2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

IF And it’s a big IF Kane even entertained the idea of coming to Buffalo to finish his career... if Chicago retained 30 - 35% of his salary, AND The biggest piece (among other pieces) going back was a first round draft pick in 2021, along with Mitts, then I would consider it. Just… Consider it.

Kane is not the same player he was 3, 4, 5 years ago… And that has to be strongly considered. And excepted. No nostalgia of yesteryear of what once was.

Edited by Zamboni

7 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Kane has a 10.5m cap hit, ain’t nobody got time for that. Though Chicago is a team we should take a hard look at for assets.

Heard on Instigators today that their organization sent out a letter to season ticket holders that they’re essentially rebuilding. 

Risto and Okposo would almost equal salary.  Then it just depends on what Chicago would actually want. Reinhart & Mittlestat?  Then fill in the bodies to make salary roster limits work. 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Risto and Okposo would almost equal salary.  Then it just depends on what Chicago would actually want. Reinhart & Mittlestat?  Then fill in the bodies to make salary roster limits work. 

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention..

45 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And just because he was squirted out in Buffalo, doesn’t necessarily mean that Kane wants to come back home and play for the Buffalo Sabres. It’s assuming an awful lot that Kane definitely without a doubt without question wants to play here. I’m not saying he doesn’t… But I think it’s dumb to assume he definitely does just because he has family and friends here. 

Want to know what's really dumb...your assuming that I said any of what you referred to. In fact, I said " I have my doubts".

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Want to know what's really dumb...your assuming that I said any of what you referred to. In fact, I said " I have my doubts".

I was piggybacking off of the “I have my doubts” part. I didn’t assume you thought Kane would definitely want to come here or can come here.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

IF And it’s a big IF Kane even entertained the idea of coming to Buffalo to finish his career... if Chicago retained 30 - 35% of his salary, AND The biggest piece (among other pieces) going back was a first round draft pick in 2021, along with Mitts, then I would consider it. Just… Consider it.

Kane is not the same player he was 3, 4, 5 years ago… And that has to be strongly considered. And excepted. No nostalgia of yesteryear of what once was.

How much longer do you think he can play at the level he’s at now? Hes 31 and had 110 pts in 18-19(his best year) and 84 pts in 70 games in 19-20. He seems like the type that can still put up points as he ages but I haven’t watched him play in a while outside of a couple Sabre games.

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I was piggybacking off of the “I have my doubts” part. I didn’t assume you thought Kane would definitely want to come here or can come here.

Sorry about the backlash. My response about the doubt was meant in a couple of ways...most of which you covered.  All I was doing was responding with what I read.

I also hadn't had my coffee yet. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

Chicago is only trading Kane for a rich return -- it would have to be something like Reino, Mitts, Samuelsson and a #1.

Kane turns 32 next month, but is still a very productive player.  He has a $10.5MM cap hit for 3 more seasons, although the actual cash is $7MM per year.

If Reino and Mitts would cost $7.5MM per year in cap hit between them (although I'm not sure what Mitts' cap hit is if he's in Rochester), then it's another $3MM per year in cap hit, and zero in additional cash, to convert Reino to Kane.

Kane, a RW, will almost certainly be substantially better than Reino for at least the 1st 2 of those 3 years.

A top line of Hall-Eichel-Kane would be freaking amazing.

I'm interested.

• Like (+1) 1

Any Kane trade would likely require some retention in this flat cap world. 

Reinhart and our 1st next year for Kane would very likely be at the center of the trade. From there it would be a matter of assets and money being swapped. I’d throw in Mitts and Risto and see if we can get Murphy from them. They would get younger and we would get another star.

Reinhart, Mitts, Risto and our 1st

for 

Kane (3mil retained) and Murphy 

It would come down to Bowman’s thoughts on Risto and Mitts.

Hall-Eichel-Kane would arguably be the best Top Line in the league. Sounds terrible defensively but offensively goalies would cry in terror 

Edited by thewookie1

6 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Kane has a 10.5m cap hit, ain’t nobody got time for that. Though Chicago is a team we should take a hard look at for assets.

Heard on Instigators today that their organization sent out a letter to season ticket holders that they’re essentially rebuilding. 

