2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm seriously wondering why anyone thinks that Staal is an added value to our top five draft pick. His play has been absolute dogpoo. You couldn't look any more done than he looks.

if Carolina wants him you aren't getting anything more than a low pick in a future year. That's it. It's a mercy killing at this point. He has no actual value.

I think, and am hopeful, that he does hold value.  At least to some teams.

Teams love to add old experienced veteran leadership at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Raise your hand if you have confidence that our GM, who has zero prior deadline experience will be able to extract market value, or perhaps even flat-out win a trade working against real GMs? Was KA ever around the warroom with JB while he was managing the Jr. Sabres? 

Come deadline he's going to get desperate and sell low because he's in over his head. My sense is that more embarrassment is forthcoming.

🙋🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The prospect of getting a second round pick is just so underwhelming as I review our history of 2nd round picks. Maybe you use that pick in a future trade package?

It's the shorthand currency for renting a UFA for the playoffs. (We won't be) but if we somehow managed to be playoff bound in 2022 and need a veteran 3C who's won the Cup and can provide some playoff know-how for a young team...  blammo. You toss them a 2nd rounder.

You also need the 2nd if you want to do any RFA offer sheets... What is meesa sayin'?

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Darren Dreger says he is hearing Carolina has interest in bringing back Staal; could be the trade partner.

Says a second round pick seems high  (I agree) and is thinking a 3rd or 4th is more likely.

I'd rather keep him then, anything past the midway point of the 3rd round is practically worthless. How many players in the late 3rd or on have actually ended up good on the Sabres besides Olafsson? 

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd rather keep him then, anything past the midway point of the 3rd round is practically worthless. How many players in the late 3rd or on have actually ended up good on the Sabres besides Olafsson? 

He’s not coming back and he is standing in the way of players that need developing.

Take whatever asset you can get.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Its early on him but, Bryson was a fourth. I do tend to agree with you though, the statistics on players making the NHL fall drastically after the top 15 in round one.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s not coming back and he is standing in the way of players that need developing.

Take whatever asset you can get.

I'm torn here.  I do not like "just play the kids".  The kids get crushed under all that weight because they don't have support.  I will go to my grave firmly believing that the reason that we still suck 10 years later is because we had too many kids being supported by too many sub NHL players, and the weight of expectation was crsuhing them.  I don't need to see this generation of kids get rushed.

But, on the other hand, how effectively is Staal helping develop the kids that are here.

I don't know that I like either solution.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

30 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Its early on him but, Bryson was a fourth. I do tend to agree with you though, the statistics on players making the NHL fall drastically after the top 15 in round one.

He’s a disgruntled vet having his worst pro season.  He’s a UFA that isn’t staying in Buffalo.  What’s the point of keeping him?

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

He’s a disgruntled vet having his worst pro season.  He’s a UFA that isn’t staying in Buffalo.  What’s the point of keeping him?

As I said above, to prevent crushing the kids.  At this point I think that may be his one and only value.

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Its not about keeping him but getting a better return imo. He's toast, but for some reason teams are interested so I'd see if they will pay more first. 

If a 3rd is all they can get then then yeah, move him. 

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

As I said above, to prevent crushing the kids.  At this point I think that may be his one and only value.

Meh. You still have Eakin and Eichel for the toughest matchups if that's what you want.

He already isn't protecting Cozens. Mitts, Tage, Asplund and R2 aren't babies any more.

There's 30 games left and the season is over. Let's use it to see if they have a future.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Ullmark, Olofsson, Borgen, Bryson.  All 4th round or later.  They hit once in a while.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Meh. You still have Eakin and Eichel for the toughest matchups if that's what you want.

He already isn't protecting Cozens. Mitts, Tage, Asplund and R2 aren't babies any more.

There's 30 games left and the season is over. Let's use it to see if they have a future.

But isn’t that all we’ve been doing this past 6 years? Throwing as many youngsters and random bot 6 guys at the problem and hoping it plugs the leak.

If Eichel’s season is through and depending on Cozens situation I’d be looking to hold on to him for the mere value of not having our center depth be highlighted by Mittelstadt, Sheahan, Eakin and Asplund.

I’d rather not set records of ineptitude and then lose the lottery and potentially Eichel.

Edited by thewookie1

I agree Staal will be moved.  He's the most likely player on the team to be shipped off at the deadline IMO.

Friedman said he fetches a 2; Dreger says 3 or 4.

I bet it's a 3, but I'd be happy to be wrong if we can get a 2nd for him.

I could stand taking a gritty marginal forward with a pick to cushion the kids whenever I trade Staal, Hall, Montour, Miller, et al.  Some of them can play up here, but with guys who play the game right.  For reference, look at the last game at the Aud.  Many of those players did not have long careers in the NHL, but we remember them fondly for a good reason: they let it all hang out every game.  I could handle watching those kind of players here aside from Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson, Cozens, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Bryson, et al.  Among other things, maybe they will bring a spirit we have not seen from this team since the unlikely run to their last playoff spot.

As a defence of the players on the tank teams of 2013-5, I went  to 5 games towards the end of the 2014 season and 10 games in the 2014-5 season.  They were overmatched, but they did work hard.  They were really down on themselves when undermined by GMTM, which may have looked like quitting to others.  But they did grimly play the best they could.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

But isn’t that all we’ve been doing this past 6 years? Throwing as many youngsters and random bot 6 guys at the problem and hoping it plugs the leak.

Wookie gets my concern.

And as far as Jack is concerned, I think he's still being affected by having all that weight on his shoulders.  He needs the load lightened.  Man, I really hoped Staal would have provided that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

If Eichel’s season is through and depending on Cozens situation I’d be looking to hold on to him for the mere value of not having our center depth be highlighted by Mittelstadt, Sheahan, Eakin and Asplund.

I’d rather not set records of ineptitude and then lose the lottery and potentially Eichel.

I would still debate your point if Staal was actually preventing any of things you and Weave are worried about.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I would still debate your point if Staal was actually preventing any of things you and Weave are worried about.

Well at minimum he has been helping Cozens + as Cozens himself has mentioned it. 

The other reason I was getting at is I want Adams to play hardball is to prevent teams from thinking he'll crack under the pressure and cave on demands. If no one offers better than a 4th for Staal, I'd just take my ball and go home. If one team offers a 3rd and 5th, I'd likely say yes but we need Adams to show he isn't weak.

Edited by thewookie1