2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

If Mitts is currently considered around the league as “high end talent” for a teams prospects pool ... the prospect pool must really really really suck ... bad.

If he has a very good first few months in the AHL, then yea, I can see him being in the consideration of developing into a “high end talent” for a teams prospect pool.

I think it's hard to argue that he doesn't have high end talent - he has the tools, it's the toolbox that's the question with him.  I'm not saying that he'd jump in and be a top player in their prospect pool.

My main point was that with Jankowski now in the fold there, I could see Arizona having internet in Mitts.  Because we've seen time and time again that when hockey managers change organizations, they have a tendency to go out and acquire their old players and draft picks.

Edited by Shootica

49 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I think it's hard to argue that he doesn't have high end talent - he has the tools, it's the toolbox that's the question with him.  I'm not saying that he'd jump in and be a top player in their prospect pool.

My main point was that with Jankowski now in the fold there, I could see Arizona having internet in Mitts.  Because we've seen time and time again that when hockey managers change organizations, they have a tendency to go out and acquire their old players and draft picks.

Jankowski was hired 16 days after Mitts was drafted and worked for Hockey Canada at the time. I’m not sure how much input He had on the selection. However as You mentioned there is the possibility of some lingering interest in Mitts by Jankowski. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jankowski was hired 16 days after Mitts was drafted and worked for Hockey Canada at the time. I’m not sure how much input He had on the selection. However as You mentioned there is the possibility of some lingering interest in Mitts by Jankowski. 

There might be some interest for Mitts around the league but what is apparent is that he doesn't have much value as an asset. The obvious reason is that to date he hasn't shown much as a NHL prospect. The best strategy to apply to him or any asset for that matter is to try to maximize it. For that to happen why not just see how he performs in training camp? What if he comes into camp in impeccable shape and competes to the point that he earns his way on to the roster. If he plays well enough but there isn't room for him on the roster then play him in Rochester where he can get extensive playing time and hopefully there will be more progression in his play. If he shows well in training camp and exhibition games his value would increase in a prospective deal. 

If it is conclusively determined by this organization that he doesn't have a future here then deal him off for whatever you can get for him. You won't get much but you won't get much in return now anyway. Mitts is 21 yrs old. If you are going to make an error in evaluating him why not make the error after giving him more time to show what he is capable of. I can comfortably say that simply I don't know if Mitts will ever make it as a NHL player. If that is the case for our evaluators then it would be wise to be more patient with him. The Sabres' organization is not overloaded with prospects to casually dismiss any players in their system. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

One way our another, Jankowski is definitely going to have an opinion on Mitts. We just don’t know if it’s a good or bad one. 

Exactly.  So many people assume that he must have a positive opinion, the same way people think that if players played together they must be friends or if a guy grew up in a certain place he must want to go back there.

As for Mitts specifically, anything they get from him, either by him winning a spot on the roster or enabling them to better their roster through trade would be a huge plus because right now I’m pretty sure they aren’t expecting anything while still hoping to be proven wrong.

My response is directed to @Curt who seems confused with my response that Jankowski might not have a definite opinion on Mitts. An earlier post by kas indicated that Jankowski is definitely going to have an opinion on Mitts. I don't believe that is necessarily the case.  Based on what the player has demonstrated so far the evaluators in Buffalo and outside the organization could just as likely have an inconclusive evaluation of him at this time. Hope this explanation clarifies the issue. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

My response is directed to @Curt who seems confused with my response that Jankowski might not have a definite opinion on Mitts. An earlier post by kas indicated that Jankowski is definitely going to have an opinion on Mitts. I don't believe that is necessarily the case.  Based on what the player has demonstrated so far the evaluators in Buffalo and outside the organization could just as likely have an inconclusive evaluation of him at this time. Hope this explanation clarifies the issue. 

