2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

You speak as if our early first round prospect is a slam dunk future top six center. History doesn’t support that calculation, odds wise. Obviously I hope he will be though. 

I’m sorry but your assertion that you wouldn’t trade a top prospect (who could still be a bust in theory) for a 31 Patrick Kane WITH partial salary retained is by far more over the top than anything in the article. No offense but you’re over correcting IMO.

I'm not over-correcting. What history doesn't support is dealing away a high draftee who in his first year as a pro in the juniors demonstrated that he is one of the best players/prospects with players in his age group. It would be impossible to say for sure how good he will be but to make the argument that theoretically he can be a bust is a stretch especially after what you have seen of him in his first year after being drafted. I'm very confident that Cozens will not be dealt in a deal for Kane or in any other imagined proposed deal. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not over-correcting. What history doesn't support is dealing away a high draftee who in his first year as a pro in the juniors demonstrated that he is one of the best players/prospects with players in his age group. It would be impossible to say for sure how good he will be but to make the argument that theoretically he can be a bust is a stretch especially after what you have seen of him in his first year after being drafted. I'm very confident that Cozens will not be dealt in a deal for Kane or in any other imagined proposed deal. 

He’s been absolutely crushing it in the WHL, admittedly. But beware of over valuing our prospects. As Sabres fans we tend to be notorious for that. He is our top prospect, but still a prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone has a tendency to over value their prospects but Cozens is as good as gold. If not for Eichel, Cozens would probably be your 1C in 3 years. Having him behind Eichel will be envious in a few years. You don't trade him for Kane because Kane only has 3 years on his contract and you don't want to lose one of your best players when you are hoping to consistently contend for the cup. Cozens, on the other hand, should be developing into one of the best 2Cs in the game at the right time. If  you want to trade Cozens, trade him to the Jets.

If Kane is traded, it will be to a team that is ready to win the cup right now like the Caps or Vegas or someone of that ilk. Maybe even Pitt if the numbers worked, but I doubt very much that Kane and Toews will be traded even if it is the right thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Cozens is 18 or 19 yrs old who is expected to be our 2C in a year or two. It would make no sense to deal this player with expected high end potential for a 31 yr. old player who is likely to have a few more years of top tier production. The Chicago Blackhawks have won two or three Stanley Cups with their core players built with high draft picks such as Kane and Toews. So what you are suggesting is not to follow the standard model for long term success and instead go for the expedient short term gain. That's not a path that I want to follow. As far as I am concerned Cozens is an untouchable. 

Could you explain exactly what "expected high end potential" is?

The reason this trade would never take place is just Cozens isn't nearly enough.

I'd be thinking about the possibility of losing Hall after a year.  

46 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Could you explain exactly what "expected high end potential" is?

The reason this trade would never take place is just Cozens isn't nearly enough.

I'd be thinking about the possibility of losing Hall after a year.  

I'm not sure what you are getting at. When I say high end I'm saying that he is capable of becoming a legitimate second line center. Whether Cozens is enough or not in a proposed deal isn't an issue for me. As I said before it doesn't make sense to me to deal away your best prospect in the system for a 31 year old player. It's not going to happen. 

As far as losing Hall after next year I'm not worried about that this year. I'm just hope that he regains his elite form for us, and then deal with the retention issue the following year. 

Patty Kane for his age 32, 33, 34 seasons is not the guy that I want to trade premium long term assets and $9.5M in cap space to acquire.

Yes he is good and yes he helped Chicago win 3 Cups, but please note that Chicago has not been able to get out of the 1st round since they started paying Kane and Toews $10.5M each, 5 years ago.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Patty Kane for his age 32, 33, 34 seasons is not the guy that I want to trade premium long term assets and $9.5M in cap space to acquire.

Yes he is good and yes he helped Chicago win 3 Cups, but please note that Chicago has not been able to get out of the 1st round since they started paying Kane and Toews $10.5M each, 5 years ago.

You make a good point about how their contracts would weigh down a team willing to deal for either one of those players. The Sabres are starting to get a core of younger players who will get elevated contracts with their next contracts. It would be a boondoggle mistake to make a high cost short term acquisition at the expense of losing financial flexibility to keep your own talent in place. If Hall has a prolific year after signing a one year deal then it would foreclose any opportunity to secure him when he becomes a free agent if we add a high cost veteran to this roster now. And if Reinhart continues his steady climb as a player the Sabres would be in a difficult cap situation to sign him. The reality is because of their bountiful contracts both Toews and Kane would be difficult for the Blackhawks to move if they wanted to do so. Those who advocate for a Kane deal are being very short sighted without recognizing the longer term implications. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, I-90 W said:

He’s been absolutely crushing it in the WHL, admittedly. But beware of over valuing our prospects. As Sabres fans we tend to be notorious for that. He is our top prospect, but still a prospect. 

You have the pulse of things just fine. 

We are really, really quite protective in here of a potential future, the same potential future we've been hearing about for a decade. It reads a little funny. And I love Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Noah Hanifin’s name surfacing in trade rumours again.
Flames need RD and young centres, Sabres need LD and a goalie.