Maybe they should tell Toews that 

😂

13 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Maybe they should tell Toews that 

😂

I’ve been seeing some articles today in NYC media (WFAN etc) lobbying for the rags to make a move for him. He has a NTC so it would have to be a team he approves. Towes has already established so much they theorize the only way to top it is to do it in MSG (very full of themselves).

https://www.radio.com/wfan/sports/rangers/hartnett-rangers-absolutely-should-look-at-jonathan-toews

22 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I’ve been seeing some articles today in NYC media (WFAN etc) lobbying for the rags to make a move for him. He has a NTC so it would have to be a team he approves. Towes has already established so much they theorize the only way to top it is to do it in MSG (very full of themselves).

https://www.radio.com/wfan/sports/rangers/hartnett-rangers-absolutely-should-look-at-jonathan-toews

An overhyped trash bag like Toews would be a perfect fit for NYR. 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Trading young players for Kane would turn us into the Blackhawks.

And just to be clear, I mean the 2020 Blackhawks not the 2013 edition.

Kane is still a premier player and his addition to our first line would make it one of the best in the league. But to put things in perspective the Sabres acquired Taylor Hall, a former MVP, and gave up nothing. In order to acquire Kane (if he were actually on the market) we would have to give up a basket of young assets and end up having a straitjacket cap situation because of his bank vault contract that would foreclose a lot of enticing near future options.  No thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Kane is still a premier player and his addition to our first line would make it one of the best in the league. But to put things in perspective the Sabres acquired Taylor Hall, a former MVP, and gave up nothing. In order to acquire Kane (if he were actually on the market) we would have to give up a basket of young assets and end up having a straitjacket cap situation because of his bank vault contract that would foreclose a lot of enticing near future options.  No thank you. 

I honestly think this is wrong. Most of the trade rumors/proposal's I've seen aren't that bad. With the financial environment imposed because of the virus, most say CHI would have to retain money because teams are not willing to spend or have no room.

For ex....one proposal was Kane for Mitts/1st in '21/ and Montour with Chicago retaining 3-4MM. And don't forget that Kane's actual money paid is much less than AAV, I believe he gets 7MM each of the next 3yrs.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I honestly think this is wrong. Most of the trade rumors/proposal's I've seen aren't that bad. With the financial environment imposed because of the virus, most day CHI would have to retain money because teams are not willing to spend or have no room.

For ex....one proposal was Kane for Mitts/1st in '21/ and Montour with Chicago retaining 3-4MM. And don't forget that Kane's actual money paid is much less than AAV, I believe he gets 7MM each of the next 3yrs.

Eliotte Friedman on WGR's the Instigator Show yesterday said that the Blackhawks GM, Bowman, went on on number of media shows and publicly stated that the Hawks were not considering a full blown rebuild which would involve shedding players like Toews and Kane. According to him this was done to reassure the fans and the top two players on the team that the organization was not pursuing a full scale rebuild. 

Even with some contract offsetting bringing in Kane with his top tier salary is going to make it difficult for us to manage the cap in the near term future. When you consider there probably will be a desire to retain Hall on a longer contract and the need to deal with Dahlin who will soon have an enhanced contract the cap will be squeezed . And if Reinhart is retained and with Skinner on the roster our cap situation will be even tighter, especially knowing that the Sabres will also have some cap limitations imposed by the owners.  

I recognize that Kane is a premier player who still has a few elite years left in his career. For some of the reasons I listed above I still say no to that hypothetical deal. I like what this new regime has been doing in reshaping the roster. They have steadily added pieces and have done it without giving up much or mortgaging the future. My preference is to stay on the same course. 

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You can always tell it is the offseason when the "PATTY KANE SHOULD COME TO BUFFALO!" trade ideas start. 

If anyone would have suggested that Taylor Hall would end up on the Sabres they would have been unmercifully mocked?  I'm still shocked that he will be on the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You can always tell it is the offseason when the "PATTY KANE SHOULD COME TO BUFFALO!" trade ideas start. 

We'd either need salary retention, or to dump salary back.

They'd want the moon for a franchise legend and one of the best of his generation.

I can't see a deal that I wouldn't qualify as "Buffalo stealing Patrick Kane"