2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

Team A offers a low 1st (say, the 25th pick) for Hall. 

Team B offers a 6th-round pick and a lousy, overpaid veteran whose contract expires this summer for Hall and Okposo.

Which offer should the Sabres take?

As a reminder, KO has 2 more seasons after this one at $6MM per season.

(For the record, no one is taking Skinner, so we're only talking about KO.)

I'd take B but I can't exactly figure out who would offer this sort of deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

Team B offers a 6th-round pick and a lousy, overpaid veteran whose contract expires this summer for Hall and Okposo.

Woooooow.  Every year I keep thinking this has to be okposo last on the contract.  Two more years after this?  25th pick in a weak draft?  Get rid of KO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

It's a no-brainer (B), but even the wookie is on it.  

I would not part with any assets to get rid or Okposo's contract.  The Hurricanes just waived Jake Gardiner.  Karl Alzner spent the last two years playing for the Laval Rocket.  Like these players, Okposo should be waived to the taxi-squad this year and waived and assigned to Rochester the next two years.  The roster spot can be filled by a better and younger player (Ruotsalainen or Asplund this and next year; Quinn or Peterka in 2 years) who make less than the $1,050,000.00 we save on the cap if Okposo is waived.

Just now, thewookie1 said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2278014

Would this team be any better?

With Krueger as the coach?  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Depends who the coach is.

I don’t think the trade return for Hall will be close to that.

I've seen plenty of Isles fans being good with it.

Hall(50%) for Bellows, Komorov, 2021 1st and 2022 3rd allows them to be effectively cap neutral this year and dump Komorov's last year of his salary.

Buffalo gets an underachieving but still well thought of prospect, a vet with grit for a year and a 2021 1st + a 3rd in 2022.

In theory you may even be able to trade that 1st to Seattle for them to take Okposo.

Edited by thewookie1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I've seen plenty of Isles fans being good with it.

Hall(50%) for Bellows, Komorov, 2021 1st and 2022 3rd allows them to be effectively cap neutral this year and dump Komorov's last year of his salary.

Buffalo gets an underachieving but still well thought of prospect, a vet with grit for a year and a 2021 1st + a 3rd in 2022.

In theory you may even be able to trade that 1st to Seattle for them to take Okposo.

Can you find an example of a rental fetching so much?

The drafts are always a challenge and this one will be more so due to lack of games and scouting.

I would compile as many picks as possible to stock up the prospect base. This is considered a weak draft by some but there are always good players. Some kids haven’t been playing but may have worked out like crazy and added significant strength. Others may have grown multiple inches.

Other teams may undervalue picks but there is always value. A late round pick may turn out better than a first rounder whose development has flattened. Is this the year another Zetterberg is found? I think it is more likely this year due to everyone’s lack of scouting.

However, will the Sabres find some hidden gems? 

I am also tired of waiting on draft picks to develop and make this team good again but what is the alternative?

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Hall(50%) for Bellows, Komorov, 2021 1st and 2022 3rd

Hall and Blake Speers to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for Kevin Bahl, Nick Merkley, Nate Schnarr, a first-round pick in 2020, and a third-round pick in 2021.

Hmm, maybe, but I think this undersells the value of Bellows.

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hall and Blake Speers to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for Kevin Bahl, Nick Merkley, Nate Schnarr, a first-round pick in 2020, and a third-round pick in 2021.

Hmm, maybe, but I think this undersells the value of Bellows.

Who is Blake Speers?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

I take the pick if I can find a way to move my first for a young, ready NHL forward prospect

I take the KO dump if I'm keeping our high pick and accepting my slightly off board KA selection in a weak draft 

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, Curt said:

This is a good question.  To me, it depends on the path of the team moving forward.

1) If the team is going to “rebuild”, trading core players for ELC players/picks, definitely take the 1st.

2) If the team is going all in again next season, taking the Okposo parachute deal could make sense.

Also, a note on late 1st round picks in the 2021 draft.  Because this draft class is going to be somewhat under scouted, I feel like there might be more “misses” than normal.  At #25, there could be players on the board who would normally go ~10th in a normal season with a full set of games.  Just something to think about.

Yup. A good point, and why I am most concerned with having "A" first and don't care much for keeping ours if we can deal if for a ready player. Not only do we need the player now, we have a better chance of getting someone good, assuming the offers are fair. 

13 hours ago, Curt said:

This is a good question.  To me, it depends on the path of the team moving forward.

1) If the team is going to “rebuild”, trading core players for ELC players/picks, definitely take the 1st.

2) If the team is going all in again next season, taking the Okposo parachute deal could make sense.

Also, a note on late 1st round picks in the 2021 draft.  Because this draft class is going to be somewhat under scouted, I feel like there might be more “misses” than normal.  At #25, there could be players on the board who would normally go ~10th in a normal season with a full set of games.  Just something to think about.

But there is also a good chance that the player you take at 25 may turn out to be a bigger miss because of the limited play

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

But there is also a good chance that the player you take at 25 may turn out to be a bigger miss because of the limited play

Yeah, maybe.  High risk/high reward.

To be honest, this draft is on the weak side, so it may be more like high risk/medium reward.  I could be overstating my position a bit.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/travis-yosts-sabre-metrics-islanders-might-present-intriguing-options-to-improve-sabres/article_ce790c6e-8584-11eb-ad1a-b75f1feaf9b1.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Travis Yost with an idea 

So how can the Sabres make a pitch? Submit offer sheets to Pelech and Varlamov at the same time. Since the Sabres own all their 2022 NHL draft picks, they can sign both players into different compensation ranges without violating the collective bargaining agreement (10.4). Assuming the offer sheet compensation will mirror what it did last summer, it might look something like this:

The Sabres could offer Pelech a multiyear contract up to $4.3 million annually, and simultaneously offer Sorokin a multiyear contract up to $6.5 million annually. The point is to squeeze the outer limits of the compensation range and force a team like the Islanders to consider declining to match the offer sheet.

To that end, it’s not a question of whether the Islanders love a player like Sorokin – they do. The question is whether they love him enough to decline a future first- and third-round pick, and avoid paying that same goaltender $6 million annually. Depending on how bullish you are on Sorokin, even a high-end offer now could be on the low end of his true talent in the long term. But it would force the Islanders to consider their cap strategy and the opportunity costs that would come with matching multiple offer sheets. (In this case, they could tie up in excess of $10 million in just two players.)

Alternatively, you can easily see a scenario in which the Islanders match a high-end offer for Sorokin and decline to meet the midrange offer for Pelech. Either way, the Sabres end the day with more talent, not less.

Offer sheets have become beta noire in the NHL, but I’ve always attributed that to how punitive the top end of the compensation range is, as well as the ability for general managers to engineer side trades in lieu of tendering. I expect that to continue. But if there was ever a time for teams to get creative in a multiyear flat-cap era, this is it.

• Thanks (+1) 1