He has been in an inside position for years to learn about Mitts. If he hasn’t formed an opinion himself (rare nowadays), he certainly has talked to people who have. I would be shocked if he has nothing to say about him, but if he does, then he’s going to give an opinion. Even if he doesn’t know if he’s going to be good or bad (who really does know?), then after being in a position for years to learn about him, then this certainly is an opinion too. Haven’t you read a letter of recommendation that doesn’t really say anything good or bad about someone? What does that tell you?

Let’s be frank. If the Arizona GM asks Jankowski about Mitts, do you think he’s just going to respond with verifiable facts that you or I could provide? If you want to get into semantics, sure, there is a non-0% chance he would provide strictly facts, but come on. His new job is to evaluate talent, so if his GM asks for his thoughts, he’s not going to “I really don’t know. I can’t tell one way or another”. 

Edited by kas23

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

He has been in an inside position for years to learn about Mitts. If he hasn’t formed an opinion himself (rare nowadays), he certainly has talked to people who have. I would be shocked if he has nothing to say about him, but if he does, then he’s going to give an opinion. Even if he doesn’t know if he’s going to be good or bad (who really does know?), then after being in a position for years to learn about him, then this certainly is an opinion too. Haven’t you read a letter of recommendation that doesn’t really say anything good or bad about someone? What does that tell you?

Let’s be frank. If the Arizona GM asks Jankowski about Mitts, do you think he’s just going to respond with verifiable facts that you or I could provide? If you want to get into semantics, sure, there is a non-0% chance he would provide strictly facts, but come on. His new job is to evaluate talent, so if his GM asks for his thoughts, he’s not going to “I really don’t know. I can’t tell one way or another”. 

I'm not even sure that the staff of the Sabres are sure what Mitts's prospects are. And he is in their system. It is still an open question for this young player who has not played up to expectations. Your post used the word definitely. That's not a word that I would consider apt here for an in or outside evaluator. 

With respect to your analogy of a non-committal recommendation that is my point. A non-committal recommendation is a non-committal recommendation. It is a vague and non-specific response that means "I don't know for sure" and "yet to be determined." What it doesn't mean is that it is a definite determination one way or the other. That was basically my point.   

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Good catch, for whatever reason I thought he was here longer than he actually was.  That pretty much throws out the idea I had.

On another note, isn't Jonas Johansson lined up to be a group 6 UFA next offseason?.  I don't consider myself an expert at the CBA, but he seems to meet all the criteria as long as he plays less than 22 NHL games next season.

In that case, we'd have nobody that can be left unprotected to meet the league's expansion draft rules.  I think we need to sign a minor league goalie to a two year NHL contract, even if they spend all that time in the ECHL.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Jimmy Murphy, a Bruins reporter has Buffalo as one of a handful of teams who have or still are talking trade with Calgary. Mentions Hanifin.

Not familiar with Murphy, seen his name a couple of times, but Dreger follows him, but appears to at least bolster Sanrespravda information.

What players are being speculated on our side of a deal?

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What players are being speculated on our side of a deal?

Would expect Reinhart is the prize from this side if Hannifan is in the mix.  His dad was a Flame for a long time.  The fanbase would eat it up, like when Buffalo had Marcus Foligno.

Would the other parts be Montour & Monihan or a goalie?

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would expect Reinhart is the prize from this side if Hannifan is in the mix.  His dad was a Flame for a long time.  The fanbase would eat it up, like when Buffalo had Marcus Foligno.

I can see the Sabres interest in Hanifin; he would fit in perfectly behind Dahlin on the left side.

But I'm not sure why the Flames would want to move him, they aren't exactly deep on LD and Giordano is ancient.

If they are willing to move him, I'd prefer we stayed away from the blockbuster Reinhart/Monahan chatter and kept it simple: Hanifin for Risto/Montour, with smaller adds to make it work

I don't like Rittich, but the Sabres might. The Flames could use some offensive talent in their pipeline and wonder what they think of Mittelstadt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What's interesting about the Calgary speculation is that it has been going on for a long time. And as you point out to add another layer to the rumored lengthy interaction between the two teams is the number of players that could be in the trade mix. I'm a Reinhart fan. I believe that while he has had good stats his importance to the team goes beyond his numbers. I consider him to be a glue player who enhances the players he plays with. I hope Reinhart has a long tenure with the Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 2

I've said Hanifin & Rittich(1.1 mil) for Montour, Mitts, and Hutton for awhile now. Flames fans say no all the time but it does make logical sense.

