2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

@dudacek @Randall Flagg Granted in the end I wouldn't trade him NYR regardless of their offer. 

To be honest, as I have said before in regards to Eichel demanding a trade/waiting for him NMC to kick in and then trying to pick his destination, I would just eat his salary and let him sit out the remainder of his deal if he'd like. In my opinion, sitting on him for 4 years is preferable to letting him pick a destination and then us taking a pittance in return. This franchise cannot afford to merely stand down and give in to his request and a weak offer. 

The only offers I'll even pay attention to are from the Western Conference.

The LAK's offer brought up would be effectively what I would want.

Turcotte, Byfield, Kempe, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, and a 2023 2nd; perhaps swapping our 1st this year depending on their placements would be what I want out of any hypothetical trade involving Eichel.

One additional point I might add though is Dustin Brown for his leadership, experience, and playing style. He's also from NY State.

If we go that route however I'd want us to pretty much gut the team, meaning trading Risto, Reinhart, maybe Olofsson, buyout Eakin, bury Okposo next year and buy out his final year.

Next I would figure out a deal surrounding Skinner for Couture, Couture is a diehard Bills fan and would likely be proud to be a Sabre and embrace the community. 

From there I'd move onto finding a way to convince Nick Foligno to sign here without breaking the bank. 

Next year we'd have a solid vet leadership group of 3 former team captains in Couture, Brown and Foligno whom all have some semblance of ties to the region and grit and tenacity in their style of play.

Turcotte and Byfield would not be forced into the lineup; they will come when they are prepared properly. I'm going to assume 1 makes it.

Let's see our lines would look like this so far

xxx - Couture - xxx

Kempe - Cozens - Foligno

xxx - Byfield - Brown

Asplund - Lazar - xxx

As for the defense you start with your core piece in Dahlin. Savard will be his friend, Adam Larsson would work as well, as the stabilizing D partner for the kid until Borgen or Samuelsson is ready. I'd also bring back McCabe if he's willing to and doesn't demand absurd money. Bribe Seattle to take Miller off our hands. And lastly acquire a handy defenseman like a Merrill who would sign for under 2 mil. Bryson is our 7th Dman, but would take Merrill's spot when we need a more offensive or aggressive approach.

Dahlin - Savard

McCabe - Jokiharju

Merill - Borgen

Bryson

Lastly we have goalie. Resign Ullmark and go get Reimer.

Ullmark

Reimer

Wa la, completely different hockey team.

My mind right now is on giving it one more go with Eichel because you’ve got to exhaust all opportunities there before moving him. There’s really not a whole lot aside from catastrophic injury that lowers his value a year from now.

LA is definitely a fit as far as getting him out west, finding a team/city he’d likely desire and having pieces we’d want ... but unless a guy like Vilardi takes off and becomes involved in the deal I’d want to get a third team and redirect a guy like Turcotte and one of those firsts there to get a 25-or-young guy that’s already on NHL ice.

Also, hello everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

My mind right now is on giving it one more go with Eichel because you’ve got to exhaust all opportunities there before moving him. There’s really not a whole lot aside from catastrophic injury that lowers his value a year from now.

LA is definitely a fit as far as getting him out west, finding a team/city he’d likely desire and having pieces we’d want ... but unless a guy like Vilardi takes off and becomes involved in the deal I’d want to get a third team and redirect a guy like Turcotte and one of those firsts there to get a 25-or-young guy that’s already on NHL ice.

Also, hello everyone.

A 3 team trade?  Is that even allowed?  Sounds too creative. 

• Haha (+1) 1

“"They're not sure exactly what they're going to do — are they going to trade him or not — because this is not only a GM decision, the owner is going to make the final decision and Jack is really close to ownership, so that is part of the equation."”

- - - 

“"But what I've been told is this: If they trade him, what they really want is four pieces that are first-round picks, or players that are playing if not in the NHL or elsewhere in the NCAA that are first-round picks that are having success. ... They want young players, maybe some playing in the NHL right now, that were first-round picks but if they're not in the NHL they need to be”

”NCAA” lolll

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

That seems like a bad article. There doesn't appear to be a lot of meat on the bone, and it reads like it was written by someone who is not that well versed in hockey 

Definitely seems like it’s dropping too many unsubstantiated “bombs” even if it’s things we’ve been speculating about.

On another note, the “speak it into existence” thing is happening 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Definitely seems like it’s dropping too many unsubstantiated “bombs” even if it’s things we’ve been speculating about.

On another note, the “speak it into existence” thing is happening 

"With the way it's going down the tube so quickly between both parties and how public Eichel's disdain of his and his team's situation has gotten — through his own words, various media reports, and the often trustworthy "where there's smoke there's usually fire" philosophy — "

That is exactly what they are doing lol. This is ridiculously stated

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That seems like a bad article. There doesn't appear to be a lot of meat on the bone, and it reads like it was written by someone who is not that well versed in hockey 

At least it’s dead on about the clueless owner. I’m hoping the more bad press Pegula gets the more likely it is that he realizes HE is the problem and he actually hires someone to take control and he gets out of the way for good. 

