2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

I still feel we should serious take a run at Sam Bennett.

This team lack many things seemingly on the ice and having a semblance of an energy line that plays fast, finishes checks and can help create team enthusiasm would be a great idea and help fulfill Eichel and Dahlin's belief we need some new spark plug of some kind.

10 hours ago, LaPerreausek said:

Before any Eichel trade would even be considered we would need a new President, GM, and coach....The culture needs to change and that starts at the top.

Why would this backwards organization do something like that? You are talking rationally. That is the exact opposite of what this franchise EVER does. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You'd seriously trade Eichel for those two AND take a salary dump?

More like send a salary dump.

Start with two of Byfield, Turcotte, and Valardi, and one of Kaliyev and Bjornfot.  Add and subtract from there. 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Start with two of Byfield, Turcotte, and Valardi, and one of Kaliyev and Bjornfot.  Add and subtract from there. 

Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Bjornfoot, and something else keeps me on the phone. Maybe you convince me somehow that you can keep byfield (who I don't love) and we put in something else but at the very least I need 3 of Turcotte, Byfield, Kupari, Bjornfoot. 

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

those two, something else whether it's another player or a pick or picks and a dump because without the dump they don't have space to take him. In the summer they do.  And by a dump I mean like a year of Jeff Carter at 5 point something.

Adrian Kempe gives them enough space I think. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman makes it seem like we are definitely moving him 

On 3/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, LaPerreausek said:

Before any Eichel trade would even be considered we would need a new President, GM, and coach....The culture needs to change and that starts at the top.

100%

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Going back to the fake NYR rumors from last year, they are absolutely going to talk this into existence if the seeds aren't already sown. No doubt in my mind 

The tides are in motion, there are people with influence willing it into existence. 

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

You'd seriously trade Eichel for those two AND take a salary dump?

More like send a salary dump.

Might be all we get if we insist upon including Skinner like you mentioned 

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Going back to the fake NYR rumors from last year, they are absolutely going to talk this into existence if the seeds aren't already sown. No doubt in my mind 

Welcome back man, and yes. The NHL media wants Eichel on the NYR for the publicity so they have been pushing that narrative. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The tides are in motion, there are people with influence willing it into existence. 

Might be all we get if we insist upon including Skinner like you mentioned 

Skinner would have to agree to waive his NMC. I don't see that happening. He's close to his childhood home, I think we are stuck with that contract for awhile yet.

Chad DeDomincis posted these rumors at His Website xBuffalo 

Rumors and Team Rumblings

1. The Sabres were out there looking for options on the blue line when Jake McCabe and Will Borgen were injured. They made a call to a former division rival in the Montreal Canadiens. Brett Kulak and Victor Mete were two players they expressed interest in. Both have been in and out of the lineup.

Mete requested a trade from the Canadiens about a month ago, but Marc Bergevin has stated he’s not interested in moving the young defender at this point. He’s a restricted free agent in the summer.

Kulak is an underrated player that is an “analytics darling.” The 27-year-old would be a player that could be around next season as well. He has one more year on his contract after this season with a $1.85 million cap hit.

2. Jon Merrill is another player they inquired about. He’s currently playing with the Detroit Red Wings on a one-year deal.

3. The last defenseman that I’m aware of that they inquired about was Alex Goligoski of the Arizona Coyotes. The catch here is that he carries a modified no-trade clause where he submits an eight-team no-trade list. The cap hit ($5.75 million) is also an issue here for the Sabres. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

4. Interesting tidbit that I dropped on the podcast is that the Sabres have an interest in John Gibson. They acquired about his availability in the offseason and then again about a month into the season. Both times they were told by the Ducks that they have no interest in moving him at this time.

If he was to be made available in the offseason, they’ll likely try to be involved in the sweepstakes.

5. Sticking with goaltenders I’d keep an eye on Antti Raanta in the offseason as a free agent option. He’s a player that they like. I don’t think it’s likely they’d make a move for him to give up assets during the season with the quarantine situation and place in the standings.

