade value and that Winnipeg would be interested in him. This is some good hockey trade talk. 

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a 10 min interview with David Pagnotta from the Fourth Period on WGR with Howard Simon talking about potential trades for Buffalo and players available on the market. He brought up Laine from Winnipeg and noted that Ehlers would probably be a better fit for the Sabres because he is a more well rounded player. He talked about Domi and some other players and their availability. He brought up the Risto trade value and that Winnipeg would be interested in him. This is some good hockey trade talk. 

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy

I can't shake the feeling that if Winnipeg was really interested in Risto, that trade would've happened last year.