2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How is Eakin still on this team? I would have waived him already. 

He's only a -6, TRpm of +4.5.

He's less of a liability at ES than as say Sam Reinhart (-24, -9 TRpm) or Victor Olofsson (-20, -7 TRpm).... so should we waive them too?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's only a -6, TRpm of +4.5.

He's less of a liability at ES than as say Sam Reinhart (-24, -9 TRpm) or Victor Olofsson (-20, -7 TRpm).... so should we waive them too?

I mean, sure, if anyone was running an NHL team based on TRpm.  We'd have a team full of Eakins.  Sounds wonderful.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thwomp! said:

I mean, sure, if anyone was running an NHL team based on TRpm.  We'd have a team full of Eakins.  Sounds wonderful.

Actually, you'd have a team that maybe doesn't score much, but gives up the fewest goals in the league.   

Throw in an all-world goalie and they'd be Cup contenders every season and well under the cap 🙂

Just now, pi2000 said:

Actually, you'd have a team that maybe doesn't score much, but gives up the fewest goals in the league.   

Throw in an all-world goalie and they'd be Cup contenders every season and well under the cap 🙂

This is literally the only way this model could ever work. Mainly because +/- does not account for all goals. 

But also because having a team sit in a defensive shell invites more shots/chances against and will result in more goals. It is why no one gives a ***** about +/- compared to transition stats. 

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Kind of like the Sabres during the Hasek years, eh?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is literally the only way this model could ever work. Mainly because +/- does not account for all goals. 

But also because having a team sit in a defensive shell invites more shots/chances against and will result in more goals. It is why no one gives a ***** about +/- compared to transition stats. 

What if it was a team that scored a lot, but kept losing games late because they didn’t have a shutdown D man. They might give a *****.

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The Devils.  Someone will try this again btw and it almost destroyed the league the last time this phenomenon caught on.

The Devils when they won their cups I don't think they played that damn trap, well at least the first two anyway.  Marty and Scott were the reasons.

6 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It was nice to have a good goalie but the hockey was boring AF.  This stuff needs to not come back into vogue.  

Was it boring in 1998 and, especially, 1999?

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Devils when they won their cups I don't think they played that damn trap, well at least the first two anyway.  Marty and Scott were the reasons.

The shooting skills and puck movement of todays game would make playing that style problematic. A Mackinnon or McDavid would just carve through you in transition and the shooting talent would be brutal. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Was it boring in 1998 and, especially, 1999?

People forget that while the Devils popularized the trap, they also did it with some very, very good rosters. The 1999 roster could be argued to be on par with the Western powerhouses of Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas. (And yes, it helped them that Lindros was injured for the playoffs).

1998-99 are probably not analytics darlings, true. But that was fun and entertaining, edge-of-your seat hockey. The winning helped.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I can’t believe he’s under contract for another season.  He’s the worst forward in the NHL.  He gets caved every night while bringing nothing other than an above average FO%.  Coaches need to be educated on how little value that metric has.  He’s exactly Vladimir Sobotka. 

This is actually accurate. When he was with VGK he had every single teammate’s eGF go down with him on the ice.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is actually accurate. When he was with VGK he had every single teammate’s eGF go down with him on the ice.

Thank goodness the guy in charge of pro scouting was fired.  He definitely didn't get a promotion and is still running things.  I was worried there for a second.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

People forget that while the Devils popularized the trap, they also did it with some very, very good rosters. The 1999 roster could be argued to be on par with the Western powerhouses of Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas. (And yes, it helped them that Lindros was injured for the playoffs).

1998-99 are probably not analytics darlings, true. But that was fun and entertaining, edge-of-your seat hockey. The winning helped.

In 1995 the Devils were a very stacked team and did not play the trap.  They beat all comers fair and square.  2000, I don't think was a trap year ... they still were stacked.  2003, well maybe that was a trap year.

I agree completely about the 1998 and 1999 Sabres.  They were very sound defensively, but good offensively too.  They had a real *baller* in Hasek, though.

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I actually read this as “he had every single teammate’s ex-girlfriend go down on him on the ice.”

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2