Montour Mittelstadt Hutton for Hanifin and Gillies

I've been chewing on the Hanifin idea for some time now and I just can't find a trade that makes Calgary better.

They have a really nice setup on their left side with Gio, Hanifin, and Valimaki.  Two solid top 4 guys and a rookie with big potential.  Gio looked like he was starting to finally hit the hill in his career last year, and the hope among their fans is that Valimaki or a combination of Valimaki and Hanifin will be ready to take over that top role relatively soon.  If I'm a Flames fan, my hope would be that Gio - Hanifin - Valimaki gradually turns into Valimaki - Hanifin - Gio.

And on their right side, Andersson and Tanev should have the top 4 locked up.  The trade I could see them trying to make is to move one of their depth lefties, Kylington for one, for a similar caliber righty.  But I don't think we have much to offer there within the cap.

I think Hanifin is a very intriguing target for us, but barring an injury to Andersson or Tanev I just don't see a fit.

1 hour ago, Shootica said:

I've been chewing on the Hanifin idea for some time now and I just can't find a trade that makes Calgary better.

They have a really nice setup on their left side with Gio, Hanifin, and Valimaki.  Two solid top 4 guys and a rookie with big potential.  Gio looked like he was starting to finally hit the hill in his career last year, and the hope among their fans is that Valimaki or a combination of Valimaki and Hanifin will be ready to take over that top role relatively soon.  If I'm a Flames fan, my hope would be that Gio - Hanifin - Valimaki gradually turns into Valimaki - Hanifin - Gio.

And on their right side, Andersson and Tanev should have the top 4 locked up.  The trade I could see them trying to make is to move one of their depth lefties, Kylington for one, for a similar caliber righty.  But I don't think we have much to offer there within the cap.

I think Hanifin is a very intriguing target for us, but barring an injury to Andersson or Tanev I just don't see a fit.

This makes sense to me too, but nonetheless Hanifin's name keeps coming up.

I think he's a bit of phlegmatic player who frustrates fans and coaches who see him on a regular basis by not delivering what his skill set promises, or his contract demands.

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Noah Hanifin’s name surfacing in trade rumours again.
Flames need RD and young centres, Sabres need LD and a goalie.

Montour Mittelstadt Hutton for Hanifin and Gillies

Who exactly is Gillies; I can't find him on any Flames' roster?

My trade from a while back was 

To BUF

Hanifin, Noah

Rittich, David ($1,375,000 retained)

Ryan, Derek ($1,300,000 retained)

To CGY

Ristolainen, Rasmus

Hutton, Carter

Mittelstadt, Casey

2021 2nd round pick (BUF)

With Montour vs Risto it would be

To BUF

Hanifin, Noah

Rittich, David

To CGY

Hutton, Carter

Mittelstadt, Casey

Montour, Brandon

In the latter case we take on 150k cap and lose maneuverability as we would then have Hanifin and Risto's contracts.  

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Who exactly is Gillies; I can't find him on any Flames' roster?

My trade from a while back was 

To BUF

Hanifin, Noah

Rittich, David ($1,375,000 retained)

Ryan, Derek ($1,300,000 retained)

To CGY

Ristolainen, Rasmus

Hutton, Carter

Mittelstadt, Casey

2021 2nd round pick (BUF)

With Montour vs Risto it would be

To BUF

Hanifin, Noah

Rittich, David

To CGY

Hutton, Carter

Mittelstadt, Casey

Montour, Brandon

In the latter case we take on 150k cap and lose maneuverability as we would then have Hanifin and Risto's contracts.  

Sorry, meant Rittich.

Gillies was their other young goalie prospet a few years back, the one that failed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, Zamboni said:

Since Chicago views Kane, like Buffalo views Eichel or Dahlin ... Kane  leaving Chicago won’t happen unless it’s an overpayment and if he even wants to waive his NMC.

Every 8-10 months for the past 10+ years this whole Kane to Buffalo topic in different forms rears it’s ugly and unlikely head. Then phases out after 2-3 weeks. Then like clockwork ... another thread pops up eventually. Yawn.

Reminds me a lot of when some Bills fans bring up 'Lets bring Chad Kelly to the Bills because he is Jim's nephew' once a year annually

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:47 AM, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Reminds me a lot of when some Bills fans bring up 'Lets bring Chad Kelly to the Bills because he is Jim's nephew' once a year annually

Wow.  You are right -- it is really that tiresome.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:47 AM, Ruff Around The Edges said:

The difference is, of course, that Kane can actually play and hopes to end his career in Buffalo some day although. It likely now.

3 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

I remember when this thread used to be actual rumors posted by hockey insiders. Not fanboys playing NHL 20. 😇

It would be useful to separate actual trade rumors from speculation, but past experience has shown us that it's very difficult to police.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, Eleven said:

It would be useful to separate actual trade rumors from speculation, but past experience has shown us that it's very difficult to police.

I’ve been standing on my soap box about this since the first one of these threads.  Just rando people making ***** up. 

Before posting a rumor or speculation… See if a credible long-standing writer, reporter, journalist, or blogger is saying the same rumor or speculation. If the answer is no then don’t post that garbage in a thread. I don’t know maybe it’s just me but I find that rule pretty simple to follow.

• Like (+1) 2