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's an unconnected blogger putting his spin on a connected reporter's reporting.

What Renaud Lavoie (the original source) is saying is the ask is roughly the equivalent of four Dylan Cozens: four talented young players at or near the NHL who are already good, or who you could reasonably expect to get good or better.

• So Turcotte, Byfield, Kempe and Bjornfot...
  • Or Lafreniere, Chytil, Buchnevich and Lindgren...
  • Or Keller, Crouse, Chychrun and Hayton...
  • Or Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov and Poehling...
  • Or Newhook, Byrum, Jost and Timmins...

Pick your team and have at 'er

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The problem with including Adam Fox in any trade proposals for Eichel, is that Fox did everything he had to do to end up a member of the Rangers. He was drafted by Calgary and told them he would not be signing with them and that his plan was to finish His Four Years at Harvard then decide His Future. 

He was traded to Carolina in the Hamilton Deal, and immediately told Carolina His Plan was to finish His Remaining Two Seasons at Harvard and then would decide on His Professional Future. 

One year later he was traded to the Rangers and he signed an ELC when His Junior Year was completed at Harvard. 

How quickly would he end up back in NYC after the deal was complete?

Also Boston would gladly give up Four First Round Picks for Eichel, everyone of them would be in the 25-32 Range, so why not? 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's an unconnected blogger putting his spin on a connected reporter's reporting.

What Renaud Lavoie (the original source) is saying is the ask is roughly the equivalent of four Dylan Cozens: four talented young players at or near the NHL who are already good, or who you could reasonably expect to get good or better.

You didn't list Carolina... 

Jarvis, Drury, Gunler, and Trocheck... they also have other prospects of note because they don't draft like a meth upped 3rd grader driving a car blindfolded. 

53 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"With the way it's going down the tube so quickly between both parties and how public Eichel's disdain of his and his team's situation has gotten — through his own words, various media reports, and the often trustworthy "where there's smoke there's usually fire" philosophy — "

Yup, this supposed very public falling out between management and Eichel literally has not happened.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

From Arizona, Garland is someone to put on that list.  They are potentially looking to move him too.

From NYR there are tons of potential options but not much for C’s.

From LA Vilardi and Kaliyev are potential pieces.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You didn't list Carolina... 

Jarvis, Drury, Gunler, and Trocheck... they also have other prospects of note because they don't draft like a meth upped 3rd grader driving a car blindfolded. 

I heard that the Sabres are looking at hiring that 3rd grader to the scouting department.  Just have to convince Pegula to buy the meth.

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That was my first impression but then I remembered we have a GM that isn't well-versed in hockey management and an ownership group that isn't well-versed in hockey logic so I immediately assumed it's all ironclad facts.

• Haha (+1) 1

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere:

During the intermission yesterday on TV, Friedman said that he wonders about Sam Reinhart in Buffalo. Said other teams are impressed by how he's looked/held up in the Buffalo season and that he thinks there is a lot of interest around him. Said we'd "like to keep him" but contract could be an issue.

He also was asked about guys Buffalo is considering "untouchable", and he said only Dahlin. 

Marek commented that it was interesting Eichel wasn't mentioned. 

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I get the suspicion it's Eichel and Reinhart, old finkle and einhorn that have been designated by Adams and Co as the (tank) "core" and that's the duo on which the primary decision is being made

And given that Adams has tossed up more bricks in his tenure than John Starks in game 7 vs the Rockets I trust his judgement about as much as I do the clueless moron who hired him.

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I get the suspicion it's Eichel and Reinhart, old finkle and einhorn that have been designated by Adams and Co as the (tank) "core" and that's the duo on which the primary decision is being made

It won't be a bad decision to ship out the old core(Eichel, Reinhart & Risto are the primary members) in the offseason.  It will be a bad decision if the trading of said players is put in the hands of Adams.  Scary....scary bad!

On 3/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, Randall Flagg said:

I apologize for the laziness and ignorance, who is that quote attributed to?

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

And given that Adams has tossed up more bricks in his tenure than John Starks in game 7 vs the Rockets I trust his judgement about as much as I do the clueless moron who hired him.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It won't be a bad decision to ship out the old core(Eichel, Reinhart & Risto are the primary members) in the offseason.  It will be a bad decision if the trading of said players is put in the hands of Adams.  Scary....scary bad!

Adams may be the next great League GM but I can't see how, through the prism of the information we currently have, trusting him to trade Jack can be defendable. It's not a bet I'd be comfortable making. 

You are not only trusting him to pull it off adequately, you are already assuming Jack needs to be moved in the first place. You are placing a bet you are guessing right on Jack and then spinning a roulette wheel after that. Where previous results are lacking. 

This is after an 8th place MVP finish and 21 games of injury hampered play. I wanna cry. 

Edited by Thorny