Rittich's retention is to offset the cap hit of Hanifin vs Montour for this year.

Ideally we would find a way to make it Risto for Hanifin but who knows if Calgary has changed its mind on him.

Colin Miller instead of Montour just requires adjustment on Rittich's retention for this year to offset the contracts as much as possible.

My Risto trade is slightly bulkier

Hanifin, Rittich (1.375 retained), and Ryan (1.3 retained) for Ristolainen, Hutton, Mitts and a 2nd round pick.

It would be effectively cap neutral besides whatever Mitts' deal is and we swap handiness on D.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can see the Sabres interest in Hanifin; he would fit in perfectly behind Dahlin on the left side.

But I'm not sure why the Flames would want to move him, they aren't exactly deep on LD and Giordano is ancient.

If they are willing to move him, I'd prefer we stayed away from the blockbuster Reinhart/Monahan chatter and kept it simple: Hanifin for Risto/Montour, with smaller adds to make it work

I don't like Rittich, but the Sabres might. The Flames could use some offensive talent in their pipeline and wonder what they think of Mittelstadt.

If they are going to move a guy the quality of Hannifan, can't see them targeting anyone less than Reinhart.  But a trade like that straight up doesn't make sense from Buffalo's perspective IMHO.  That's why my expectation is the trade has to be bigger as the entire off-season to date has been about fixing the F's and this trade would put a hole back into the top 6 (at least for this season) & leave the Sabres w/ at minimum 1 too many NHL quality D.  (Which wouldn't on its face be an issue, but when the team is tight to the cap w/ Q's in net & a hole in the top 6 it is a luxury they can't afford.)

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If they are going to move a guy the quality of Hannifan, can't see them targeting anyone less than Reinhart.  But a trade like that straight up doesn't make sense from Buffalo's perspective IMHO.  That's why my expectation is the trade has to be bigger as the entire off-season to date has been about fixing the F's and this trade would put a hole back into the top 6 (at least for this season) & leave the Sabres w/ at minimum 1 too many NHL quality D.  (Which wouldn't on its face be an issue, but when the team is tight to the cap w/ Q's in net & a hole in the top 6 it is a luxury they can't afford.)

Interesting if it's a multi-player scenario from both clubs. Money wise, take your pick on players, it looks close to a wash. But term and control I would think favor Calgary on some of the suspected players, no?

Is Hanifan better than Risto or Montour, or is he just carrying the rep of his draft status?

Last year he put up 5/17/22 -12 vs Risto's 6/27/33 -2 and Monty's 5/13/18 +13.

He's historically a minus player and he's not an analytics darling. His counting stats are consistently less than our pair.

He makes nearly $5 million per.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Hanifan better than Risto or Montour, or is he just carrying the rep of his draft status?

Last year he put up 5/17/22 -12 vs Risto's 6/27/33 -2 and Monty's 5/13/18 +13.

He's historically a minus player and he's not an analytics darling. His counting stats are consistently less than our pair.

He makes nearly $5 million per.

I'd do it with Risto in a heartbeat. He's inconsistent defensively but that's still better than Risto 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, Scottysabres said:

Jimmy Murphy, a Bruins reporter has Buffalo as one of a handful of teams who have or still are talking trade with Calgary. Mentions Hanifin.

Not familiar with Murphy, seen his name a couple of times, but Dreger follows him, but appears to at least bolster Sanrespravda information.

I don't see anything on his Twitter, where did he mention this?

I don't think Murphy has the best reputation as an insider, but that Boston hockey circle is really well connected.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has good Intel on Hanifin.