2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

5 hours ago, LaPerreausek said:

Lol the Sabres are in a win now mode....That is hilarious...thanks for the laugh 😄😄😄

What's so funny? They are.

They have Taylor Hall on a one year deal and any more missed playoffs could put Eichel over the top to begin to demand a trade. Sabres gotta start winning and they know it. Hence, they're in "win now mode".

13 hours ago, #freejame said:

https://theathletic.com/realtime/jvJDavRtWgV9?source=app_brief_share

because what’s more fun than rehashing Pat Kane to the Buffalo Sabres. 

Bloody hell ...

2 hours ago, Reino23 said:

They have Taylor Hall on a one year deal and any more missed playoffs could put Eichel over the top to begin to demand a trade. Sabres gotta start winning and they know it. Hence, they're in "win now mode".

True. Win now mode Is different and often confused with “They will win it all now mode”.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Lebrun reporting the PL Dubois won’t be coming to camp in Columbus and he’s hearing that he might be looking for a change of scenery, before adding that might just be wishful thinking.

He’d be the long-term solution at 2C. Cozens would almost certainly need to be on the table to get into that conversation.

On a more realistic note, the Dubois contract may factor into our chances of acquiring Korpisalo.

(Cross-quoting from the Around the NHL thread.)

PLD would be a fantastic addition.  Going forward with Eichel and him as the top 2 centers would be amazing.

I don't doubt that they'd ask for Cozens.  Logically the Sabres should give him up for PLD, but I'm not sure I can get there emotionally.

I'd give them Reino, Mittlestadt and either Quinn or next year's #1 in a heartbeat for him though.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

PLD would be a fantastic addition.  Going forward with Eichel and him as the top 2 centers would be amazing.

I don't doubt that they'd ask for Cozens.  Logically the Sabres should give him up for PLD, but I'm not sure I can get there emotionally.

I'd give them Reino, Mittlestadt and either Quinn or next year's #1 in a heartbeat for him though.

That's lottsa love for PLD...yes, he's very talented but not for Reino, Casey and either Quinn IMO

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

PLD is what we hope Cozens gets close to becoming, so the trade would work. 

The downside is the Sabres wouldn’t get the financial benefit of having Cozens on His ELC, so Buffalo would have to  Risto or Montour for the cap to work 

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'd imagine the price for PLD would be Cozens and then some.  He looked phenomenal for Columbus in the playoffs last year.

Even if we could make the cap work, I don't think we'd like the price for him.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, Reino23 said:

I guess I never thought of "win now" as in something other than going for the cup...But, ya I agree they better start doing something soon like at least start making the playoffs or it wouldn't surprise me if Jack asked for a trade 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You start with Cozens, 2021 1st and borgen then.   I'd rather develop cozens then.

I'm not discounting the cost mind you, but I've read asks like this before and they turn out to be a bit off. And the Sabres are most definitely in win now mode in my opinion, give Eichel's assuredly completely dissatisfied here in Buffalo to this point, and who would blame him. But a 22 yr old 50/60 point top 6 C/LW that is team controlled and under a reasonable 5 mil contract for 2 seasons, would appear to be a great replacement for Hall at LW at a reasonable aav, thereby keeping dollars free for Dahlin, who's sure to get a nice raise and guys like Staal, who are here on a 1 yr deal. If a trade like this is made, it's for both immediate and long term viability with a known commodity.

Like I posted above, if I'm Adams, I'm inquiring, no harm in having the conversations, trying to find a workable deal, it costs nothing to that point anyways.

20 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'd seriously inquire if I'm Adams.

I wouldn't. A prospect such as Cozens plus additional assets would most likely be part of a deal for Dubois. That type of deal would put the organization in a cap bind when the Dahlin and other contracts come up. If Hall regains his MVP form there would be little chance to sign him if another expensive trade was made. It's not unreasonable to believe that Cozens in another year or so will be a second line caliber player who would also be playing on a first contract cost basis. Dubois certainly would be an appealing player but the ramifications for dealing for him would result in precluding later personnel options. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I wouldn't. A prospect such as Cozens plus additional assets would most likely be part of a deal for Dubois. That type of deal would put the organization in a cap bind when the Dahlin and other contracts come up. If Hall regains his MVP form there would be little chance to sign him if another expensive trade was made. It's not unreasonable to believe that Cozens in another year or so will be a second line caliber player who would also be playing on a first contract cost basis. Dubois certainly would be an appealing player but the ramifications for dealing for him would result in precluding later personnel options. 

As I eluded to in the post above, most of these estimations on cost are skewed to an extent. Trade deals for top 6 talent have in point of fact occured without assets that were heavily touted in the past. But, in the interest of meaningful disclosure, as, once again I point to above, we are in the win now mode. Eichel supersedes Cozens by volumes, and as of last season, Eichel isn't happy. You build for immediate help in my opinion, not for a couple years from now, and that's where I view Cozens, a couple seasons away still.

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

As I eluded to in the post above, most of these estimations on cost are skewed to an extent. Trade deals for top 6 talent have in point of fact occured without assets that were heavily touted in the past. But, in the interest of meaningful disclosure, as, once again I point to above, we are in the win now mode. Eichel supersedes Cozens by volumes, and as of last season, Eichel isn't happy. You build for immediate help in my opinion, not for a couple years from now, and that's where I view Cozens, a couple seasons away still.

I understand your very well reasoned response. I respectfully disagree with it. I wouldn't trade Cozens under any circumstances. 

As far as Eichel's happiness or not I'm not worried about it to the extent of allowing it to be a determining factor for any deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

I don't think the Sabres could make this trade without sending out one of their expensive guys.  They aren't trading Eichel and CBJ isn't taking KO or Skinner.  That leaves Reino.

Reino and Cozens is an overpay, no?

Just now, dudacek said:

Reino and Cozens is an overpay, no?

Absolutely.  It would have to be Reino plus some combination of Mitts, Quinn, next year's #1 and a defenseman other than Dahlin.

CBJ might not accept, but that would still be a strong offer, and I'm skeptical that they'll end up getting a better established player than Reino in any trade.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Absolutely.  It would have to be Reino plus some combination of Mitts, Quinn, next year's #1 and a defenseman other than Dahlin.

CBJ might not accept, but that would still be a strong offer, and I'm skeptical that they'll end up getting a better established player than Reino in any trade.

Definitely we add to Reino because of Dubois position and physical game.

But he's not more talented or more productive. I see it as kinda like Drury for Dumont and ....?