2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

I’m not in the “move all the UFAs” camp.  Lets make the moves to win some friggin hockey games.

Now, Im not sure Hall fits in the win some games model for end of season roster movement.  But some of our pending UFAs sure might.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not in the “move all the UFAs” camp.  Lets make the moves to win some friggin hockey games.

Now, Im not sure Hall fits in the win some games model for end of season roster movement.  But some of our pending UFAs sure might.

Ullmark definitely 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, nfreeman said:

I think it would be nuts not to trade Hall, Montour or any other FA who won’t be back for whatever they can get.  IMHO there is zero benefit in “sending a message” to the NHL about  not getting lowballed.  The return will be driven by supply and demand, as always.  

^^^ This.   All this talk of Adams  needing to show that he won’t be taken advantage of is nonsense.  Take the best offer regardless of how little it is, and move on.  Better something, than nothing. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

4. The person to watch is Kevyn Adams. He’s the juggler, going through multiple scenarios both big and small. There’s a big difference between “considering” and “doing,” but I think he’s considering almost everything. And I do believe he’s listening to Jack Eichel pitches. At the very least, Adams is getting the lay of the land.

From 31 Thoughts 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I saw a Leaf proposal I'd like analytical analysis on.

Hall(50%) for TOR's 1st and Kerfoot

A First Year Pick and Bonafide Bottom Six Center with two years left on His Deal, absolutely 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

4. The person to watch is Kevyn Adams. He’s the juggler, going through multiple scenarios both big and small. There’s a big difference between “considering” and “doing,” but I think he’s considering almost everything. And I do believe he’s listening to Jack Eichel pitches. At the very least, Adams is getting the lay of the land.

From 31 Thoughts 

A First Year Pick and Bonafide Bottom Six Center with two years left on His Deal, absolutely 

If we can believe the rumors, it's pretty interesting Adams has apparently identified Dahlin as our lone untouchable, and not Eichel. 

Remember, Botterill was reluctant to give Eichel a long-term deal (objection - not relevant in this context?) but also, if Friedman is to be trusted, and I always come back to this, believed Dahlin was his ticket to "tearing things down to the studs". 

Maybe 2 GMs that have Dahlin at the heart of the nucleus. 

• Like (+1) 1

The upcoming unrestricted free agents that management wants to stay should already have been talked to and there should be ongoing negotiations. If they won't re-sign, you trade them. All upcoming free agents that the team doesn't want for next season should be traded. 

The younger players should be looked at hard for the rest of the season and let them make their mistakes and learn from them starting now. Better decisions can then be made about moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The upcoming unrestricted free agents that management wants to stay should already have been talked to and there should be ongoing negotiations. If they won't re-sign, you trade them. All upcoming free agents that the team doesn't want for next season should be traded. 

The younger players should be looked at hard for the rest of the season and let them make their mistakes and learn from them starting now. Better decisions can then be made about moving forward. 

I agree.

A look at what the Sabres have near or roster ready, let the recent picks continue to journey the development system. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m only saying this because some stupid rangers article popped up in my recommendeds about then trading for Eichel. If for whatever stupid reason trade Eichel and we don’t get Fox, Kakko/Lafrenière, and Strome/Zuccs+ for him I would be pissed. I want nothing to do with trading Eichel to the Rangers. Kings or bust, and that’s only if it’s got their big three prospects and Bjornföt. I’m leaning less towards trading him with our improved play, but he’s yet to step on the ice since it happened and any Eichel trade needs to happen after he’s skated under Granato anyway and who knows what that’ll bring. 

Edited by #freejame

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

There absolutely should be, but with the Seattle draft on the horizon it would be foolish to sign any of them (except Ullmark) now as that gives them more bodies to protect & increases the choices Seattle has available to them.  Right now, at a minimum, Seattle will have absolute minimum 1 of Jokiharju, Borgen, & (IIRC Bryson too, maybe he slides under the threshold, not positive when he joined Ra-cha-cha).  Sign any of the UFA D-men & that's how many more guys need to be exposed.

Get a gentleman's agreement worked out & sign them right after Francis makes his selection.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There absolutely should be, but with the Seattle draft on the horizon it would be foolish to sign any of them (except Ullmark) now as that gives them more bodies to protect & increases the choices Seattle has available to them.  Right now, at a minimum, Seattle will have absolute minimum 1 of Jokiharju, Borgen, & (IIRC Bryson too, maybe he slides under the threshold, not positive when he joined Ra-cha-cha).  Sign any of the UFA D-men & that's how many more guys need to be exposed.

Get a gentleman's agreement worked out & sign them right after Francis makes his selection.

Fortunately Bryson is exempt from expansion. 

I would protect Borgen over Risto, the latter has been a good soldier and deserves the chance to play for another team.

Besides that His Metrics are getting bad again 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Fortunately Bryson is exempt from expansion. 

I would protect Borgen over Risto, the latter has been a good soldier and deserves the chance to play for another team.

Besides that His Metrics are getting bad again 

If they have a deal worked out to bring McCabe back, would absolutely protect Ristolainen.  If not, it becomes an interesting exercise to decide whether or not to protect Ristolainen.

But my guess is that Risto is 2nd on the list of locks for the 3 D slots.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If they have a deal worked out to bring McCabe back, would absolutely protect Ristolainen.  If not, it becomes an interesting exercise to decide whether or not to protect Ristolainen.

But my guess is that Risto is 2nd on the list of locks for the 3 D slots.

If Pegula has a say in the list, Risto is a lock. 

That being said I’m not sure that it’s great asset management to protect the teams highest paid D Man when he requires another player to prop him up. 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:30 AM, LGR4GM said:

This does not make sense to me. You are losing the money either way but a because you got a 3rd it makes it all worth it? If that is the case, we will never make the playoffs with this ownership group. 

I think the original comment was about signing hall in the first place. 

Terry agrees to the Hall signing because of the idea that he is going to produce and elevate the team, he has a year similar to his season in NJ and its money well spent. With Halls production this year, I'm sure Terry is now wishing he could rid himself of the $57,000/day cost however they can.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, LGR4GM said:

If some GM is like come on take this 3rd rounder for Hall and eat half his salary, yes. The power in any relationship lies with whoever cares least. We should care nothing for an extra 3rd round pick that might be an NHL player in 4-6 years when trading a player of Hall's caliber. Sure his value might be inflated after not being great this year but that's not our problem, that's something another GM needs to deal with. You hold here to strengthen your position in the future for trade talks. Just caving at the last minute to get whatever you can sends a signal that you will do that. Considering we aren't tanking what is more valuable? Setting the example of how you negotiate? Or folding and getting pennies on the dollar just so you can say you got "something"?

So showing some GMs that you have Balls is more important then getting some sort of asset that can be used to help the franchise?

If Adams is more interested in winning a pissing contest then improving the team, he should be fired because he isn't doing whats best for the franchise

No ones saying he should just take what ever the first offer he gets is or not negotiate for the best deal, but if they shouldn't hold onto Hall past the deadline just to 'send a message'. Something is better then nothing. A third can always be used as part of another deal, or packaged with other picks to move up in the draft or acquire someone else. Theres just as much of a chance that Adam's (and the Sabres front Office) 'image' will suffer by holding onto Hall just as much because they they weren't willing to move a player to give them a chance on a better team because you want to prove something to the other GMs. Players and agents could decide your not a place they want to play for because the GM & front offices image is more important

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 2