2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Eliotte Friedman on WGR's the Instigator Show yesterday said that the Blackhawks GM, Bowman, went on on number of media shows and publicly stated that the Hawks were not considering a full blown rebuild which would involve shedding players like Toews and Kane. According to him this was done to reassure the fans and the top two players on the team that the organization was not pursuing a full scale rebuild. 

Even with some contract offsetting bringing in Kane with his top tier salary is going to make it difficult for us to manage the cap in the near term future. When you consider there probably will be a desire to retain Hall on a longer contract and the need to deal with Dahlin who will soon have an enhanced contract the cap will be squeezed . And if Reinhart is retained and with Skinner on the roster our cap situation will be even tighter, especially knowing that the Sabres will also have some cap limitations imposed by the owners.  

I recognize that Kane is a premier player who still has a few elite years left in his career. For some of the reasons I listed above I still say no to that hypothetical deal. I like what this new regime has been doing in reshaping the roster. They have steadily added pieces and have done it without giving up much or mortgaging the future. My preference is to stay on the same course. 

As much as I hate to say it, it's a business and one that hopefully requires winning. It's gonna come down to KO eventually. That's alot of money to be paying for a bottom 6 player who could at any time end his career. 

I feel for the guy just as much as anyone but we're getting to a point where we are limited to where on the roster we can work within the budget/cap.

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If anyone would have suggested that Taylor Hall would end up on the Sabres they would have been unmercifully mocked?  I'm still shocked that he will be on the Sabres. 

Well what Patrick Kane becomes an UFA then this comparison will be apt. Buffalo would be smart to avoid Kane, his salary and all the drama that will come from him.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Well what Patrick Kane becomes an UFA then this comparison will be apt. Buffalo would be smart to avoid Kane, his salary and all the drama that will come from him.

If you have read my posts on this topic you will note that regardless what Kane's free agency status is I would not make a play for him. On top of that I'm not sure he would want to get involved in the hometown scrutiny compared to the bigger city where it is easier to have a more anonymous personal life. 

If the Sabres want to add a big time goal scorer what they need to do is put Skinner in a better position to succeed. I think with the addition of Staal and another capable winger on the other side hopefully Skinner will return to his prolific goal scoring form. 

Edited by JohnC

I'd gladly take Toews at 3.5m retained.

Heinola (future 2LHD), 1st in 2021 and Copper for Toews. 

He's only scored less than 52 points in the lockout year (48 points) and his last three seasons have been 60 (on pace for 70), 81 and 52 points. 

I know he'd never do it but it's nice to dream.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

As much as I hate to say it, it's a business and one that hopefully requires winning. It's gonna come down to KO eventually. That's alot of money to be paying for a bottom 6 player who could at any time end his career. 

I feel for the guy just as much as anyone but we're getting to a point where we are limited to where on the roster we can work within the budget/cap.

The Sabres need another year or maybe two before they can absorb KO's contract if he is bought in order for it to be feasible. As it stands because of his contract he is immovable. In this point of his career he is a solid lower line player. As you well know the problem with his contract is not its dollar amount as it is the term. Very often when you make a bad acquisition that turns out to be also a bad business decision you just have to live with the consequences. 

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Dreger on hockey insider saying Calgary is exploring trade market for RHD.

My ears perked right up at that, but looking at their roster it's gotta be a cheaper 3rd pairing guy they're after.  I don't see how you go out and give Tanev $4M a year if you don't see him as a top four guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Dreger on hockey insider saying Calgary is exploring trade market for RHD.

They only have 1 mil in cap. Colin Miller or Montour would be 2 players I thought of. I am not sure how you make this work. Maybe do Miller for Lindholm? That isn't a fair trade so we'd need to add a pick or prospect. The money would be doable on our end but bumps us closer to the cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They only have 1 mil in cap. Colin Miller or Montour would be 2 players I thought of. I am not sure how you make this work. Maybe do Miller for Lindholm? That isn't a fair trade so we'd need to add a pick or prospect. The money would be doable on our end but bumps us closer to the cap. 

Rittich.

He makes $2.7, fits the mold of a 1B and is available after they signed Markstrom and Domingue.

Not a fan myself. I'd rather keep Montour and Miller.

Maybe there are other pieces.

• Like (+1) 1

New idea...

