2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

FWIW Eichel is Second on The Athletic Trade Board

2.  Jack Eichel, Sabres: In terms of this being a realistic trade deadline deal, this is way too high for Eichel. But in terms of star power, and a player who could change teams at some point, there’s nobody better. If it happens at all, this is likely a summer trade. Eichel’s no-trade doesn’t kick in until after the 2021-22 season so there’s no immediate rush here, only a window of time in which the Sabres retain leverage. The Sabres are struggling again and the questions about Eichel’s future have resurfaced and there is some compelling logic to seeing him end up with the Rangers, a team that has attractive young assets that could be packaged in return.

“I think at the end of the day, Jack Eichel is going to end up a New York Ranger,” predicted one executive. “I just don’t know when that’s going to be.”

But not everybody is convinced the Rangers should be the front-runner if Eichel hits the market. One source pointed out that they don’t have the high-end center it would take for an Eichel trade to make sense for the Sabres. Instead, he thought the Kings were a better match.

“LA is a team that people should be looking long and hard with (Quinton) Byfield, (Alex) Turcotte and plenty of other pieces,” he said. “And does Buffalo really want to play against this guy a bunch every year or do they want him in the Western Conference?”

Another fun debate centers around what it might take to acquire a franchise center like Eichel. “I would give up a lot for him. Talent-wise, he’s a top 10 forward in the league,” said another executive. “If they want to trade him, they are going to get a lot for him.”

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I will legitimately quit this team if we trade Eichel

I don't know if I would quit this team 100%, but I would be heartbroken and the closest I've ever been.  In short, the suffering of the last seven years will have all been for ***** if they part out the single most important player asset to the franchise.  Basically, for me not to quit, the return for Eichel would have to be so ridiculously high and bulletproof to risk, that it's essentially impossible for an NHL team to make any sort of reasonable hockey trade to fulfill that.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I don't know if I would quit this team 100%, but I would be heartbroken and the closest I've ever been.  In short, the suffering of the last seven years will have all been for ***** if they part out the single most important player asset to the franchise.  Basically, for me not to quit, the return for Eichel would have to be so ridiculously high and bulletproof to risk, that it's essentially impossible for an NHL team to make any sort of reasonable hockey trade to fulfill that.

The return won't be that high.  It will be lots of picks, project prospects, and a cap dump or two.  People will pay a lot, but they know they have us over a barrel.  We will have to take some crap back.  Think the O'Reilly trade with less garbage coming our way.  The only hope I have is a good second half of the season which, for some reason, gives hope to Eichel et al. to stay.  And the only way I see that is with a coaching change.

I hate this.  I hated the tank.  I hated the GM undermining the coach and players in order to tank.  I hated the overpayment trades.  I hated the later returns for the assets from the overpayment trades.  I hated the rosters the GMs created.  I hated the misuse of talent by the coaches.  I am a believer in depth, ensemble play, good centres, good defence, and solid goaltending, and overall grit.  We have yet to have all of them since 2010-1.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The coach and company better go before any talk of Eichel being traded! But I fear he's getting to the point of get me out of hear discussions with his agent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

This was me up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. No way do we trade Eichel. But this was supposed to be the year. This was the team that was at least going to contend for a playoff spot. It’s not working. We’ve gone through coaches and GMs with the same results. Maybe it’s time to blow it up again..

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

This was me up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. No way do we trade Eichel. But this was supposed to be the year. This was the team that was at least going to contend for a playoff spot. It’s not working. We’ve gone through coaches and GMs with the same results. Maybe it’s time to blow it up again..

I had 0 hope leading into this season. I got some flack for it and rightfully so, objectively we looked improved on paper, but this team is just rotten to the core and Adams/Krueger don't know how to fix that. Until they're gone, I have no faith

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I had 0 hope leading into this season. I got some flack for it and rightfully so, objectively we looked improved on paper, but this team is just rotten to the core and Adams/Krueger don't know how to fix that. Until they're gone, I have no faith

We ARE improved on paper.  That's why RK gets the bulk of my ire.

• There are two clearly NHL-quality top-2 lines with Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart and Hall-Staal-Cozens/Olofsson.
  • There has to be a functional bottom 6 with Cozens/Olofsson, Mittlestadt, Asplund, Lazar, Okposo, Sheahan, Eakin, Reider, and Thompson.
  • We had the makings of a solid defence before the injuries: McCabe-Ristolainen, Dahlin-Borgen, Bryson-Jokiharu, Montour-Miller, and Irwin-Davidson.
  • Yes, goaltending is not what we would like it to be, but as LGR4GM pointed out, the Sabres are statistically neutral in goal.

The problem is that this line-up can't score at even strength.  The defence had no chemistry to start with, which led to numerous times where the Sabres should have been able to rush out of the D-zone, but could not.  But that top-6 should not have horrendous goalless droughts between them.  Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart could score for most of the season when the third best line was Sheary-Rodrigues-Pominville.  IMHO, with all but Sam Reinhart having comparatively down offencive years, that implies that the coaches' offencive system is the culprit.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

We ARE improved on paper.  That's why RK gets the bulk of my ire.

• There are two clearly NHL-quality top-2 lines with Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart and Hall-Staal-Cozens/Olofsson.
  • There has to be a functional bottom 6 with Cozens/Olofsson, Mittlestadt, Asplund, Lazar, Okposo, Sheahan, Eakin, Reider, and Thompson.
  • We had the makings of a solid defence before the injuries: McCabe-Ristolainen, Dahlin-Borgen, Bryson-Jokiharu, Montour-Miller, and Irwin-Davidson.
  • Yes, goaltending is not what we would like it to be, but as LGR4GM pointed out, the Sabres are statistically neutral in goal.

The problem is that this line-up can't score at even strength.  The defence had no chemistry to start with, which led to numerous times where the Sabres should have been able to rush out of the D-zone, but could not.  But that top-6 should not have horrendous goalless droughts between them.  Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart could score for most of the season when the third best line was Sheary-Rodrigues-Pominville.  IMHO, with all but Sam Reinhart having comparatively down offencive years, that implies that the coaches' offencive system is the culprit.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart have played a total of 4-5 minutes together this season, and they looked good, generated some scoring chances, had some good zone time, moved the puck well.    Hall-Staal-Cozens has looked pretty good too actually, Cozens being the only guy who scores tho, so naturally RK sits him after they put up a goose egg on Saturday.... ***** genius. 

What I see 5v5 is they like to move the puck around the perimeter, back to the D, down to the corner, behind the net.... at some point you need to force pucks to the middle of the ice otherwise you'll never generate enough high danger chances.     They're bottom 10 in the league in high danger chances per 60min.... and top 10 in low danger (perimeter) shots.    Not a recipe for success, especially when your high danger shooting percentage is hovering around 10% (league average is around 17-18%).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

If there are hockey gods that need to be appeased, shedding the ill gotten tank gains might be the appeasement needed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

A Leafs Fan who listens to the radio appearances of Dreger, Friedman and LeBrun on the various Canadian Radio Stations as well as WGR and tweets what is said 

So, hearsay of hearsay and conjecture?

Sounds ligit.