6. Sam Bennett is a player the Sabres called about, but it was more of a kicking tires call.

7. The Sabres and Taylor Hall’s representatives were scheduled to meet this week to begin very early discussions on a contract extension. We’ll see where it goes as the season goes along, but I’d put it at a 60/40 chance he remains with the club.

Believe it or not, he has enjoyed his time in Buffalo. It’s also likely any extension would come in below the $8 million he’s making this season on a short to mid-term deal (3-4 years).

8. This last one is directly related to the Sabres front office. Jason Nightingale and Kevyn Adams had an interest in expanding the analytics department. In fact, they had a list of candidates they were interested in back in the summer. However, their plans to expand the department this season were shut down.

The financial situation with the team due to the pandemic played a factor here. Hopefully, they’ll come back to it down the road.

Again, these are just some rumors that were passed along to me over the last month or so. Nothing is close or even progressed past initial interest that I’m aware of at least. I hope this helped take your mind off the bad hockey team for a little bit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

1. The Sabres were out there looking for options on the blue line when Jake McCabe and Will Borgen were injured. They made a call to a former division rival in the Montreal Canadiens. Brett Kulak and Victor Mete were two players they expressed interest in. Both have been in and out of the lineup.

Mete requested a trade from the Canadiens about a month ago, but Marc Bergevin has stated he’s not interested in moving the young defender at this point. He’s a restricted free agent in the summer.

Kulak is an underrated player that is an “analytics darling.” The 27-year-old would be a player that could be around next season as well. He has one more year on his contract after this season with a $1.85 million cap hit.

2. Jon Merrill is another player they inquired about. He’s currently playing with the Detroit Red Wings on a one-year deal.

3. The last defenseman that I’m aware of that they inquired about was Alex Goligoski of the Arizona Coyotes. The catch here is that he carries a modified no-trade clause where he submits an eight-team no-trade list. The cap hit ($5.75 million) is also an issue here for the Sabres. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

4. Interesting tidbit that I dropped on the podcast is that the Sabres have an interest in John Gibson. They acquired about his availability in the offseason and then again about a month into the season. Both times they were told by the Ducks that they have no interest in moving him at this time.

If he was to be made available in the offseason, they’ll likely try to be involved in the sweepstakes.

5. Sticking with goaltenders I’d keep an eye on Antti Raanta in the offseason as a free agent option. He’s a player that they like. I don’t think it’s likely they’d make a move for him to give up assets during the season with the quarantine situation and place in the standings.

6. Sam Bennett is a player the Sabres called about, but it was more of a kicking tires call.

7. The Sabres and Taylor Hall’s representatives were scheduled to meet this week to begin very early discussions on a contract extension. We’ll see where it goes as the season goes along, but I’d put it at a 60/40 chance he remains with the club.

Believe it or not, he has enjoyed his time in Buffalo. It’s also likely any extension would come in below the $8 million he’s making this season on a short to mid-term deal (3-4 years).

8. This last one is directly related to the Sabres front office. Jason Nightingale and Kevyn Adams had an interest in expanding the analytics department. In fact, they had a list of candidates they were interested in back in the summer. However, their plans to expand the department this season were shut down.

The financial situation with the team due to the pandemic played a factor here. Hopefully, they’ll come back to it down the road.

Again, these are just some rumors that were passed along to me over the last month or so. Nothing is close or even progressed past initial interest that I’m aware of at least. I hope this helped take your mind off the bad hockey team for a little bit.

I can honestly say that is nice to hear that the GM isn't sleeping at the wheel. 

I wouldn't resign Hall though

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So, a whole lot of “inquiring” and little to no action, as always, as ever. 

So disappointing 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I could get behind a trade for Gibson.  His stats aren’t great the past two years, but every time I see him, he’s stellar.  Anaheim is a much better trade partner for us, if we are looking to deal Eichel.  Zegras and Comtois are enticing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

So, a whole lot of “inquiring” and little to no action, as always, as ever. 

So disappointing 

Don’t forget it takes 2 to tango and we don’t want to overpay to put a bandaid  on a heavily bleeding gash. 

You also have that damn quarantine problem which makes teams even more disinterested in trades

• Like (+1) 1