2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, inkman said:

What are the point of his tweets?  Apparently to get likes, follows, etc.  I don’t know if it helps him financially but those tweets are just slightly more informative than Eklund at this point.  

The point of this particular tweet?  To inform people that the Sabres are not only in search of a goalie, but that they progressed to a negotiation type phase.  That’s it.

So basically are you are upset that he is a tease, or do you think he is full of BS and fabricating things?

58 minutes ago, Curt said:

The point of this particular tweet?  To inform people that the Sabres are not only in search of a goalie, but that they progressed to a negotiation type phase.  That’s it.

So basically are you are upset that he is a tease, or do you think he is full of BS and fabricating things?

Maybe he is the worst kind of tease, teasing fabricated things.  We've all been there.  Flashbacks and visceral reactions are excusable.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Winning would help. Competency at any level would also help. Personally, there are things about my life right now that are problematic. It’s my own doing, nonetheless, it’s made life less enjoyable.  

I'm sure winning would help.  I hope the things outside of sports get better for you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I don’t think that this tweet is over the top suggestive.  It doesn’t say anything definitive.  It says what it says.

This bugs me.  "Complicated deal" sounds like either there are a lot of pieces, at least one other team is involved, or someone somewhere has a contract issue to be dealt with.  Those things take a lot of time which, frankly, we don't have.

The Sabres have a lot of try, are seemingly right there ??? but their goaltending is so suspect. The 3-3 goal against Washington from behind the net simply cannot happen to this team. They simply aren’t good enough to have those types of goals take place. 
I’d  look into Fleury for sure. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is better then Hutton and probably Ullmark.  He also brings credibility and the knowledge how to play winning hockey. 

I completely agree, at this point if they were to take a contract back longer than 2 years I'd definitely do it. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is better then Hutton and probably Ullmark.  He also brings credibility and the knowledge how to play winning hockey. 

He isn't what he formerly was. If I had a choice between Ullmark and MAF it would  without bothering to put any thought into it be Ullmark. Because of his contract price and length it would be better to keep Hutton. Our major issue is getting our scorers to have a better conversion rate for the chances that they have. Our goaltending isn't elite but so far it hasn't been the main issue for us.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am in disagreement with basically all of you on what MAF currently is. I would take Ullmark over him easily and think he might be a smidge better than Hutton. But thank you for answering, it was good to hear what others thought. 

Dude are you feeling neglected? 😀 You may be right or wrong but I agree with you in that at this stage of his career a backup GK for 7M on this squad seems way too much to pay for. They need an upgrade though so depending on who is available I'd rather go for a younger guy that doesn't restrict your cap.

As a pure roster addition, Fleury is a clear upgrade on Hutton.

If he gets hot, or blooms being reunited with Bales (50/50 at best IMO) he could be an upgrade on Linus.

So on that level, I'm definitely interested.

As an asset, his play/contract gives him a negative value, so any trade would have to address that issue. (Thus the "complicated" in the original Tweet)

• Like (+1) 3

For an off day discussion purposes only. 

Lottery Protected 2021 First, Risto and a prospect to Anaheim for John Gibson. 

He’s 27 and has seven years remaining at 6.4 Million. 

Solidifies a large position of weakness and makes you a playoff contender for years to come 

And I highly doubt Anaheim makes the trade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Solidifies a large position of weakness and makes you a playoff contender for years to come 

I would do that.

No way Anaheim does, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

NFW. That’s a big long term contract. Now if they’ll take Skinner straight up then it’s a deal. 

13 minutes ago, freester said:

NFW. That’s a big long term contract. Now if they’ll take Skinner straight up then it’s a deal. 

The Sabres would be getting an elite goaltender for 5 of those 7 years minimum, which Corresponds with your core hitting its peak as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I like Risto more than most around here.

I also love John Gibson and believe in having an unquestioned long-term starter as part of smart franchise management.

I do the trade, so long as it's not a key prospect. I also counter with UPL instead of the first.

Very interesting take on Gibson in this year's Athletic goalie poll of NHL execs and goalie coaches:

7. John Gibson, Ducks

Average 2021 tier rating: 2.03

We’re going to jump to the most interesting opinion here, because most panelists really like John Gibson and think he’s an upper-echelon goalie. But one, who gave him a 3.5 rating (tied for his lowest), explained why we might be seeing the downward arc of his career.

“I don’t see him working at his craft. I don’t see parts of his game that have really gotten better,” this panelist said. “There are older guys in the league — look at Jacob Markstrom. His game has changed quite a bit. Even a guy like Freddie Andersen has made adjustments. I feel like Gibson is collecting his paycheck. Would that be different if they had a better team in front of him?… I’m hard on him because I feel like he could be so much more.”

A GM countered that opinion.

“I disagree,” he said. “I see John Gibson play with my own two eyes. He didn’t have a good year last year, but he’s a very good goalie.”

But a goalie coach, who likes Gibson, echoed the notion that his style may be dated.

“I see his numbers every year, and they’re unbelievable, but you look at his style from a goalie coach’s point of view — he has a touch of old school to him,” he said. “It’s not pretty. There are certain parts of his game I don’t trust. But I give him credit: He’s a workhorse who can handle the load.”

Said another: “Put him on a good team and he could be a top guy.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Who here thinks MA Fleury makes us better and if so by how many wins?

Depends on when we get him.  If we got him today, and he splits time with Linus and gets  25 starts in place of Hutton he could maybe win 15 at best, which could be 7-8 more than  Hutton - based on Hutton’s past two season of fading away.   

of course we need help with his contract, thus it’s complicated.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Friedman and Seravalli reporting Vince Dunn can be had out of the Blues, they're looking to garner a 1st rdr for him.

Anyone know anything about this 6 ft tall, 210lb LHD?

He's very good and worth a first round pick. But not from the Sabres, way too risky to be trading picks which very easily could turn into being top 5 pick.

• Like (+1) 2