2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

29 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Right now, at this exact moment, Dylan Cozens has never been worth more.

I don't agree that his current value is at its highest level. If he turns out to be the player that some of us believe his value will increase even more. For me, he is a no touch player. In addition, as a player on his entry contract his value increases for the Sabres. 

Edited by JohnC

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think the Sabres could make this trade without sending out one of their expensive guys.  They aren't trading Eichel and CBJ isn't taking KO or Skinner.  That leaves Reino.

Ya, I thought about that as well. Another move would have to made, most likely a Risto deal. But, it's the slow season, so why not entertain the idea to fill a couple of hours of the countdown to the season.

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I didn't say that he won't be worth more in the future.  I said that he is worth more right this second than he has been in the past.

When I talk about the future I'm also referring to the near future which includes this year. I think that his play this season will indicate how good he is and can be. 

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Would you not trade him for PLD?

I would, and I'd want a right handed RW'er to come in through another move to offset Reinharts loss. I do believe Buffalo has the assets to acquire PLD without Cozens involved. How that would shake out is interesting. We have some good young guys in the pipeline now, Pekar, Cozens, Peterka? and a couple of D men that may work out, but outside of Cozens, some of these guys will post expansion draft ready. I'd like to see Eichel get some longer term help than Staal and Hall is all.

Edited by Scottysabres

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I would, and I'd want a right handed RW'er to come in through another move to offset Reinharts loss. I do believe Buffalo has the assets to acquire PLD without Cozens involved. How that would shake out is interesting. We have some good young guys in the pipeline now, Pekar, Cozens, Peterka? and a couple of D men that may work out, but outside of Cozens, some of these guys will post expansion draft ready. I'd like to see Eichel get some longer term help than Staal and Hall is all.

One of these things is not like the other. 

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Off the top of my head:

Reinhart+ for PLD

Miller+ for Roslovic

That's an EA Sports trade tree that has no likelihood of happening, but it's fun to think about.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why is PLD worth more than Sam? Honest question. Convince somehow that Pierre-Luc Dubois is worth Reinhart plus something meaningful in a trade. 

I don't believe he is, and I wouldn't move Reinhart for him, nor would I move Cozens for him. I would like to move salary however, and I'm looking at the D. Specifically Risto. We're just spiff-balling anyways, so why not have some fun. Rittich and Gaudreau for Risto, Hutton and our 1st, Calgary has Domingue available as a back up anyways, that leaves them Hanifan to move to help better them, sling Gaudreau for PLD and Columbus 1st. Gaudreau is a bit older at 27, but if PLD wants out and they want a gamer, Gaudreau seems viable. Calgary gets an RD, Columbus gets an established scorer to replace PLD, Buffalo gets PLD, a back up goalie and replaces their 1st rdr. Money checks out on Cap Friendly. Some secondary pieces may be in play, but not overly concerned.

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why is PLD worth more than Sam? Honest question. Convince somehow that Pierre-Luc Dubois is worth Reinhart plus something meaningful in a trade. 

Similar offence, but younger, harder to play against, more years of team control and a centre.

But to me the meaningful is a second, or equivalent vet, max.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Would you not trade him for PLD?

I would not. Sometimes the issue isn't whether a player is better or not as it is with the fit for a team. I'm a Reinhart fan who believes he is undervalued because his subtleties on the ice are not always recognized. By no means am I diminishing Dubois. 

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, I'm trying to avoid losing Cozens.  I don't think you're getting PLD without including either Cozens or Reino (since Eichel and Dahlin are off the table).

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Straight up? Maybe but I am not adding anything of value. 

OK, but I don't think CBJ will do the deal without another good asset, e.g. Quinn or next year's #1.  You might be able to get them to take Borgen or Mitts instead, but I doubt it.  There will be plenty of interested buyers.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I would not. Sometimes the issue isn't whether a player is better or not as it is with the fit for a team. I'm a Reinhart fan who believes he is undervalued because his subtleties on the ice are not always recognized. By no means am I diminishing Dubois. 

I like Reino too, and would only trade him for someone who is clearly better -- but PLD is clearly better for the reasons @dudacek points out.

53 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I like Reino too, and would only trade him for someone who is clearly better -- but PLD is clearly better for the reasons @dudacek points out.

If there is a one on one exchange I would consider it. But if the requirement was Reino plus anything more I say absolutely not. 

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm trying to avoid losing Cozens.  I don't think you're getting PLD without including either Cozens or Reino (since Eichel and Dahlin are off the table).

OK, but I don't think CBJ will do the deal without another good asset, e.g. Quinn or next year's #1.  You might be able to get them to take Borgen or Mitts instead, but I doubt it.  There will be plenty of interested buyers.

If they want Reinhart and Quinn/1st rounder, I hang up the phone and don't talk to them for the next 6 months. 

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

Similar offence, but younger, harder to play against, more years of team control and a centre.

But to me the meaningful is a second, or equivalent vet, max.

So younger, more years of team control.  That is fair and being a center is important. 

With 6 days left until the season starts, the goalie upgrade that was quite heavily rumored around here doesn't seem to be coming to fruition.

Have faith in Ullmark, but have to hope Hutton either sees less action than expected, or performs above the level we've seen over the last ~2 years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

With 6 days left until the season starts, the goalie upgrade that was quite heavily rumored around here doesn't seem to be coming to fruition.

Have faith in Ullmark, but have to hope Hutton either sees less action than expected, or performs above the level we've seen over the last ~2 years. 

Sadly, I have confidence in neither to achieve a level necessary to Cup Compete.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, LGR4GM said:

2021 1st round selection, Casey Mittelstadt, Mattias Samuelsson, conditional 2023 2nd if he re-signs.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Unfortunately it looks like you are right. 😕

On 1/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, LGR4GM said:

Straight up? Maybe but I am not adding anything of value. 

I love Sam Reinhart; he’s by far my favorite Sabre and in my opinion the most overlooked player on the team. But PLD is going to be a top 20 center in the league and that’s more valuable than a top 20 RW. Straight up Buffalo needs to make that every day. Slot Cozens with Jack, put PLD on line two with VO and Skinner and this is a better Sabres team. 

Edited by #freejame