I know everyone is high on Joker after his one year with the Sabres, but...would you were Sabres GM would you consider him in a package for a one year older more proven Sergachev from Tampa.  This helps both teams.  Tampa has too many LD and Sabres have too many RD.

Package would look something like Joker, Mitts, and Pilut for Sergachev.

Sabres could then sign Sergachev for 5x$5 million.  This gives Sabres 5 years of prime playing while leading Sergachev right up to UFA where he can then sign a huge deal.

This still leaves plenty of space to sign Dahlin to a 8 year 7 million contract extension next year.  Sabres would move on from Miller or Montour next off season to creat space for Borgen or another young D to step in.

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

New idea...

I know everyone is high on Joker after his one year with the Sabres, but...would you were Sabres GM would you consider him in a package for a one year older more proven Sergachev from Tampa.  This helps both teams.  Tampa has too many LD and Sabres have too many RD.

Sabres could then sign Sergachev for 5x$5 million.  This gives Sabres 5 years of prime playing while leading Sergachev right up to UFA where he can then sign a huge deal.

This still leaves plenty of space to sign Dahlin to a 8 year 7 million contract extension next year.  Sabres would move on from Miller or Montour next off season to creat space for Borgen or another young D to step in.

At face value, I'd absolutely swap Joker for Sergachev.

But we wouldn't easily be able to fit him under the salary cap this year without moving someone of the Risto or Reinhart ilk.  And I don't know if doing that benefits us long-term.

1 hour ago, Shootica said:

At face value, I'd absolutely swap Joker for Sergachev.

But we wouldn't easily be able to fit him under the salary cap this year without moving someone of the Risto or Reinhart ilk.  And I don't know if doing that benefits us long-term.

The other concern is the lack of depth at RHD in the long term. Montour has one year, Miller and Risto two with Borgen and Laakonsen in the AHL. Trading one of the first three is more  desirable then Jokiharju IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting idea hmmm 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The other concern is the lack of depth at RHD in the long term. Montour has one year, Miller and Risto two with Borgen and Laakonsen in the AHL. Trading one of the first three is more  desirable then Jokiharju IMO. 

Depends on the later two and if the team can make up the depth in the draft if Borgen and Laaks can step up.. 

11 hours ago, sweetlou said:

New idea...

No

Another idea that I've been chewing on lately... I think Mittelstadt for Kuemper makes some sense as a trade framework.  Maybe we throw in something else.

The Yotes' seem destined to cut costs and rebuild, and Mitts would add some high end talent to their prospect pool.  They brought in Ryan Jankowski in a top scouting position, and we all know how much these hockey guys are beholden to their past draft picks.  There's a good chance that Jankowski is still a strong believer in Mitts.  Of course, that's assuming we can clear the necessary cap space to make it work.

Edited by Shootica

If Mitts is currently considered around the league as “high end talent” for a teams prospects pool ... the prospect pool must really really really suck ... bad.

If he has a very good first few months in the AHL, then yea, I can see him being in the consideration of developing into a “high end talent” for a teams prospect pool.

28 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If Mitts is currently considered around the league as “high end talent” for a teams prospects pool ... the prospect pool must really really really suck ... bad.

If he has a very good first few months in the AHL, then yea, I can see him being in the consideration of developing into a “high end talent” for a teams prospect pool.

He's 21. You need to settle down. And yes, I know that's obnoxious.

Edited by SwampD

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He's 21. You need to settle down.

I think you misunderstood me.... I’ll say it like this ...

He has plenty of time to develop in the coming few years. I’m not worried at all at this point that he won’t become an NHLer down the road. And hopefully a good one!

I also think RIGHT NOW today, no organization would consider him a “high end talent”. Mainly due to his on ice struggles since being drafted. I think most organizations would consider him a young man “full of potential, but hasn’t put it together yet”.

I hope that reads better as “settled down” 😂

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think you misunderstood me.... I’ll say it like this ...

He has plenty of time to develop in the coming few years. I’m not worried at all at this point that he won’t become an NHLer down the road. And hopefully a good one!

I also think RIGHT NOW today, no organization would consider him a “high end talent”. Mainly due to his on ice struggles since being drafted. I think most organizations would consider him a young man “full of potential, but hasn’t put it together yet”.

I hope that reads better as “settled down” 😂

Of course, no team would consider him "high end talent", but he's a prospect. They absolutely would consider him High end talent for a prospect. He's 21 freakin' years old.